Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-25-2011, 09:44 AM   #1
Banned

Photos: Gallery
DxO test for Q

Not to bad score for the Q.

Sitting nice in this group:
DxOMark - Compare cameras side by side

Waiting to see how that Fuji 2/3th snesor will score in future.

11-25-2011, 10:09 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow. That's actually quite impressive! Slightly better than the Olympus xz-1 which is highly regarded and has a larger sensor!
11-25-2011, 11:20 AM   #3

Wow, the Q has more DR than my K20D. Quite impressive for a sensor of that size.
11-25-2011, 11:24 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Well, on the other hand the results are almost identical to the years old Canon S90 P&S camera that I have and don't much use anymore...

EDIT: BTW, the S90 also has a bigger sensor it seems. A system camera with a sensor smaller than an OK P&S camera??? Oh boy.

11-25-2011, 12:40 PM   #5
Banned

Original Poster
But for the best results it is wise to use the Q only at iso125.
11-25-2011, 01:28 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
Well, on the other hand the results are almost identical to the years old Canon S90 P&S camera that I have and don't much use anymore...
Would you use it if it has interchangeable lenses and flash hot shoe? This makes a camera a lot more useful and fun.
11-25-2011, 07:23 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by elho_cid Quote
Would you use it if it has interchangeable lenses and flash hot shoe?
Nope. I may be an archnemesis of the Q, but I hate even the concept. More or less combining the worst aspects of P&S cameras and DSLRs/system cameras. But that's just me, for some it may be an option (although I have a difficult time understanding it...).

11-26-2011, 01:53 AM   #8
ogl
Banned

11-26-2011, 02:07 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote

EDIT: BTW, the S90 also has a bigger sensor it seems. A system camera with a sensor smaller than an OK P&S camera??? Oh boy.
The size per se doesn't matter though, does it - the point is that in terms of picture quality, it's as good. Who cares what size the sensor is? If I had a camera that gave images as good as a K-5 but had a sensor the size you could only see with a magnifying glass, it's still be good. (Although you might struggle to get much subject isolation given it'd have a massive DoF - the only argument in favour of size per se)

I love the idea of the Q for use as a pocketable everyday camera, or as a second body to turn long lenses into (effectively) very long lenses and macro lenses into extreme macro lenses. When it's cheaper, obviously
11-26-2011, 02:21 AM   #10
ogl
Banned

My idea was that Pentax Q became new Pentax high-end version of P&S cameras - instead of A or S, and old Optio serie with 1/1.8" sensor.
It seems to me - good job.
11-26-2011, 02:44 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I must honesty admit, as an avid DSLR user with a K-5 and lots of superb primes: at first I thought that the Q was a joke. But I got one nonetheless because of the fun factor. When I received it, I was honestly surprised by the quality of the little camera. In my feeling it is like a little K-5 in build quality, so to speak. And when I reviewed my results (shot in RAW) I can honestly say it outperforms the K10D. Way nicer (and less) noise, no banding. I can easily shoot at ISO 800 with the Q, with the K10D I wouldn't even think about it.

Yes, I also think it's a good job by Pentax. The Q may be a bit underappreciated, but that will change very soon I think.
11-27-2011, 06:29 PM   #12
Veteran Member

The Q of course has a result which cannot hide it's class (P&S sensor). It has a low iso score of 189 where the K-5 has 1162.

Nevertheless, by sensor size alone, the Q should have scored only 90. This shows that the low iso score of a dSLR can be doubled when using sensor technology as applied in the Q. The Q beats the LX5 too.

Considering the relatively good DR, then the Q is much closer to µFT than µFT is to APSC. Side note: DR isn't limited by sensor size but by production technology / cost / depth of die.

That's all really nice. But I rather like to have a Q mount socket at the back of my iPhone
11-27-2011, 06:43 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Not to bad score for the Q.

Sitting nice in this group:
DxOMark - Compare cameras side by side

Waiting to see how that Fuji 2/3th snesor will score in future.
I'm confused... is the Nikon 1 J1 depicted in the orange graph or am I seeing this wrong?
11-28-2011, 03:08 AM   #14
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
I'm confused... is the Nikon 1 J1 depicted in the orange graph or am I seeing this wrong?
yes and they are about the same at base iso, but the Q is going down the hill very fast after iso200.
11-28-2011, 04:14 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Still, it proves small sensors *can* actually provide very good quality.
Then, well, of course quality drops fast but then that's hardly surprising and IMO that's not the point of the whole concept.