Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2007, 01:34 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Jan 24, 2008: Canon now making a move?

It has been speculated widely that Pentax Press conference has been scheduled on Jan 24 for their big pre-PMA DSLR announcement (and also the embargo date for NDA).

In previous years, manufacturers would try to schedule big announcement on different days to maximize media coverage. E.g. 40D and D3/D300 announcement was separated by 3 days. Now, it looks like Canon decided otherwise and would do the same on the SAME day as Pentax:

Rumor: Canon Announcing Digital Rebel XTi or EOS 5D Successor Jan. 24

What do you think? Is Canon sensing the potential impact of Pentax break through cameras (as hyped) and now trying to lessen the impact? Or was Pentax not even in their consideration when these things were planned (Pentax? What Pentax?)
Do you think Pentax should reschedule the press conference or make a surprise early announcement before Jan 24? Or go head to head with Canon with their presumed 5D replacement or possibly XTi replacement announcement?

Sony is expected to announce some new camera models as well (A500?). So it's going to be a very interesting Jan & PMA 2008 indeed.

12-18-2007, 01:50 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
It has been speculated widely that Pentax Press conference has been scheduled on Jan 24 for their big pre-PMA DSLR announcement (and also the embargo date for NDA).

In previous years, manufacturers would try to schedule big announcement on different days to maximize media coverage. E.g. 40D and D3/D300 announcement was separated by 3 days. Now, it looks like Canon decided otherwise and would do the same on the SAME day as Pentax:

Rumor: Canon Announcing Digital Rebel XTi or EOS 5D Successor Jan. 24

What do you think? Is Canon sensing the potential impact of Pentax break through cameras (as hyped) and now trying to lessen the impact? Or was Pentax not even in their consideration when these things were planned (Pentax? What Pentax?)
Do you think Pentax should reschedule the press conference or make a surprise early announcement before Jan 24? Or go head to head with Canon with their presumed 5D replacement or possibly XTi replacement announcement?

Sony is expected to announce some new camera models as well (A500?). So it's going to be a very interesting Jan & PMA 2008 indeed.
Canon are definately not above a few dirty tactics to steal other makers thunder.
12-18-2007, 02:04 AM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Re:

Exactly, why Jan 24? They could have announced it Jan21 or even a week earlier. I think they are definitely trying to up one on Pentax. If they announced earlier they'd be old new by the time Pentax make its announcement. (Although a 5D replacement is definitely nothing to sneeze at. They could be in the news for months after)

Tsssk, Tssk looks bad for Pentax, they should definitely reschedule their announcement. The question is when should they do it?
12-18-2007, 02:11 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jeff1101 Quote
Tsssk, Tssk looks bad for Pentax, they should definitely reschedule their announcement. The question is when should they do it?
No, I don't think so ..

12-18-2007, 04:02 AM   #5
Inactive Account

I don't have accurate sales statistics, but from what I can surmise, canon have approx 40% of the DSLR market followed by Nikon with approx 18% - Pentax would be battling to have a 3-4% share of the Global DSLR Market.

Now if I was Canon I wouldn't be to overly concerned with Pentax, in fact I would be ex tactic that Pentax, Oly & Sony are starting to gain the momentum to nip at the heels of Nikon.

Now the sales of any xt/rebel variant canon are going to be huge and I am sure that Pentax will erode perhaps a fraction of a percent of their sales - when you think about it people were falling over themselves to buy the toy camera from canon and not even glancing at the better products on offer from Pentax, Minolta and to a lesser extent also ignoring the Nikon.

Now to my point Canon, if they do announce on the 24th, will be doing Pentax a huge favour IMHO. As you will have 40% of the DSLR owning public reading all about new camera announcements with an enhanced chance that some of them will also check out the Pentax release as well - compared to the 4% of the DSLR public interested in the Pentax announcement.

So in short I think Canon have strategically decided to give Pentax a bit of a hand.
12-18-2007, 04:24 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Mmm I'm not so sure about that.

IMO:
  • people have been impressed by the D300/D3
  • People havebeen unimpressed by Mk3 AF problems and 40D
  • People are probably also a bit fed up by Canon everywhere and whan to see something else, something really new. Canon has brought nothing really new to the market for quite a time.

Canon also knows that now Pentax is backed with quite a lot of money. It will take time but Pentax CAN now annoy both Nikon and Canon in middle/long run in higher end markets. The best way to be sure nothing replaces you is to kill'em right from the start, if it can.
12-18-2007, 06:21 AM   #7
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by Falcons Quote
I don't have accurate sales statistics, but from what I can surmise, canon have approx 40% of the DSLR market followed by Nikon with approx 18% - Pentax would be battling to have a 3-4% share of the Global DSLR Market.
Last time I saw sales statistics it was the other way around and Nikon was kicking canon's ass big time. I dont see that changing. IMO Canon need extraordinary products to recover but I dont think that the Rebel replacement will be rival for the new pentax (althought it might be for the K100D super replacement). It cannot be better that the D40 and hopefully the Pentax will be (at least) a little bit more than the Canon. If I were a Canon's Marketing employee I will do as many announces as needed to darken any other company release. I dont think that it is unfair.

