Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
12-17-2011, 09:38 AM   #106
Veteran Member

Excellent news. In my expirience the sony latest EVF turned to be superior over K-5 viewfinder. Keep in mind how bad pentax PDAF always was, including K-5's one. So, Pentax is the company who doesn't have anything to lose when switching to mirrorless completely.
Let's see what it will be, I just hope it will accept M-mount lenses via adaptor and will have EVF that's not any worse than one of Sony. And will have SR, of course

12-17-2011, 10:15 AM   #107
Inactive Account

Do not make RICHO osaakkaan mirror cameras, only the toys.
Is the Pentax K-5 saakkaan FF followers. or whether we are being cheated.
Pentax fan forever.
12-17-2011, 02:14 PM   #108
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
it's my idea - FF EVIL from Pentax...He-he
Might not be a bad idea, providing something different.

QuoteOriginally posted by Emacs Quote
Keep in mind how bad pentax PDAF always was, including K-5's one.
For a DSLR the liveview on the K5 is very decent though, not up to what most EVIL camera's are doing now but still good though.
If pentax will do another mirrorless i hope they use the same AF technique nikon use with their 1 cameras.
It costs you some pixels but it makes the focus so much better.

And if pentax does a mirrorless they must make sure their Video is top notch, just look how populair the Canon 5D is with indie film makers just because of the video.
12-17-2011, 05:49 PM   #109
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Emacs Quote
And will have SR, of course
it must have, because having a stabilized sensor with mirrorless add another benefit, stabilized VF

12-18-2011, 03:05 PM   #110
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
I find it interesting that at a time when the photographic world is moving decisively to smaller cameras, some people want larger ones. And I'm referring to serious shooters lusting after high quality cameras that are lightweight and compact. Personally, I won't mind if Ricoh/Pentax does produce a FF camera, as long as they keep cranking out top of the class APS-C cameras as well. My Canon and Nikon FF buddies are genuinely envious of my neat little kit of K-7 and Limited lenses.

Rob
I also think that just following along on the heels of Canikon and Sony FF cameras is not going to be a successful bid - unless they do something different with the FF sensor. Make the camera stand out in some way.

Eliminate the mirror for sure, and stuff it in a K5 size body. It would be smaller than any other FF out there and likely cheaper. Keep the K mount.

I'm fine with the video view finder and they have the plus of providing an adjustable bright fullsize view. Also, Pentax would likely find a way to improve focusing of manual lenses on a non-OVF like Sony's NEX and Fuji. I've not installed a Katzeye style VF screen in my K5, because I want to maintain the spot meter capability, which the split lens screens always tend to muck up in my previous K10 and K20.

There's far more buzzz on PF about the NEX and Fuji models than FF (until recent threads, perhaps). If those enthusiasts can find their way to take pics with the video VF, than the rest of us probably can
12-19-2011, 03:35 PM - 1 Like   #111
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
I also think that just following along on the heels of Canikon and Sony FF cameras is not going to be a successful bid - unless they do something different with the FF sensor. Make the camera stand out in some way.
If everyone is going mirrorless, "doing something different" would be to stick with DSLRs
12-19-2011, 05:40 PM   #112
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote

It is a complete misunderstanding. This is the essence of the interview:

"Kitazawa: Although mirrorless is an emerging genre, we don't feel this means we should necessarily be striving to enter this market. Listening to our customers' concerns about the size and weight of SLR cameras, we feel we should try to scale down the size of our products as much as possible."

So. Smaller DSLR's. Hardly any EVIL's.

12-19-2011, 05:43 PM   #113
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
If everyone is going mirrorless, "doing something different" would be to stick with DSLRs
The only one that are going EVIL are those manufacturers that are not able to sell DSLR's in quantities. It is a further fragmentation of the camera market, not the replacement for the SLR.....
12-19-2011, 05:45 PM   #114
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Addendum wrt Sony vs. Nikon.

AFAIK, Sony Semiconductor is a rather stand-alone show with their own agenda. I.e., to become the "Intel" in the world of imaging CMOS. And with their design wins ranging from iPhone to D3X, I must say that they are pretty close.

They will do every effort to make sure:

1. Their big customers don't get upset (Apple, Nikon, etc.).
2. Their big rivals don't get customers.
3. To have technical excellence and fair pricing.

The Sony camera division will not be able to really influence this strategy. Nor will Nikon.

IMHO, every else follows by deduction: E.g., they are ready to have sealed lips or tell any story a customer likes to hear to keep him happy, constructing an aura of exclusivity. People like Hogan just play a role in this context. And at the same time, they will try to sell to as many parties as possible.

All of this is my personal speculation only, of course.

This is probably very spot on....
12-19-2011, 05:46 PM   #115
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
)
If they make it they will make it smaller. My guess is that Pentax first FF camera will be targeted at those who sits on older Pentax glass; pretty much like they did with the 645D....
12-19-2011, 07:29 PM   #116
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
NOTICE!!!

A post containing a certain religious reference which was found offensive by certain members has been edited to remove the reference. In addition, all replys which referred to it it have been summarily deleted as well, since they violated forum rules which state that all political and religious discussions must take place only in the Political and Religion (P&R) forum. Please keep this in mind in the future and refrain from sidetracking threads with off-topic comments, particularly those of a religious or political nature..

Mike
PF Moderation Team

p.s. please do not discuss or reply to this notice or action in this thread. Such replies will simply continue to sideline the thread and will be deleted...

Last edited by MRRiley; 01-18-2012 at 04:32 AM. Reason: typo
12-20-2011, 04:26 AM   #117
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
If they make it they will make it smaller. My guess is that Pentax first FF camera will be targeted at those who sits on older Pentax glass; pretty much like they did with the 645D....
That would be the best reward for Pentax' supporters, and also the most obvious choice as plenty of usable glasses are available.
12-20-2011, 04:42 AM   #118

I'm quite happy with my K5, but would love a bigger, brighter finder. I'd really love something like the FB/FC combo on the LX. Maybe an EVF isn't as good as that now, but it can't be very far from the time when it will be and then I'll be happy to say good-bye to the mirror. The same goes for the focal plane shutter which has already passed it's hundredth birthday. If the long-touted LCD shutter can be made to work then bring it on. So long as I can focus lenses manually and the viewfinder shows me exactly what the lens sees then I'm happy.

It seems that most of the things mentioned in the interview are future directions, not the 2012 model line up. Maybe some of these things will have to wait for the technology to catch up before they are worth doing. That's fine, I'm happy so long as Ricoh/Pentax are considering all options and not just sticking with the current paradigm.
12-20-2011, 05:18 AM   #119

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K5 body FF complete AF over haul. More points and better low light focusing. Tracking if possible. Tethering would be very nice for studio work. Articulating screen or Android app with remote live view and controls(available for Canon). With that app I wouldn't need the articulating screen! WR Flash system 1/250 sync or better. I want WR pancake lenses FF or not always should have been! Marketing marketing marketing! Make some money through promotions! Offer 3-5 year lens warranties especially for DA* SDM lenses. That is ridiculous!!! Then make a mirrorless FF rangefinder that is Weatherproof! Stick with weatherproof as most other companies greatly lack in that department!!! Explore the world. Be Pentax. idk. Market through Nat Geo or something to that effect.
12-20-2011, 05:29 AM   #120
Pentaxian

Yep, a full frame with a very good OVF and a full K mount compatibility.
That'd sell here on the forum