Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 34 Likes Search this Thread
12-17-2011, 09:17 AM   #16
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Sounds interesting... any chance you could translate the blog for us?

What about the FF and 645D mirorless?
Aren't those terms part of the article?
As I understand - no 645D mirrorless - it's just a guess. As for FF EVIL - it could be real.

12-17-2011, 09:21 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sounds interesting... any chance you could translate the blog for us?

What about the FF and 645D mirorless?
Aren't those terms part of the article?
The first half of the article talks about the book he wrote with 2 others on Q. He says it is indeed a small camera, but it is packed with "macho" features often found in high end model. He says it is easier said than done to take good pictures with Q if you are to venture out of auto mode. That's why he wrote the book.

The second part of the article talks about the up coming issue of this magazine. Of the 8 people he interviewed, mr kitazawa was the most attention grabbing of all. They do intend to come out with FF mirrorless, and they are pondering about mirrorless 645d. In the end, mr tanaka talks about how Pentax never shyed away from having multiiple mounts in their line up, making him believe that Pentax going into FF arena this way is along the line of company tradition.

He thinks Pentax is better off under Ricoh.

This is by far the most reliable info you guys have had so far for sure.

Last edited by Fontan; 12-17-2011 at 09:26 AM.
12-17-2011, 09:28 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote

This is by far the most reliable info you guys have had so far for sure.
Understatement of the year ^^

What sensor, though. I'm kinda wondering how this could mean anything other than a pending or finalized deal with Sony Semiconductor. Great things could come to Pentaxians from that, beyond mirrorless.

Last edited by jsherman999; 12-17-2011 at 09:36 AM.
12-17-2011, 09:40 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Understatement of the year ^^

What sensor, though. I'm kinda wondering how this could mean anything other than a pending or finalized deal with Sony Semiconductor. Great things could come to Pentaxians from that, beyond mirrorless.
Nothing about the sensors was mentioned. Perhaps nothing needs to be mentioned at all, as Sony got this sector of the market pretty much cornered at the moment. I don't see Pentax going back to Samsung, or to go to Fuji. As you said, it will be a sony sensor . . . .

12-17-2011, 10:01 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Well a mirrorless full-frame is still a full-frame, right?

Wonder how they'll pull that off with the k mount, though.
If they dont, they are suggesting a change of systems. If that is the case, I cant see any reason I would change to this one. :P
12-17-2011, 10:04 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
EVIL FF? No thanks.
12-17-2011, 10:05 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Similarly, would the mirrorless 645D not have a 645d mount?

12-17-2011, 10:10 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Yep it's still a mirrorless... A sucky one, cuz they can't do that without dumping K-mount.
12-17-2011, 10:13 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Hm.... kind of disappointed.

But if Pentax have mirrorless FF in the body of Leica-like or Pentax K1000-like, then will be interested.

No matter what, ANY FF is a good start!!!
12-17-2011, 10:26 AM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by lflee Quote
any ff is a good start!!!
+100500
12-17-2011, 10:33 AM   #26
Veteran Member

My guess is that the K-3 will be a 24MP body. But I'm not sure how exciting that will be for K-5 owners(more resolution mainly). And so as a precursor to adding excitement, I think the FF mirorless will be the big ticket item next year. Not to mention that Pentax/Ricoh will likely be the first company to deliver it.

But what would really kick ass(I think) is if Pentax would put out an APS-C and FF that would yet again become the camera to beat for the next two years
With Sony/Nikon/Pentax all using the same sensor I think Pentax is going to have to do more with the K-3 than just put in the new sensor. The support technologies will have to be improved as well. A new 21-point AF with smaller more accurate points. An improved SR that activates faster. 2 SDXC card slots. Larger OVF with better magnification to work better with MF lenses. I think there are several things Pentax could do to make the K-3 attractive with the 24MP sensor. I skipped the K-5 mainly because of the support technologies. Coming from the K-7 the 24MP sensor would be a big step up in both resolution and performance, but it will depend on the support technologies. I'm not going to buy another camera with a golf ball sized center AF point.

I think a Pentax FF EVIL with high quality glass is exactly what Pentax needs right now. An EVIL MF could be the size of the K-7 and with a could of good lenses it could be an awesome system.
12-17-2011, 10:36 AM   #27
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
If they dont, they are suggesting a change of systems. If that is the case, I cant see any reason I would change to this one. :P
Pentax isn't discontinuing the k-mount, that's for sure. That's would be like shooting yourself in the foot.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-17-2011, 10:43 AM   #28

Mirrorless Full Frame? Uh, no. Just no. A company should grow but going against PENTAprism refleX is a bit too bold for me.
12-17-2011, 10:50 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Wow....

let's hope it's a FF Rangefinder Leica killer - with a GREAT viewfinder. That would be something Pentax could do really, really well, and finally a camera to match the limiteds, something we've been waiting for since the film days.

And Hybrid Electronic Viewfinders aren't all bad - look through a Fuji sometime. Fantastic bloody things!

Cheers,
Cameron
12-17-2011, 10:53 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobell69 Quote
While I find this very interesting and innovative, I am still looking to see what they are planning with respect to the replacement of the KR and the K5. Also what are their plans with respect to the current lens lineup?
Well, if the level of commitment to mirrorless of Pentax is so high to present a full frame one, it would be easy to predict that K-5 and K-r could be the last reflex cameras from Pentax.