Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 34 Likes Search this Thread
12-17-2011, 12:31 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tjk911 Quote
How so? It seems to have a fair bit of potential even though it's definitely not my cup of tea.

My main concern however is that Sony uses the same mount for their SLRs and SLTs, while a different one for their NEX system.

If Pentax comes out with an EVIL FF, I'd rather it be able to use the K-mount (something almost every poster here has echoed lol)
SLt is a dinosaur idea Sony revived. I gave them Machine gun capability and cost them performance (at least 1/3 stop) Sony already gets the worst preformanc out of their sensor of the 3

I also think given Ricoh's past history they will do something very different (look at the GXR series) Pentax also has taken the road less traveled many times so it's a good match

12-17-2011, 12:32 PM - 1 Like   #62
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
If Pentax does not have solutions to the problems of heat and SR then they would not be considering FF EVIL. Do people people really think that Pentax has not thought about these things?
You're wrong on this one; we'll just be asked to cope with all those issues - same as for the current mirrorless toys. They can't solve what cannot be solved (i.e. sensor/electronics/EVF will have to be powered and working just to be able to see through that d*mn thing).

Seeing with your own eyes (with an optical instrument) will never be obsolete. But photography is now about gadgets, rather than seeing. I'm looking forward when this forum will applaud the inclusion of Tetris in the EVF... NOT!
12-17-2011, 12:38 PM   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looking at K-5 debacle, I cannot to a certain extent blame some of you for actually thinking that you know better than Pentax engineers. But, these engineers are probably not as stupid as you think.
12-17-2011, 12:40 PM   #64
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Seeing with your own eyes (with an optical instrument) will never be obsolete. But photography is now about gadgets, rather than seeing. I'm looking forward when this forum will applaud the inclusion of Tetris in the EVF... NOT!
Are you that stuck in the '90s? It's all about Angry Birds now.

12-17-2011, 12:41 PM   #65

What K-5 debacle? From the looks of it, the K-5 has one of the best sensors out on the market according to DXO.

So where? Debacle where? Do you just like using the word because I have seen a "K-r debacle," a "645D debacle" and now a "K-5 debacle."

Where?!
12-17-2011, 12:43 PM   #66
Veteran Member

I've looked through EVF's quite a few times, and hated it every time. (e.g. I've owned the NEX5) The image on a EVF seems so fake. And that logical, because it IS fake.

Doing photography via a screen on the back of a camera blows chunks. I've owned liveview-capable camera's ever since liveview came out. And I think I've used it about twice.
12-17-2011, 12:44 PM   #67

QuoteOriginally posted by Kryscendo Quote
What K-5 debacle? From the looks of it, the K-5 has one of the best sensors out on the market according to DXO.

So where? Debacle where? Do you just like using the word because I have seen a "K-r debacle," a "645D debacle" and now a "K-5 debacle."

Where?!
He probably refers to the sensor stain problem found in the earlier units of K-5, Kryscendo.

But again, D7000 and SLT 55 do share the very same sensor. So it is a matter of calibration by each company's engineers, I guess.

12-17-2011, 12:44 PM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
According to Pete Fang from DPreview, Mr. Kitazawa, who is head of Pentax's camera R&D, told a Japanese DC Magazine that Pentax is working on a mirror-less 35mm full-frame camera "and..." is even considering a mirror-less 645D.
We should await the article been published. As for now, it talks about mirrorless, 35mm FF and 645. And I guess Pentax now really works on all 3 topics, besides the mandatory APS-C upgrades. AFAICS, the article said that there won't be a 645 mirrorless which is the opposite of the rumor.

So, until further notice, I speculate that this means that Pentax works on a mirrorless and a FF, but not necessarily a mirrorless FF.
12-17-2011, 12:45 PM   #69
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kryscendo Quote

Where?!
The K-5 sensor stains was a pretty big screw-up. The AF issues have not been huge, but well documented. There has been some serious QC issues in the past. SDM, sensor stains, shutter vibration.... Not quite a debacle, but not the smoothest couple of years either.
12-17-2011, 12:47 PM   #70
Veteran Member

This would mean dumping the K-mount, because mirrorless will allow for a much closer registry distance.

