Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2011, 01:20 AM   #46

In all honesty, I have a hard time even thinking about departing from my K-r.

I think it has to do with the company it keeps: DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, & 540FGZ. ^_^;

EDIT: Also seeing that my camera is white, I'd like to wait for an opportunity to replace the K-r with another alternative colored DSLR. Hopefully Pentax makes a Silver K-something next!

Last edited by Kryscendo; 11-28-2011 at 01:33 AM.
11-28-2011, 05:50 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Even though I already placed my order at Adorama, I checked the Amazon site this morning - shows the K-5 as an upcoming deal in 6 hours 28 minutes - should be ~2:00pm eastern time.

Amazon.com: Today's Deals

Click the right button in the "Lightening Deals" box until you come to the K-5.

I'm so glad Adorama started this a little early so I didn't have to play the Amazon game. Also, I won't be near a computer this afternoon anyway.
11-28-2011, 06:44 AM   #48

Photos: Gallery
You can get it at $984.95 @ Abe's of Maine. I am not sure if they are an authorized Pentax Dealer.

Here is the link:

Pentax K-5 Digital SLR Camera Body

Add to cart and use Promotion Code: LOYALTY15

BTW, I am not affiliated in any way with Abe's of Maine. I just receive their newsletter and saw the price and the promotion code.
11-28-2011, 07:05 AM   #49
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by apac Quote
You can get it at $984.95 @ Abe's of Maine. I am not sure if they are an authorized Pentax Dealer.

Here is the link:

BTW, I am not affiliated in any way with Abe's of Maine. I just receive their newsletter and saw the price and the promotion code.
If I were getting the K-5 I would get that deal since Adorama adds 7% NJ sales tax.

11-28-2011, 07:33 AM   #50

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Decisions...decisions...

I currently have the DA 16-45 f4 which I really like - thinking I should just get the body and forgo the 18-55 WR lens.

Any compelling arguments about the 18-55 WR? I want to make my mind up before I start finding this Cyber Monday deal - I have a feeling that these deals might be a very limited quantity and want to be able to pull the trigger quickly.

Edit to add: just answered my own question - I can buy the 18-55 WR lens by itself for $150 shipped - not such a deal to buy it with the body for an additional $200!

I have my 16-45 for over 3 years -- I replace it with 16-50mm..
the 16-45 has produce some of the best picture/colour I will probably ever take in my life.. the WR kit is nice (I don't have it) but I don't think it can compare with the colour of the 16-45
11-28-2011, 07:34 AM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
If I were getting the K-5 I would get that deal since Adorama adds 7% NJ sales tax.
Abes of Main is in New Jersey so I don't see how that would avoid the tax issue.

Abe's of Maine
Raritan Center
5 Fernwood Ave
Edison, NJ 08837
11-28-2011, 07:38 AM   #52

QuoteOriginally posted by TiminyCricket Quote
I was thinking of finally upgrading from my K-10D upon hearing of this deal, so I went to Amazon just now to check the price. It is currently $1,199.00 on Amazon, not $995, even though it says the order would be fulfilled by Abe's of Main. So then I checked out both the Adorama and Abe's of Main web-sites and they both had the camera body for $999... but they are both based here in Jersey and subsequently charge NJ sales tax, which adds $70 to the price. Then I checked out eBay and the stores on eBay which are selling this camera for $999 are ALSO located in NJ... and they too subsequently charge sales tax. I was all ready to finally pull the trigger and buy the K-5... but I refuse to pay sales tax on Internet purchases. The only option left, in which I could still get the camera body for under a grand, is to go with Prodigital 2000's eBay store, which I've heard good things about. The only thing with that is that it ships from all the way up in Canada.

In the end, stupid sales-tax policies (which aren't the sellers' faults at all, I know, but which are instead the fault of greedy gov't.) may keep me from pumping $1,000 into this crumbling economy. Way to go, Congress.
11:15 PST for amazon lighting deal. Log in. sit and WAIT! good lucky buddy! sorry you live in NJ, may be it's time to move...
11-28-2011, 08:10 AM   #53
klh
Site Supporter

I'm in too.

This was good enough to make me decide to upgrade from the K20D. I do a lot of low-light photography such as swimming, diving, and gymnastics meets (high speed and low light!), as well as concerts. It should be a big step up.

I bought it through the Pentaxforums link of course!

