Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2011, 09:53 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Bah humbug!!!

12-14-2011, 06:22 AM - 1 Like   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
4 pages of no news about nothing again?!?

Somebody should call Mr. Blurrycam and call him to duty!
12-14-2011, 07:58 AM   #48
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
QuoteOriginally posted by redpigeons Quote
What Pentax needs ( and I am not kidding we been saying this for years) is to stop trying to be Canonikon (which they just can't be ) and start being Pentax again .
So what do you suggest?
12-14-2011, 08:44 AM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What Pentax needs ( and I am not kidding we been saying this for years) is to stop trying to be Canonikon (which they just can't be ) and start being Pentax again .
We DO NOT WANT an SLR that looks like the rest of them , we want an SLR that will inspire the same way the ME or the K1000 do to this very day , a camera for photographers. (you say it does not work ) look at fuji.
Pentax can not and I don't thing they will in the near future match canon or nikon focus speed for example, but this is exctly the kind of things that people don't care as long as you have a camera that looks and feels timeless . that has an amazing IQ , and when people holding it they know this is a REAL pentax .
please please Richo and Pentax when you are designing your next camera hold the K1000 on the table the all time.

the world bags for a REAL Pentax we will forgive the last few years, now its the time
Read falconeye's post a few above this. To get an FF DSLR sensor with SR you need a modestly larger body than APS-C. So bigger than the K-5, and a sensor that has to be mounted to a PCB board with supporting electronics.

Once you go that way, you have a DSLR almost identical in dimensions and style to Canikon. The same was true in the SLR world where the differences between brands were slight, and it's the same for DSLR's. The limitations of the technology homogenize the design.

Pentax was a dominant SLR maker. No rangefinders, and not always a maker of compact cameras (the K1000 being a case in point).

12-14-2011, 09:11 AM   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Once you go that way, you have a DSLR almost identical in dimensions and style to Canikon.
I am not sure how you derived this from my post

I would have derived from my post that a full frame K-5 would have to be higher by the same amount the sensor is, i.e., 8mm. And maybe 12mm wider but no thicker. This is nowhere even close to Canikon FF size. However, if you meant sized like a D7000 (maybe a bit wider), I agree. But that's not a bad size. Not even as big as a 7D.
12-14-2011, 09:36 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Read falconeye's post a few above this. To get an FF DSLR sensor with SR you need a modestly larger body than APS-C. So bigger than the K-5, and a sensor that has to be mounted to a PCB board with supporting electronics.

Once you go that way, you have a DSLR almost identical in dimensions and style to Canikon. The same was true in the SLR world where the differences between brands were slight, and it's the same for DSLR's. The limitations of the technology homogenize the design.

Pentax was a dominant SLR maker. No rangefinders, and not always a maker of compact cameras (the K1000 being a case in point).
the only thing I am suggesting is that people that LOVE Pentax but truly Loves them is Bc of these camera . not BC of the cheap plastic of the 90's and BC of the latest DSLRs that try to catch Nikon and canon but just could not (sorry) other the the really really nice lenses .
everybody that Loves Pentax it is BC of the Pentax cameras that we all still using

these guys usually are annoying , but on this one I think they are right :

12-14-2011, 09:36 AM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote

I would have derived from my post that a full frame K-5 would have to be higher by the same amount the sensor is, i.e., 8mm. And maybe 12mm wider but no thicker. This is nowhere even close to Canikon FF size. However, if you meant sized like a D7000 (maybe a bit wider), I agree. But that's not a bad size. Not even as big as a 7D.
so there is still hope for a digital MX then

12-14-2011, 09:42 AM   #53
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

I would have derived from my post that a full frame K-5 would have to be higher by the same amount the sensor is, i.e., 8mm. And maybe 12mm wider but no thicker. This is nowhere even close to Canikon FF size. However, if you meant sized like a D7000 (maybe a bit wider), I agree. But that's not a bad size. Not even as big as a 7D*.
As I've been saying; "In between the K-5 and D700 in size" brings a sexiness and appeal that we know creates buzz and sells cameras on it's own, above and beyond certain other important specs (see: Fuji X100)

Also, this FF body, if it's real, means Ricoh has a deal, or is in the process of inking an FF sensor deal with Sony Semiconductor. Something certain folks were convinced wouldn't happen, because Nikon wouldn't allow it, or something...

