Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 34 Likes Search this Thread
12-17-2011, 10:55 AM   #31
Veteran Member

From the bottom of my heart: evil ff pentax: Y E S !!!
You can have your K3 with whatever, let me have an evil ff. If that is around the corner, then yes, I'll take an evil turn. With or without evf, but with flipscreen. Oh yes.

12-17-2011, 10:55 AM - 2 Likes   #32

Photos: Gallery
12-17-2011, 11:02 AM - 1 Like   #33

QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
let's hope it's a FF Rangefinder Leica killer - with a GREAT viewfinder. That would be something Pentax could do really, really well, and finally a camera to match the limiteds, something we've been waiting for since the film days.

And Hybrid Electronic Viewfinders aren't all bad - look through a Fuji sometime. Fantastic bloody things!

Cheers,
Cameron
Flange focal distance for K-mount (45.46mm) remains to be a problem with the mirrorless system unless they are going to ditch the K-mount entirely. Something I do hate to see it happens. And personally, I find an adapter for the lenses rather awkward.
12-17-2011, 11:04 AM   #34

Hahaha I can't believe I'm looking at a meme on this forum. That made me crack up hard.

Now, a more serious question/concern. While I've always been wary about EVIL systems, can't they keep the K-mount? Clavius mentioned they can't do that without dumping the mount, and I'm wondering if that's a technical/engineering issue I'm not aware of.

And any chance it might be an SLT instead of a fully mirrorless system?

12-17-2011, 11:04 AM   #35
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by K1D27H Quote
Mirrorless Full Frame? Uh, no. Just no. A company should grow but going against PENTAprism refleX is a bit too bold for me.
It's the best move for pentax to move into FF area. switch your brain on
12-17-2011, 11:05 AM   #36
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tjk911 Quote
And any chance it might be an SLT instead of a fully mirrorless system?
SLT is stone age idea...
12-17-2011, 11:06 AM   #37
Forum Member

So there will be a new mount and lenssystem and an adapter like Sonys for K-mount?

Digital Camera Lens Adapter | α NEX Camera Mount Adapter | LA-EA2 | Sony USA

12-17-2011, 11:07 AM - 2 Likes   #38

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
It's the best move for pentax to move into FF area. switch your brain on
Uh, I just voiced my opinion. There is no need for an insult. It is not like I am asking people to believe the same thing as I do.
12-17-2011, 11:20 AM   #39
Veteran Member

I don't know why people think Pentax will kill the K-mount just because they bring out a FF EVIL. There is no reason to think that. The K- series will live on for many years. A new line of lenses with a new AF and newer coatings/designs would be welcome. Samsung is doing some innovative things with their new lenses. I kind of like the i-function of their new glass.

Yes, it will mean a new lens system, but older K-mount lenses would work with an adapter.

I think an E-P3 on steroids is just what Pentax needs. Of course if I was the designer I would dump the 3/2 format as well and move to something that makes better use of the image circle like a 4/3 or 5/4 aspect ratio. Square would be even better, but I think some Pentax users would need therapy if Pentax did that.

A 645 EVIL with a 45mm f/2.0, 80mm F/2.0, & 140mm f/2.8 and I will be putting my Contax on e-bay.

Last edited by Winder; 12-17-2011 at 11:26 AM.
12-17-2011, 11:22 AM   #40
Forum Member

Oh, please. Mirrorless IS THE FUTURE, whether you like it or not. Have you tried Sony's SLT-A65? The EVF is amazing, you can zoom right there - making MF very easy.
12-17-2011, 11:22 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Mirrorless isn't the best way to go for full-frame. I don't think it would be a good idea to maintain so many different systems at once. PENTAX users have so many full-frame lenses, and we want to maintain full compatibility with them. PENTAX has historically tried to maintain as much compatibility as possible with legacy optics. Let's hope that any upcoming full-frame camera will natively use the K-mount. Perhaps the answer is better live view, with faster contrast-detection autofocus, focus peaking, and other new or improved features?

--DragonLord
12-17-2011, 11:27 AM   #42

I don't have much experience with EVIL cameras but from what I can tell, if we can bypass the mirror mechanism, it means no more pentaprism, no more having to cover up the viewfinder from the user's side to prevent light leaking in during extended shots, and no more mirror flap shake.

Of course, there are downsides. One I hear often is that because it does not have a mirror, the sensor is essentially exposed at all times and can thus get hot. The hotter it is, the worse noise becomes. Also I have heard batteries drain faster but I am not sure how that would compare to a reflex camera as that reflex mechanism can make a world of difference.

If these rumors prove to be true, and Pentax has some quality sensors in their body, they could very well make a "Kick in the door" entrance with these models.
12-17-2011, 11:30 AM - 1 Like   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kryscendo Quote
I have heard batteries drain faster but I am not sure how that would compare to a reflex camera as that reflex mechanism can make a world of difference.
A continuously active image sensor, especially a full-frame one, along with an LCD displaying the image on the back of the camera or in an EVF, will drain a battery far faster than a reflex mirror moving up and down every few seconds.

--DragonLord
12-17-2011, 11:31 AM   #44
Forum Member

It´s perfect!
I can buy a little pancake for the new mount and do discrete streetphoto with that silent FF, and then put my Sigma 100-300 with a screw-af-adapter for birds in the forest.

Last edited by mrmentera; 12-17-2011 at 11:49 AM.
12-17-2011, 11:41 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Furthermore, a full-frame sensor poses a substantial challenge in cooling. Full-frame sensors heat up much faster than APS-C sensors and will be very difficult to keep cool in a small camera body. This is why all of the features otherwise implemented in an EVIL camera should be put in the live view mode of a reflex camera instead.

Sorry for the duplicate posts - the system had hung for several moments while I tried to post this message.

--DragonLord

Last edited by bwDraco; 12-17-2011 at 11:48 AM.