Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2011, 06:15 PM   #121
Veteran Member

:Sigh: I just want a full frame DSLR, is that too much to ask? Are they trying to drive me to Nikon? I guess I'll just have to wait and see if this rumor is true, but I don't suppose there's any point in hoping for a real DSLR after this new gadget of a camera is announced? What a sad end to a 30 year relationship.

Here's hoping....

12-17-2011, 06:39 PM   #122
Veteran Member

Note the cameras this photographer uses for fun. Not a single DSLR or mirrored camera for that matter. You'd hard pressed based on the sample photos to say he doesn't know about image quality of cameras. And yes, I think this guy really qualifies as a "pro." Well I'm assuming if you do promo shoots for the Oscars with Steve Martin and billboards for a living you are a pro.....

Why I Shoot So Many Images as A Professional Photographer

This is a very good forum too by the way if you are an MFT or X100 or GXR user. This forum and Serious Compacts are the best two I've found.
12-17-2011, 06:40 PM   #123
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ok, I've been corrected that the blog article indeed talked about a 35mm mirrorless. I think that Pentax will do a vanilla 35mm dSLR in any case then. So, assuming that Pentax would have 2 FF bodies where one is K mount, I'll reconsider the requirement for a new mount for mirrorless. OTOH, Pentax is likely to soon release an APS-C mirrorless, so there already may be a mirrorless Pentax mount soon and it may well support FF like Sony's E mount.

In any case, if a mirrorless FF K mount is done, Pentax could still make a retractable zoom kit lens and be competitive regarding size. After all, a FF mirrorless wouldn't be required to be the smallest system camera. But my guess would go to a new mount for mirrorless whatever be the sensor size. If only to attract users from other systems via available adapters.
12-17-2011, 06:41 PM   #124
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by K1D27H:
Flange focal distance for K-mount (45.46mm) remains to be a problem with the mirrorless system unless they are going to ditch the K-mount entirely.
Why do they have to ditch the K-Mount?
This seems to be an article of faith, ie, it's not supported by evidence. Pentax is primarily a fine-lens company, therefore all the lenses need to be sh!tcanned. Yeah, right. Ricoh spent a pile of money on Pentax, therefore Pentax will be shut down. Uh-huh. We're all doomed and going to hell! Hold me back...

12-17-2011, 06:46 PM   #125
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
I typically agree with what you say, but here I disagree. The direct translation is that they are "doing" the FF version of mirrorless, and they are "thinking" about 645d mirrorless. The nuance I sense is that FF is a done deal, and 645d still in early stages.

I will be buying this issue, and keep it to myself (lol).
I thought that they are thinking of doing either or both of them. I did not sense that FF is done deal. Here is the quote that said that:

"そこに、さらに35mm判フルサイズや、645サイズのレンズ交換式のミラーレスカメラもやろうとしているというんだから、その、いけいけどんどん、ぶりには驚く。"

In this sentence I do not see where they say they are doing FF version and 645 is in early stages.
12-17-2011, 06:46 PM   #126

I would see a Ricoh branded FF GXR module but they wouldn't put that out under the pentax brand and risk losing conservative customers over an innovative idea
12-17-2011, 06:55 PM - 2 Likes   #127
Site Supporter

Are you kidding me? An APPLE mobile telephone with a touchscreen and a built-in iPod? RIDICULOUS! IT WILL NEVER WORK!

Hold on a second.

Um, is this 2007? Oh sorry, wrong year.

[Hops back into time machine]
12-17-2011, 06:57 PM   #128
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Whatever Pentax ends-up doing in regards to FF (assuming aything), I am willing to bet a good deal the large majority of the Pentax community won't be happy with it!

12-17-2011, 07:03 PM   #129
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
Whatever Pentax ends-up doing in regards to FF (assuming aything), I am willing to bet a good deal the large majority of the Pentax community won't be happy with it!
Whatever Pentax-Ricoh ends up doing, I'll bet that the majority of Pentax owners won't even notice. We psycho-dweebs posting here on PFC/N&R are probably not representative of total Pentax users.
12-17-2011, 08:01 PM   #130
Banned

FF mirrorless...yes !

12-17-2011, 08:20 PM   #131
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zxaar Quote
I thought that they are thinking of doing either or both of them. I did not sense that FF is done deal. Here is the quote that said that:

In this sentence I do not see where they say they are doing FF version and 645 is in early stages.
Well, I disagree.
12-17-2011, 08:26 PM   #132

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
The lenses are designed to focus on the sensor. If you move the sensor closer you change the focal plane. Moving the sensor that close means than your old lenses will not be able to focus. Lenses need to be redesigned if you change the register distance. That is the very simple version.
That still doesn't explain why mirrorless automatically means K-mount is dead and buried.
12-17-2011, 09:02 PM   #133
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by zxaar Quote

I agree with your interpretation - the sentence talks about them considering doing mirrorless cameras, including formats such as 35mm full frame and 645 format. There is nothing definite about that sentence. Note the use of the particles や and も.

Also from the sentence I get the feeling they are talking about the longer term - I wouldn't necessarily interpret that to mean the cameras are imminent (or even next year).
12-17-2011, 09:08 PM - 1 Like   #134
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wjjstu Quote
That still doesn't explain why mirrorless automatically means K-mount is dead and buried.
I think what those who say K-mount will be "dead" are referring to the fact that if Pentax released another professional camera mount, they *could* no longer produce future K-mount lenses. For example, if a mirrorless mount is introduced, sustaining (i.e. introducing new lenses for) K-mount, Q-mount, and <professional-mirrorless>-mount would be seen as a less-profitable business practice than just dropping K-mount. Hence, no more K-mount DSLRs (or new lenses for those hanging on to K-mount DSLRs). Olympus made a similar move with their 4/3rds mount line a couple years back. Doesn't mean Pentax would follow suit necessarily...

I don't think anyone is suggesting that Pentax would release a new mirrorless mount without a K-mount adapter. The adapter would likely allow full operation of K-mount lenses on the new mirrorless mount (similar to 4/3rds and micro-4/3rds IIRC). So in that sense, K-mount wouldn't be "dead", on the contrary it would be fully usable. However, K-mount lenses would likely be much bulkier (and perhaps more expensive) than their mirrorless-mount alternatives. Thus, K-mount lenses could lessen in popularity (and perhaps value).

There's a lot of "could"'s and "likely"'s in that explanation on purpose, and these aren't necessarily my views, I'm just trying to help out.

Last edited by jeffshaddix; 12-17-2011 at 09:26 PM.
12-17-2011, 09:40 PM - 1 Like   #135
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
I agree with your interpretation - the sentence talks about them considering doing mirrorless cameras, including formats such as 35mm full frame and 645 format. There is nothing definite about that sentence. Note the use of the particles や and も.

Also from the sentence I get the feeling they are talking about the longer term - I wouldn't necessarily interpret that to mean the cameras are imminent (or even next year).
You guys interpret. I don't. It's my first language.