12-14-2011, 09:44 AM   #54
Veteran Member

the only thing I am suggesting is that people that LOVE Pentax but truly Loves them is Bc of these camera . not BC of the cheap plastic of the 90's and BC of the latest DSLRs that try to catch Nikon and canon but just could not (sorry) other the the really really nice lenses .
everybody that Loves Pentax it is BC of the Pentax cameras that we all still using

these guys usually are annoying , but on this one I think they are right :
#askDRtv: How to save Pentax? - YouTube

#askDRtv: How to save Pentax? - YouTube
they are twats for sure. they've obviously never used a k5/7 with limited lenses if they think canikon is more functional and m4/3 has better for,

i do agree though that a good retro style that sets them apart would be a welcome camera (see post above^^)
It's certainly worked wonders for Fuji
12-14-2011, 10:08 AM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
they are twats for sure. they've obviously never used a k5/7 with limited lenses if they think canikon is more functional and m4/3 has better for,

i do agree though that a good retro style that sets them apart would be a welcome camera (see post above^^)
It's certainly worked wonders for Fuji
Fuji made two cameras that looks like a Camera! not like a gadget and people were craving for that for a long time , it is indeed very important for photographers to have a tool that inspires them . but also Fuiji did not cut corners with IQ (and that is more important) and they also priced the X100 and the X10 just right . and these are the things that makes hits.
I only shoot with Pentax , K-5 and K-7 and K20D I love these , and mostly I love the lenses , but the new Penatx lenses are still way noisier then what Canon and Nikon use to , and the auto focus still slower , and what is most important to the average consumer the image processor inside the camera is better for Canon and even for Nikon . JPGs strait of the camera looks just better, as with Pentax the LTD lenses makes magic , (expensive magic) . but always you need to do some tweaks in camera or in post to get the right tones . I know you will jump on me for the last part , this is my personal opinion. but I do believe that the masses thinks like me
12-14-2011, 11:17 AM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree. I have consistently said in other FF posts that about the size of a D300 is what one would expect from next gen FF sensors and supporting electronics. Maybe slightly smaller. Metal reinforced polycarb bodies with very large glass require more internal structural support than APS-C. People forget one major advantage of APS-C is superb tele-zooms at low prices and terrific quality, and in very small form factors relative to 135.
12-14-2011, 11:24 AM   #57
Veteran Member

People forget one major advantage of APS-C is superb tele-zooms at low prices and terrific quality, and in very small form factors relative to 135.
You will get the same «terrific quality» with Sony's 36Mp FF sensor anyway. It's about the lamest reason I've ever seen.
12-14-2011, 11:46 AM   #58
Oog
Forum Member

Hmmm food for thought: With Pentax/Ricoh being relatively silent since October 1, 2011, I wonder if the following corollary could be made.....

For those of you who follow the NHL, 15 years ago the Winnipeg Jets moved to become the Phoenix Coyotes because it was a struggle to make $ with only 8,000 fans per game. For the past 2 years rumors abounded whether the Coyotes would go back to Winnipeg. The NHL was silent. Until they released the news on May 31, 2011. Naysayers were put in their place, and everyone was surprised that it was the Atlanta Thrashers moving to Winnipeg, as Winnipeg now has a market again to support an NHL team.

If Pentax/Ricoh thinks they can market a FF, then they are right to do the research and keep quiet about it. We don't need to know, until it's time. Lose lips sink ships - Pentax's reputation would drop further if a real leak didn't materialize into something real. (Of course, the cynical will argue that releasing a FF is poor management. Do you have access to Pentax's accounting books?) We can only hope that some sort of news (about anything) will be released in 2012.

Now off to enjoy some photography......

PS - I must admit, those retro-styled Fuji cameras are sexy....
12-14-2011, 12:26 PM   #59
Pentaxian

I dunno bout that NHL analogy, but I'd bet the suits at Pentax would just as soon avoid another 645D-like debacle.
12-14-2011, 12:36 PM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
I dunno bout that NHL analogy, but I'd bet the suits at Pentax would just as soon avoid another 645D-like debacle.
What debacle?