The question now is do I keep the K20D as a second body/backup, or sell it to fund a new battery grip.

11-28-2011, 08:14 AM   #54

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by apac Quote

Here is the link:

Yes, Abe's of Maine is an authorized Pentax dealer. But I couldn't find the 2-year extended warranty for K-5 on their website. I found the ones for K20d and K-7 for $99. That's way more than the $20 one offered by Adorama. Any way, can the camera and the extended warranty be purchased separately from 2 different stores? Additional $15 saving would be nice.

Last edited by Respectedent; 11-28-2011 at 08:27 AM. Reason: correction
11-28-2011, 08:28 AM   #55
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by klh Quote
This was good enough to make me decide to upgrade from the K20D. I do a lot of low-light photography such as swimming, diving, and gymnastics meets (high speed and low light!), as well as concerts. It should be a big step up.

I bought it through the Pentaxforums link of course!

The question now is do I keep the K20D as a second body/backup, or sell it to fund a new battery grip.
I would keep the K20D as a backup body. Although the build quality of the K5 seems to improve lately, it doesn't seem to br problem free just yet. Also, may I'm simply not a grip guy...
11-28-2011, 08:45 AM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Respectedent Quote
Yes, Abe's of Maine is an authorized Pentax dealer. But I couldn't find the 2-year extended warranty for K-5 on their website. I found the ones for K20d and K-7 for $99. That's way more than the $20 one offered by Adorama. Any way, can the camera and the extended warranty be purchased separately from 2 different stores? Additional $15 saving would be nice.
As far as I know you can buy the extended warranty from anywhere as long as it is within the 30 days of camera purchase.

Why not just buy both from Adorama?

Edit to add - oh - I see you would be getting the K-5 for $985 from Abe's -
11-28-2011, 08:49 AM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
I would keep the K20D as a backup body. Although the build quality of the K5 seems to improve lately, it doesn't seem to br problem free just yet. Also, may I'm simply not a grip guy...
Agreed - wait until you hold the K-5 before deciding on the grip. Also, I've almost always had a backup body. Not only if one has to be sent in for repairs, I find that if I am doing something on a tripod, it's nice to have a second camera for hand holding at the same time.

Myself, I will be selling my K20D as I also have a K-x.

After all that is said, I guess I shouldn't say anything about grip or no grip as I ordered a grip for my incoming K-5 already.
11-28-2011, 08:50 AM   #58
Veteran Member

Welcome to all the new K-5 owners! (I blew my stash on a big TV this weekend so no second K-5 body for me.)
Enjoy!
And yes, def worth the upgrade over a K-x
11-28-2011, 08:58 AM   #59
Site Supporter

Just ordered a k-5

I really, really was not going to do this. But I just could not resist. Just ordered a new k-5 from Adorama. I have been trying very hard to suppress LBA lately, maybe this is the result. On the bright side now I have an excuse to buy a bunch of WR lenses. OMG, do you think LBA forced me to buy a new camera so I would have to buy more lenses for it.................
11-28-2011, 09:37 AM   #60

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
As far as I know you can buy the extended warranty from anywhere as long as it is within the 30 days of camera purchase.

Why not just buy both from Adorama?

Edit to add - oh - I see you would be getting the K-5 for $985 from Abe's -
I had the same question back in June so I contacted Pentax via their online chat. Here is a copy of the chat:

Please wait while we find an agent to assist you...
You have been connected to Paul C.
Al: I bought a K-5 2 weeks ago. I saw pentax offers an extended warranty for this camera. Can I still purchase this extended warranty or it is only valid if purchased at the same time as the camera?
Paul C: you would qualify for the extended warranty up to 90 days after purchase
Al: Do I have to purchase it from the same reseller? I bought camera from B&H but they are out of stock. Can I purchase it from Adorama?
Al: Also, Is there any registration required? I already registered the camera. Not sure if camera and extended warranty need to be registered at the same time?
Paul C: usually yes , you may need to send a prof of purchase but it's usually not a problem
Paul C: just keep your proof of purchase and the ext.warranty card ( when you get it)
Al: Thats all I had. Thank you.
Paul C: you will need to submit a copy should you need any warranty work
Paul C: Thank you for dropping by, Al, and have a great weekend !
Al: You too. Thanks.
Thank you for using InstantService. You may now close this window.
Your session has ended. You may now close this window.