Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
12-13-2011, 09:14 AM   #31

QuoteOriginally posted by drougge Quote
The non-WR versions do. That's two out of three, unless I'm forgetting about some old one.
But new D FA lenses don't, even the 645 ones seem to lack it. (And here I thought 645D was a Real Camera...)

12-13-2011, 09:41 AM   #32

Regarding the effectivenes of the SR in Pentax K-7 there is a well documented study showing that where it is most needed ( 100mm - 200mm ) it's just helping by 1 EV , which I think would be easily matched by a "viewfinder blinking shutter trigger" since you don't even touch the camera with the eye just support it without applying any force on any part of the camera :
Study of the Effectiveness of Shake Reduction in the Pentax K7
If this is true than by removing the SR module ( which is quite large Pentax K-5 Camera - Full Review ) a quite larger sesor , 20MP , maybe more , woult fit in the K-7 / K-5 body which means that in theory you could drastically improve image quality in an existing body with negigleble development cost so such a "stripped down" 20MP APS-H "K-2" camera should cost much less than a newly developped Pentax Ricoh FF . Makes sense to me .
12-13-2011, 09:42 AM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by topace Quote
But new D FA lenses don't, even the 645 ones seem to lack it. (And here I thought 645D was a Real Camera...)
The smc D-FA 645 55mm f/2.8 and smc D-FA 645 25mm f/4 are “AW” (All Weather) lenses i.e.dustproof and weather-resistant like the DA* and WR K-mount lenses.

I don't know any such lenses from Pentax, Canon or Nikon with a focus ring: being dustproof and weather-resistant seems to imply not incorporating a focus ring (which includes an opening in the lens barrel).
12-13-2011, 09:45 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
with All the rumoured products in the FF camp it's obvious there is some move towards shifting that market a bit. Ultimately i think enthusiasts and pros will move to FF as their main system with and apsc for backup, and apsC will move towards entry and MILC users who have different demands and needs
Yes, that, & Pentax will give up its APS-C cameras production to focus on the (so far, rumored, yet quite certain) FF.
Exciting times, which show how much people can excite themselves.

12-13-2011, 09:49 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
Yes, that, & Pentax will give up its APS-C cameras production to focus on the (so far, rumored, yet quite certain) FF.
HAHA not likely, i think APSC will be the core product for some time (with the addition of a MILC apsc of course)
but i will be surprised if no FF comes by 2013. 645D replacement will probably be 2013 or 2014 latest, i would bet on a FF before then
12-13-2011, 10:17 AM - 1 Like   #36
Veteran Member

I find it interesting that at a time when the photographic world is moving decisively to smaller cameras, some people want larger ones. And I'm referring to serious shooters lusting after high quality cameras that are lightweight and compact. Personally, I won't mind if Ricoh/Pentax does produce a FF camera, as long as they keep cranking out top of the class APS-C cameras as well. My Canon and Nikon FF buddies are genuinely envious of my neat little kit of K-7 and Limited lenses.

Rob
12-13-2011, 10:21 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
I find it interesting that at a time when the photographic world is moving decisively to smaller cameras, some people want larger ones. And I'm referring to serious shooters lusting after high quality cameras that are lightweight and compact. Personally, I won't mind if Ricoh/Pentax does produce a FF camera, as long as they keep cranking out top of the class APS-C cameras as well.
Somehow you've managed to read my mind... Can you see me? Scary!

Last edited by causey; 12-13-2011 at 02:09 PM.
12-13-2011, 10:35 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
The smc D-FA 645 55mm f/2.8 and smc D-FA 645 25mm f/4 are “AW” (All Weather) lenses i.e.dustproof and weather-resistant like the DA* and WR K-mount lenses.

I don't know any such lenses from Pentax, Canon or Nikon with a focus ring: being dustproof and weather-resistant seems to imply not incorporating a focus ring (which includes an opening in the lens barrel).
You mean aperture ring of course, they certainly have focus rings. And zoom rings on most of the DA* lenses. Since these can apparently be made sealed, I see no reason the same could not be done with an aperture ring. It's a cost issue only.

QuoteOriginally posted by topace Quote
It's about as real as a digital camera gets (uncrippled mount, good viewfinder), they just don't want to make any more lenses that work properly on the old bodies. (Admittedly you can shoot Tv on any of the 645 bodies to mostly control aperture, and the original even lets you set the aperture from the body in Av mode. (But N and NII do not.) And no bulb with these lenses on any of the film cameras.)

