Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 34 Likes Search this Thread
12-22-2011, 03:50 AM   #376
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
I can confirm that is true, but I fail to see the relevance of this fact to what I said.

The relevant aspect is that the mirror in an SLR reflects most of the light to an OVF, while the mirror in an SLT lets most of the light go to the sensor. The reflection of light to the AF sensor which both do is besides the point.
Like you said most of the light and not all of it, just wanted to make sure that was clear.

Sony lets 2/3 throught for the sensor and SLR will probably reflect more light but I don't have any numbers so i don't know actually hoe much it differs.

12-22-2011, 03:55 AM   #377
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by garyk Quote
I am a little confused. I didn't know Pentax made any lenses for FF? Am I wrong?
Pentax still make the FA limited and some other FA lenses are still in production.
For digital there is DFA which also offically support FF.
there are some DA lenses that also cover FF pretty well, DA*200 for example use the same design as FA*200 beside some redisgns often the longer focal legths work pretty well. It's only the wide angle that are problematic.
12-22-2011, 06:44 AM   #378
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
yeah, you should have heard what some diehard Leicaphiles thought about the addition of TTL metering on the M5. The M5 was effectively shunned by leicaphiles and the rise of the SLR in the 1960-70's certainly didn't help. However it isn't at all that uncommon for there to be a preference for the M6 TTL or M7 amongst aficionados, after all these years the M5 still retains a negative social stigma amongst leicaphiles.
good for those of us who want a "bargain" Leica. The Canadian M4P is the same oooooh it can't be as good as the German version
When just leaving for a trip (and hence cash tied up) I missed a deal on the Canadian Leica with a a 50 and 90 for $600 I went in the day i got back it sold the day before
I've been kicking myself ever since
12-22-2011, 07:15 AM   #379
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Pentax still make the FA limited and some other FA lenses are still in production.
For digital there is DFA which also offically support FF.
there are some DA lenses that also cover FF pretty well, DA*200 for example use the same design as FA*200 beside some redisgns often the longer focal legths work pretty well. It's only the wide angle that are problematic.
Here are the FF compatible references of today's Pentax catalogue :

1- smc FA 20mm-35mm F4 AL
2- smc FA J 28mm-80mm F3.5-5.6AL
3- smc FA 28mm-105mm F3.2-F4.5 AL [IF]
4- smc FA J 75mm-300mm F4.5-F5.8AL
5- smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited [Silver] & [Black]
6- smc FA 35mm F2 AL
7- smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited [Silver] & [Black]
8- smc FA 77mm F1.8 Limited [Silver]& [Black]
9- smc D FA Macro 100mm F2.8 WR
10- smc D FA Macro 50mm F2.8
11- smc FA 50mmF1.4
12- smc DA55mm-300mm f/4-5.8
13- smc DA35mm f/2.4
14- smc DA*200mm f/2.8
15- smc DA*60-250mm f/4
16- smc DA*300mm f//4

+ never forget they can also "relaunch" production of any valuable other reference at anytime, as they did 2 years ago with 645D.
Of course, there would be need for new optical formulas with more SDM... but the collection is already quite rich for a succesfull launch !

12-22-2011, 07:29 AM   #380
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
Pentax needs more Clintons to survive! Unfortunately (for Pentax), the majority are content with a K-x/r and the kit lens (even the kit lens used to be Sigma till recently here).
I suggest Pentax cannot lure more pros to the brand without a 600/4, or the 250-600/5.6 and FF.

The pro may never buy a 600mm lens, but they will decide to go with Canikon because if they end up needing the glass, they can custom order it, or is some cases order it from amazon.

With Pentax you have to hunt, and hunt, and hunt.

As I suggested before, make them (big glass) a special order item with a 2 or 3 month turn around. You wont sell a lot of them, but you also wont need a big production line. That covers the pros who *might* want one some day.
12-22-2011, 07:40 AM   #381
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
I suggest Pentax cannot lure more pros to the brand without a 600/4, or the 250-600/5.6 and FF.

The pro may never buy a 600mm lens, but they will decide to go with Canikon because if they end up needing the glass, they can custom order it, or is some cases order it from amazon.

With Pentax you have to hunt, and hunt, and hunt.

