Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2011, 01:49 PM   #31
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
I write in past tense because the Q I bought locked up, so I had to return it to the shop. I cannot wait until it's repaired though, it was *that* fun to use.
I think it is fair to mention that your Q is bought second hand, before everyone is starting about quality controll issues.

11-28-2011, 01:56 PM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I think it is fair to mention that your Q is bought second hand, before everyone is starting about quality controll issues.
You're right, it was bought second hand, but still with full warranty.
11-28-2011, 02:31 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Things like build quality and novelty are very important to me too.
This is probably the most important factor regarding the Q. It's quirky and hip and you say it's fun to use, too. Performance is sort of secondary here. That said, I still can't wrap my head around the price for a "fun" camera. 2x the cost of the Oly XZ-1 ???
The cost of the Nikon 1 is another example of absurdity. I like the idea of the EVF on the J1 but My God, the kits are $1150! NEX-7 w/18-55 is $200 more.
11-28-2011, 03:37 PM   #34
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MrPetkus Quote
NEX-7 w/18-55 is $200 more.
Here is something different. We have adds on TV where Sony is plugging the NEX as a DSLR Image Quality in a small package. So they aim at a different audience that want top in image, but small in size (relatively). They use the 5n for this, and I believe that the dslr next to it is the A900.

11-28-2011, 04:02 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dosdan Quote
Doesn't the Q have raw NR at all ISO sensitivities? If so, hasn't it already sacrificed resolution for smoothing?

Dan.
Yes, but DxO took it into account and their score is not due to raw smoothing:
QuoteQuote:
Note: We found a very strong smoothing for the Pentax Q for all ISOs. To put the Pentax Q on the same footing as its competitors, we estimated the noise levels before smoothing, and it is these “pre-smoothed” noise estimates that we use in our comparisons.
[Source: DxOMark - A quality review of the Pentax Q ]
11-28-2011, 04:03 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All I have to say is that the Q is a great little camera and have not put it since I got it 3 weeks ago. I have no regrets in purchasing it. Pricy yes, but photography is supposed to be fun, if not we should no be doing it. The Q is a great companion for my K-5. It will never replace my K-5, but it is great to have a quality camera to take anywhere.
11-28-2011, 04:30 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dosdan Quote
Doesn't the Q have raw NR at all ISO sensitivities? If so, hasn't it already sacrificed resolution for smoothing?

Dan.
Yep, and we don't get to choose if we want it on or not yet again. DxO accounted for it.

11-28-2011, 09:05 PM   #38
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MrPetkus Quote
Still, if I *had* to have either the Q or the 1 (gun to head, wife and kids hostage) I would choose the 1 without even a debate.
I would choose nothing
11-29-2011, 05:32 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I would choose nothing
If the choice was between the Q or the 1, same here, i would save my money.

If I was in the market for an interchangeable lens cameras in that price range, it would probably either be the NEX-5n or the GXR (if they release a k-mount module)
12-10-2011, 09:27 AM   #40
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
S100 and Pentax Q
Attached Images

12-10-2011, 04:05 PM   #41
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
S100 and Pentax Q
I have seen that too. The difference is small, but why buya Q when S100 can do almost everything you want. Except having that perfect portait lens wich is the No 1 lens.
12-11-2011, 02:18 AM   #42
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I have seen that too. The difference is small, but why buya Q when S100 can do almost everything you want. Except having that perfect portait lens wich is the No 1 lens.
Plastic crap S100? I know, still hugely expensive to buy the Q just for that.
And I own a plastic LX3, so it is not as if I didn't go plastic myself.
12-11-2011, 10:06 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I can see the appeal of a small and beautifully made camera like the Q. For me, the cool factor just isn't worth the money when fixed lens cameras have the same or better IQ. As to a great portrait lens: with that small sensor, there's no way that you're going to get the shallow depth of field that makes a truly great portrait lens.

I agree with Raffwal that having the complexity and cost of interchangeable lenses combined with the marginal IQ of a small sensor combines the worst of both worlds. I have my order in for a Fujifilm X10 to replace a Canon G10 that didn't survive a swim.
12-11-2011, 11:25 AM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter

I think it is rather a hoot that people are going on about IQ of small cameras. None of them have good IQ, really, so it becomes a contest to see whose dog has better breath.
At the end of the comparison, they all have dog breath.
12-11-2011, 12:34 PM   #45
Pentaxian

I would add, it appears that all the Q detractors just blindly and obstineously seem to forget that Q is an interchangeable lens camera.
Sounds like a reality deny to me... or have i missed something ?
Therefore :
- sensor comparison is sound with high-end compacts, and indeed it matched the top notch in June 2011
- lenses comparison is not so limited, if you add to the 5 Q mount existing all the potentials, from CCTV to 6x7 format...
"We" just need a fixed (ultra rectlinear) wide angular (say equ. 20mm), and a luminous longer than 15mm portrait/macro lens (say equ. 85 or 100mm) in Q mount "metal", to be really able to get the most subjects in focus.

Last edited by Zygonyx; 12-11-2011 at 12:40 PM.