Physical controls are so last century, so I'm happy I don't have to control everything with a touch screen (yet).
12-13-2011, 02:08 PM - 2 Likes   #39
Forum Member

Metaphor:

Guess which one represents Pentax and which one is the PentaxForums member. (And what the football represents).
12-13-2011, 02:23 PM - 1 Like   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Retired Pentaxian Quote
Metaphor:

Guess which one represents Pentax and which one is the PentaxForums member. (And what the football represents).

Lucy is us, CB is Pentax.

The football is what we say we want.

12-13-2011, 03:37 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Livanz Quote
Regarding the effectivenes of the SR in Pentax K-7 there is a well documented study showing that where it is most needed ( 100mm - 200mm ) it's just helping by 1 EV , which I think would be easily matched by a "viewfinder blinking shutter trigger" since you don't even touch the camera with the eye just support it without applying any force on any part of the camera :
Study of the Effectiveness of Shake Reduction in the Pentax K7
If this is true than by removing the SR module ( which is quite large Pentax K-5 Camera - Full Review ) a quite larger sesor , 20MP , maybe more , woult fit in the K-7 / K-5 body which means that in theory you could drastically improve image quality in an existing body with negigleble development cost so such a "stripped down" 20MP APS-H "K-2" camera should cost much less than a newly developped Pentax Ricoh FF . Makes sense to me .
I like this out of the box thinking. I suspect that mounting the sensor solid to a metal plate would help reduce sensor overheating for constant LV and video. (SR keeps the sensor surrounded by air, meaning less heat transfer) Also, SR isn't that useful for tripod work or when dealing with moving humans, panning, etc.

Fuji and Sony aren't bashful about thinking up new ways to configure cameras, Pentax can compete (and has) in this arena as well.
12-13-2011, 06:13 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Livanz Quote
Regarding the effectivenes of the SR in Pentax K-7 there is a well documented study showing that where it is most needed ( 100mm - 200mm ) it's just helping by 1 EV
I am the author of two follow-up studies. In the first, I draw the same conclusion as you did. But in the second, I had to revise my earlier finding. SR with the K-7 is effective for all focal lengths. But effectivity with the K-7 is somewhat masked by shutter-induced blur which SR cannot compensate for, around exposure times typical for 50-150mm focal length.

Therefore, it is NOT true that SR would be a feature which may be dropped in a FF camera. The opposite is true: The higher to be expected resolution in an FF canera mandates that SR is on board. Moreover, the extra size overhead for SR is about constant in absolute terms. So, in relative terms, it increases camera size the most for the Q and the least for an FF.

EDIT: Btw, the sensor package is always mounted to a PCB board. This is true for the K-5 with its SR daughterboard and would remain true w/o sensor shift SR. The sensor cannot be mounted to a heat sink as it doesn't have a closed top. And the bottom side is a ball grid array which must be soldiered to a PCB which provides the bulk of heat dissipation, alongside the glass assembly on the front side.

Last edited by falconeye; 12-13-2011 at 06:21 PM.
12-13-2011, 06:54 PM   #43

Metaphor:

Bahaha! That's one of my childhood faves!

But at this point I think I feel it's more like Snoopy and the Red Baron; Pentax isn't exactly making a lot of friends lately. A single press release would probably solve all this uncertainty in an instant.

Curse you, Red Baron!!!
12-13-2011, 08:02 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Metaphor:

Happiness is a warm 35mm frame
12-13-2011, 08:29 PM - 1 Like   #45
Veteran Member

What Pentax needs ( and I am not kidding we been saying this for years) is to stop trying to be Canonikon (which they just can't be ) and start being Pentax again .
We DO NOT WANT an SLR that looks like the rest of them , we want an SLR that will inspire the same way the ME or the K1000 do to this very day , a camera for photographers. (you say it does not work ) look at fuji.
Pentax can not and I don't thing they will in the near future match canon or nikon focus speed for example, but this is exctly the kind of things that people don't care as long as you have a camera that looks and feels timeless . that has an amazing IQ , and when people holding it they know this is a REAL pentax .
please please Richo and Pentax when you are designing your next camera hold the K1000 on the table the all time.

the world bags for a REAL Pentax we will forgive the last few years, now its the time