Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 34 Likes Search this Thread
12-17-2011, 01:14 PM   #76
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
That says more about your eyesight then it says about the NEX5N. I've owned it, and it's a toy. MF is ten times more easier on the K5. Why? Because the image in the OVF is the REAL image. Not some kind of display that shows a picture that doesn't even look like the scene the camera is pointed at.
My eyesight is perfect. And it's not only me, if you didn't notice it: many people find the MF with this EVF to be a joy. The MF with K-5 is TIMES less accurate.

12-17-2011, 01:18 PM   #77

Is there some reason why there are 50 people in this thread claiming that a mirrorless camera means K-mount is dead?
12-17-2011, 01:25 PM   #78
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wjjstu Quote
Is there some reason why there are 50 people in this thread claiming that a mirrorless camera means K-mount is dead?
Yes, there is a reason, but if I told you, I would have to kill you.
12-17-2011, 01:27 PM   #79
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Emacs Quote
My eyesight is perfect. And it's not only me, if you didn't notice it: many people find the MF with this EVF to be a joy. The MF with K-5 is TIMES less accurate.
You can't bring any arguments to back that claim? Or you just won't?

12-17-2011, 01:29 PM   #80
Forum Member

Because the image in the OVF is the REAL image. Not some kind of display that shows a picture that doesn't even look like the scene the camera is pointed at.
I agree. My frontal lobe always complains about my visual cortex just sending a fake image from my retina, and not the real thing. It´s so disturbing.
12-17-2011, 01:29 PM   #81
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
First reaction is Heck, why?
Then my take on this is the following: a me too cam like OliPana would be crap, market taken by other brands and not interesting to me at all.
A mirrorless more along the line of Leica, Fuji or... Ricoh (!), why not. I'm not a mirrorless guy but I might just get in with such a cam.

Otherwise, I'm still interested in to FF dslr, ideally a hybrid VF (EVF/OVF with SLT/EosRT-like mirror).
If Pentax stays with APS with DSLR and goes mirrorless with FF/645, then I'll end up with Canikon at some point, which is a shame.
12-17-2011, 01:31 PM   #82
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Pentax can do this with Full Frame. They can make an adapter for K-mount that recreates the registration distance.

I have both the K-5 and Panasonic GH2. I just bought a M42 Takumar 50/1.4. I put in on the GH2 and not the K-5 because MF on the GH2 is beter. The GH2 is a better camera for MF because of the ability to zoom.

That said, the OVF of the K-5 is more pleasing to look at than the EVF of the GH2. It is reality. But the GH2 EVF can display a live histogram, can display B&W and other effects, and can show DOF effects constantly. I have no doubt that EVF will continue to evolve to a point where it is nearly indistinguishable from an OVF but with the other benefits.

What I'd really like to see in an EVIL camera is a rangefinder mode - essentially a 90% crop of the sensor so that you can see outside of the 90% frame in the EVF. That would be cool.

12-17-2011, 01:44 PM   #83
Veteran Member

Im all for a Pentax FF , but if they abandoned the K-mount.... I may as well just jump ship and start a new system with Canikon. :ugh:
12-17-2011, 01:49 PM   #84
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Otherwise, I'm still interested in to FF dslr, ideally a hybrid VF (EVF/OVF with SLT/EosRT-like mirror).
If Pentax stays with APS with DSLR and goes mirrorless with FF/645, then I'll end up with Canikon at some point, which is a shame.

Please don't put anything in the way of the optical path. The Sony SLT is a real dumb idea (atleast to me). I do like the NEX-7.

A hybrid VF would be nice and Pentax does have a patent for one. If I remember right in optical mode it is just like an optical viewfinder. In liveview mode an liveview image is projected to the screen. Some pople thought this was going to appear with the K-5 but didn't. So maybe it is time for this patent to be seen in a real product.

Dave
12-17-2011, 01:50 PM   #85
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
Im all for a Pentax FF , but if they abandoned the K-mount.... I may as well just jump ship and start a new system with Canikon. :ugh:
I feel the same way, excpet I would go the Nikon way.

Dave
12-17-2011, 01:51 PM   #86

Yeah I've been asking a few times as well why Mirrorless FF = no K mount. From what I can discern, it's to do with how close the lenses are to the sensor. But if Sony can create a-to-e mounts, Pentax should be able to do the same.

But I haven't had the time to do much reading on it and no one has really explained to me either. *confused*
12-17-2011, 01:54 PM   #87
Veteran Member

You can't bring any arguments to back that claim? Or you just won't?
What arguments should I put here? Well, the first is shooting with my A50/f1.2 and K-5 was like a lottery. In 99.9% cases focus was missed. Most of my good shots with this lens were taken via LV. I have at least 30-40% hit ratio in not so good lightning with the NEX. Of course, the OVF is more pleasant to use, but not crappy ones with APS-C cameras. They are inferior.
12-17-2011, 01:55 PM   #88
Veteran Member

Any information from a reliable source is good information.

Just because they mentioned mirrorless FF doesn't mean that will be the only thing they do. I'm kind of surprised they would mention that so early in the game though... unless they have it nearing production.

The 645D mirrorless is the really interesting comment I think.

Right now the current sensor can't do live view or video, so what does that mean?
- A new sensor for the 645 cameras.
-Or the mirrorless camera will have an optical viewfinder somehow.

Interesting possibilities aren't they?
12-17-2011, 01:57 PM   #89

I am really curios, to be honest, though to me it would make more sense if the Pentax part of the Ricoh-Pentax would continue on DSLRs (and the announcement of FF DSLR would indeed be welcome) and Ricoh would carry on with mirror-less cameras as they already have experience there (I do realize that I neglect the Pentax Q here).

FF Pentax DSLR and FF Ricoh mirror-less would be a fine combination I would say.

One way or another I would not be surprised if a K-mount adapter would come soon for 'who-ever-will-produce-that-next-mirror-less-camera'. I would not expect mirror-less camera with fixed or built-in K mount as that would make little sense (too large).

Mirrorless 645? Now that is even hard to imagine as it would require new set of lenses, but if they do I may sell my Mamiya 6 .. (serious).
12-17-2011, 01:58 PM   #90
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Emacs Quote
What arguments should I put here? Well, the first is shooting with my A50/f1.2 and K-5 was like a lottery. In 99.9% cases focus was missed. Most of my good shots with this lens were taken via LV. I have at least 30-40% hit ratio in not so good lightning with the NEX. Of course, the OVF is more pleasant to use, but not crappy ones with APS-C cameras. They are inferior.
I agree completely. Got my A50/1.2 today and it was unusable with the optical finder. In Live View I got a hit rate of 50% (mainly because LV was too slow in use).

I only accept a FF DSLR if it has the same great viewfinder as the Pentax LX or even the Pentax ME-Super. Anything else and I'd prefer a FF EVIL camera.