Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2007, 06:30 AM   #1

New pro thinking

After collecting information from various sources, I'd like to announce my suspicions publically. I think that not only is Pentax going to release the K20D and K200D on Jan. 24, there is going to be either:
  • A K2D top pro series camera with all the bells and whistles will be released before the end of the year
  • OR a new model differentiation- K10D class will become the K100D series, and the K20D will be a full pro camera with all the bells and whistles.

12-18-2007, 06:36 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Seems to me that the K20D is going to compete on the level of the D300/40D.

So then maybe later down the road they would release a K1D which would compete on the level of the D3 and the MarkIII.
12-18-2007, 09:08 AM   #3
Veteran Member

In the march 2007 article in DC Watch Impress with K D Torigoe and K Tatamiya of Pentax Imaging Business, they did say that they were working on a more pro-oriented body - but specification was not finished yet. I believe Photokina 2008 for the "K1D" (or whatever it will be called). At or above D300 in price. The K10D upgrade/replacement will be less expensive. (Canon 40D/Sony A700).

I think there is room for them all three.
Standard/beginner level: K100D replacement "K200D"
Advanced amateur, semi-pro: K10D replacement "K20D"
Professional: "K1D".
12-18-2007, 09:13 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
And maybe more if it wasn't for Samsung ... (think K1000D) but then, there's the 645D too.

12-18-2007, 09:16 AM   #5
Forum Member

I think that it is not time yet for Pentax to announce an Pro camera. It is too early. Maybe 1 or 2 years from now I think. Especially with the money of Hoya.

Also I think that a pro model will give a push of selling the Kx0D and Kx00D cameras. But then there must be more pro lenses. And if they do it then I guess that it will be FF. Then Pentax must make more FF lenses. That will costs some time before we will see that.
12-18-2007, 09:32 AM   #6
JMS

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
In the march 2007 article in DC Watch Impress with K D Torigoe and K Tatamiya of Pentax Imaging Business, they did say that they were working on a more pro-oriented body - but specification was not finished yet. I believe Photokina 2008 for the "K1D" (or whatever it will be called). At or above D300 in price. The K10D upgrade/replacement will be less expensive. (Canon 40D/Sony A700).

One of my "sources" was Popular Photography- this is a quote from their Camera of the Year article:
"What a year for cameras, especially DSLRs! And as this is written, there are still more to come before the page is turned on 2007."

Now, Nikon, Canon, Olympus, and Sony have already had their announcements- but all Pentax has had is the K100D Super.
12-18-2007, 11:42 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JMS Quote
Now, Nikon, Canon, Olympus, and Sony have already had their announcements- but all Pentax has had is the K100D Super.
I think many of us expected the new cameras from Pentax to be announced before Christmas. The two T's of Pentax Imaging Business did talk about the importance of having products out in time for the festive seasons (Christmas). Pity they couldn't make it.

12-18-2007, 02:44 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JMS Quote
After collecting information from various sources, I'd like to announce my suspicions publically. I think that not only is Pentax going to release the K20D and K200D on Jan. 24, there is going to be either:
  • A K2D top pro series camera with all the bells and whistles will be released before the end of the year
  • OR a new model differentiation- K10D class will become the K100D series, and the K20D will be a full pro camera with all the bells and whistles.
Didn't someone (Benjikan?) mention that the new model we're all calling the K20D isn't actually called that at all? So that kinda fits with this....

I'm still holding to my long-ago position, which is basically your two points merged -- the new camera is a K2D (or something else with a different line name), the K10D stays where it is for another year (new model announced in September?), and there's a new entry-level K200D or whatever.
12-18-2007, 02:56 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Didn't someone (Benjikan?) mention that the new model we're all calling the K20D isn't actually called that at all?
I think it will be called Pentax K Tatamiya D or Pentax K Torigoe D.
Perhaps KT D for short.
Hahaha...
Or maybe Pentax K Tatamiya D Signature Edition, in silver-black finish.
12-18-2007, 03:21 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Didn't someone (Benjikan?) mention that the new model we're all calling the K20D isn't actually called that at all? So that kinda fits with this....

I'm still holding to my long-ago position, which is basically your two points merged -- the new camera is a K2D (or something else with a different line name), the K10D stays where it is for another year (new model announced in September?), and there's a new entry-level K200D or whatever.
Nope wasn't me. never mentioned it being called the K20D....That seems to be the name of choice on all of the blogs.
I think that was started on a Chinese blog.

Ben
12-18-2007, 05:39 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Nope wasn't me. never mentioned it being called the K20D....That seems to be the name of choice on all of the blogs.
I think that was started on a Chinese blog.

Ben
One chinese blog said Pentax will be using advertising space on the back of cereal boxes. They had inside information on the new model being called the "Special K"
12-18-2007, 05:54 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by mutley Quote
One chinese blog said Pentax will be using advertising space on the back of cereal boxes. They had inside information on the new model being called the "Special K"
ROTFLMAO!!
12-18-2007, 06:38 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mutley Quote
You got it all wrong, the camera IS the cereal box.
Pentax will be introducing the next generation of cameras to the world.
The PDP. Pentax Digital Pinhole
12-18-2007, 06:46 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
You got it all wrong, the camera IS the cereal box.
Pentax will be introducing the next generation of cameras to the world.
The PDP. Pentax Digital Pinhole
You Blew your NDA..Better get your lawyer
12-18-2007, 06:56 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
You Blew your NDA..Better get your lawyer
I object!

Over ruled!