As I suggested before, make them (big glass) a special order item with a 2 or 3 month turn around. You wont sell a lot of them, but you also wont need a big production line. That covers the pros who *might* want one some day.
Reality is the really big glass isn't a stock item from any of the companies so this is a good idea. I don't imagine Sigma is sitting on a warehouse full of the 200-500 2.8 bazooka they make either

12-22-2011, 07:45 AM   #382
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The lack of pro shooters tied into the brand is, in my opinion,what has marginalized Pentax in the last decade, that and poor marketing and a refreshing yet misplaced sense of humility. Pros don't account for the bulk of sales in any brand, except maybe Hassy, but they do influence the buying habits of enthusiasts and semi-pros. Pentax needs to do anything they can to draw pros to the brand, and unfortunately (or fortunately from my point of view) that means doing things that other pro brands do. The argument that Pentax shouldn't try to be like Canon or Nikon is a bunch of hogwash, that's like saying they shouldn't try to be successful. At the end of the day they're still going to be a quirky little camera company, and that's why we love them.

12-22-2011, 07:49 AM   #383
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I also hear the DA* 55/1.4 is FF capable with the long hood removed.
12-22-2011, 07:56 AM   #384
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Reality is the really big glass isn't a stock item from any of the companies so this is a good idea. I don't imagine Sigma is sitting on a warehouse full of the 200-500 2.8 bazooka they make either
Who can afford it? I'd have to sell my 3 largest lenses to buy it, and then sell the next 3 largest lenses to hire the sherpa.
12-22-2011, 08:14 AM   #385
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

...... .
A pro would rather rent most of her/his equipment !!
12-22-2011, 08:19 AM   #386
Veteran Member

Who can afford it? I'd have to sell my 3 largest lenses to buy it, and then sell the next 3 largest lenses to hire the sherpa.
What you mean if you work out you still can't hand hold it like the promo shot I'm disillusioned now
12-22-2011, 08:21 AM   #387
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RuiC Quote
A pro would rather rent most of her/his equipment !!
at least the stuff at that end of the spectrum. Even if you use it regularly you likely will lease it rather than buy, it's a cleaner tax right off, lot's of guys i know lease even their bodies
12-22-2011, 08:59 AM   #388
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
What you mean if you work out you still can't hand hold it like the promo shot...
That's actually not a promo shot but one by the Italian nature photographer and reviewer "Juza":

Juza Nature Photography - Sigma 200-500mm F2.8 EX DG on the field
12-22-2011, 09:33 AM   #389
Veteran Member

My take on the interview is that Pentax officials are happy under Ricoh and now have some money to think about future products. I wouldn't expect much different for two years. Then many a mirrorless FF camera.

Until then there is existing cameras to update. I would think the K-r replacment will be announce at CES/PMA in January and the K-5 replacement announce at CP+ in Febuary. I am thinking for the time being the K-mount Mirrorless camera will be a Ricoh modual.

Now for the two cameras to be updated early next year from the interview I would expect a slightly smaller camera and a 100% viewfinders, which for the K-r class camera would be a first even if it is still a pentamirror. Since viewfinders where mention several times in the interview and also in the Olympus interview I am kind of expecting hydbrid viewfinders. In Pentax case it it might be using Samsung's transparent OLED as a layer in the viewing screen. Then again Pentax could use their hydrid viewfinder technology that they have a patent for. Still it seems like the Samsung option is a little better.

A true dslr APS-C camera slightly smaller than the K-r with a hydrid viewfinder and takes K-mount lenses would be really nice. It might even be smaller than a NEX-7. Then our DA Limited pancale lenses to go with it. Then give it the WR treatment.

Anyhow, just a few thoughts. It should be an exciting year for Pentax.

Dave
12-22-2011, 09:58 AM   #390
Veteran Member

I know that some companies keep a product "bull pin". Products that are 80+% developed but not in production. The 645D is probably a good example of a product that Pentax had in the bull pin for several years. The K-5 replacement would have been in development before the K-5 was ever launched so I doubt we will see Ricoh have much impact on the replacement.

Pentax probably has a mirror-less APS-C prototype. Pentax probably has a FF prototype. Pentax probably has a handful of lenses that have been designed, but have not been put into production. The screw drive system is still supported, so Pentax could put a lot of the old FA glass back in production with minimal cost.

I think next year we will see at least 3 new lenses and 2 new bodies (K-r/K-5 replacements). Pentax could clean up its lens line up as it is a little cluttered.