12-18-2007, 06:26 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Why is it always a conspiracy?!!!!
12-18-2007, 06:56 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Sorry no Canon 5D replacement in the works till after the first half of next year and thats a fact. And if it is an XTi replacement it's 10mp, maybe, just maybe a 3in screen, Digic III and still in a crappy plastic shell. How do I know this, because Canon has never made a major upgrade to their prosumer and entry level cameras ever. They only get small to keep them somehwhat refreshed. The XT has been discountinued, so maybe it's an XT replacement which is a garbage camera anyway.
12-18-2007, 07:00 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Have you got those sales figures Gruoso? I will be very suprised if Nikon is anywhere near canon in market share.

It is going to take a lot to knock canon off its perch, especially in the entry level market of DSLR - this is an area where herd mentality rules just cruise around some of the scrap booking sites etc they are pretty much all canon users as they don't want to be the odd one out canon rebels/xti's rule this market with about 90%+ canon users.

Pentax can produce a camera for the same price as the canon xti, with better build quality etc (Oh yeah Pentax already have) and markets such as the scrapbookers will still flock to the canon as is currently being proven.

Take a look at sites like The Best Scrapbooking Supplies On The Web - Two Peas in a Bucket and check the photography discussion board - these girls take there photography seriously and not many newcomers want to cross the canon brigade who all LOVE their Canon - although there is a dedicated group of Pentaxians on there - with my wife flying the Pentax flag every now and again.

People may be impressed by the D3/D300 - but I guarantee you the Nikon D40 outsells both of them put together.
Likewise the canon's for every Mk3 owner there will be approx 10000 xti owners who wouldn't have a clue about focusing issues - cause as far as they are concerned they have a market leading pro spec camera in canon.

Pentax are doing the sensible thing and slowly building marketshare in the entry level and hobbyist market - and they are doing it very well IMHO.
12-18-2007, 07:29 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Not sure why but...

Canon's always seemed to keep a eye on Pentax it seems. Ever since the D was released as the smallest DSLR on the market and Canon had to "one up" it w/ what seemed to me as an interum upgrade of the dreble to have the title of the Smallest DSLR. AND it was regarded as too small by many. Maybe it's just normal for a company to always fear even small losses of market share but I always believed Canon had more of a fear of Pentax than seems reasonable (at least at the time). Maybe it was just from past history, maybe they respected Pentax engineers but Canon certainly seemed (and still seems) to go out of their way to keep them down... Interesting to me, and maybe it's nothing, but Nikon seems to give little notice to Pentax. At best all they did was put AS in their kit lens but that was years (year) later and a bit slow if they were "worried" about Pentax.... Nikon seems to just worry about themselves, Canon worries about everyone else, and as I stated seems disproportiontly worried about Pentax.
Could be a Japanese home market thing (where Pentax popularity is higher than globally). Don't know........
12-18-2007, 07:30 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
Sorry no Canon 5D replacement in the works till after the first half of next year and thats a fact.
Would you mind sharing where you learned of this "fact"? Many in the Canon forums at dpreview do not agree.
12-18-2007, 07:34 AM   #13
Forum Member

Who really gives a monkey about what Canon are doing? They may be the market leader in terms of sales volume and in the professional market...

They need to:

Sort out AF on the 1D Mk3...and make the 5D more professional looking (apparently a lot of 5D-equipped pros are having a hard time at weddings because the 5D minus grip doesn't look professional enough, so I am told).

Having played with the GFs 300D and a friends 20D I can honestly say I prefer my *ist D to both, and you can't compare neither to the K10D...Scene modes for heaven's sake

I will get excited if Pentax bring out the new model over the K10D, and salivate over it for a while, but in the meantime I enjoy the K10D.

The Canon people I know do courses with the camera and they have said that if you don't count the full-frame models, Canon really hasn't made that much progress since the 10D..

Canon who?
12-18-2007, 07:51 AM   #14
Forum Member

I don't care what Canon is going to do. I don't like that non-quality stuff. At home I have an Canon.... photo printer. So I can know.
12-18-2007, 07:56 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by switters Quote
Would you mind sharing where you learned of this "fact"? Many in the Canon forums at dpreview do not agree.
Multiple Canon representatives have confirmed that the soonest a 5D replacement would hit the media is after the first half of 2008. So if it's real it'll probably hit August or September of 2008 and that comes from Canon themselves. Apparently there are too many 5D bodes waiting in the warehouses before they could really think about producing a replacement.