Of course, maybe you can still use your 'old' and 'retired' FA's and DA's with some kind of adapter. But it's like running a MSDOS emulator on Windows 7, to run a very old program you still use. A switch to a different, more serious and professional platform, with real DSLR's, would then start to appeal to me.

I was afraid Pentax would slap their user base in the face. Instead they chose to stab them in the back.

If this rumor is true, then this goes against what Pentax stated: moving to a more towards equipment for the professional and serious amateur. They promised more professionalism, but chose the dinky-toy route.

... On the other hand. I'll finally be able to buy some more expensive glass. I predict people are gonna dump their DA's on ebay.

Last edited by Clavius; 12-17-2011 at 01:29 PM.
12-17-2011, 12:51 PM   #71
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
We should await the article been published. As for now, it talks about mirrorless, 35mm FF and 645. And I guess Pentax now really works on all 3 topics, besides the mandatory APS-C upgrades. AFAICS, the article said that there won't be a 645 mirrorless which is the opposite of the rumor.

So, until further notice, I speculate that this means that Pentax works on a mirrorless and a FF, but not necessarily a mirrorless FF.
I typically agree with what you say, but here I disagree. The direct translation is that they are "doing" the FF version of mirrorless, and they are "thinking" about 645d mirrorless. The nuance I sense is that FF is a done deal, and 645d still in early stages.

I will be buying this issue, and keep it to myself (lol).
12-17-2011, 12:53 PM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
I've looked through EVF's quite a few times, and hated it every time. (e.g. I've owned the NEX5) The image on a EVF seems so fake. And that logical, because it IS fake.
You'll get the FAKE anyway, dude
But for me the NEX-5N (N!) EVF is superior in regard of focus accuracy. The MF is a joy now.
12-17-2011, 01:01 PM   #73
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Are you that stuck in the '90s? It's all about Angry Birds now.
No, it will be Tetris - and EVF fans will be extremely happy about it because:
- playing games in the EVF? It can be done, so it should (OTOH not being able to see is regarded as irrelevant)
- OK, Tetris is an old game - but think about the future, someday they will really put Angry Birds in there! So give up on everything for that future promise!
- think about new applications - a news reader, posting on Facebook and other useful things. Of course, from time to time you'd have to lower the camera and it's everbusy EVF in order to see if, by any chance, there is an interesting picture you'd like to take (but this is optional).

Clavius, indeed.
I don't believe in fully supporting the K-mount and a parallel, higher-level EVF system. There are only two companies who had both DSLRs and mirrorless: Sony and Olympus. Both gave up on DSLRs.

But we should wait at least for a proper translation.

Emacs, I will not get the fake, period.
12-17-2011, 01:05 PM   #74

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote

Doing photography via a screen on the back of a camera blows chunks. I've owned liveview-capable camera's ever since liveview came out. And I think I've used it about twice.
I tried using cameras with EVF like SLT77, Fuji X100(EVF mode), and GXR and I get the feeling that I have been staring at a monitor for 8 hours straight . Still, that is just me.
12-17-2011, 01:10 PM   #75
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Emacs Quote
You'll get the FAKE anyway, dude
Nope, I'd rather get a real professional camera, with a real OVF from Pentaxes competitors.

QuoteOriginally posted by Emacs Quote
But for me the NEX-5N (N!) EVF is superior in regard of focus accuracy. The MF is a joy now.
That says more about your eyesight then it says about the NEX5N. I've owned it, and it's a toy. MF is ten times more easier on the K5. Why? Because the image in the OVF is the REAL image. Not some kind of display that shows a picture that doesn't even look like the scene the camera is pointed at.