Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2011, 03:22 AM - 1 Like   #241
Banned

Photos: Gallery
From Rice:

From Head of Pentax:-

1. They are exploring and doing researches for Full Frame and 645D mirrorless;

2. All upcoming "DSLRs" of Pentax will have 100% field of view coverage, even for entry level models;

3. The FF and 645D mirrorless is only the personal thinking of the Head himself! :-o So? (But Head is Head, i.e., decision maker!);

So NO news in this article regarding mirrorless FF/645D in the near future. That 100 % covarage viewfinder for entrylevel means at least a new design body for K-r successor (with prism?).

12-19-2011, 04:00 AM   #242
Veteran Member

Leica for the rest of us

QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
There's no perfect camera for everyone I suppose. However, since I personally don't care much about zooms I'm all for an ME Super sized mirrorless 35mm camera. As far as high end photographers using large lenses goes..I counter that with Leica. The cheapest lens they make is $1700, and every single lens they make is smaller than a FA31mm limited. They sale so many there is currently a 3-4 month wait because they can't meet demand. So I'd say there are a fair number of high end photographers that appreciate small primes. However, until recently we haven't had many options in the digital world. In fact, the NEX-7 is probably the first true DSLR replacement for a lot of us, and it is just now starting to ship.
Ned Bunnell is quite open about his admiration for Leica, and I can't help but wonder if Pentax's longer-term vision to be the "Leica for the rest of us". That should result in some pretty desirable gear, just not necessarily at rock-bottom prices. (And it certainly seems that Fuji is also trying to position itself in this niche.)

MILC systems have the potential to produce relatively inexpensive rangefinder-sized bodies with superior video performance. So a MILC FF could be something like an M9, and a MILC MF could be something like an S2. If Pentax could produce such systems with the quality we expect at a reasonable price, then I say bring it on.

Last edited by asw66; 12-19-2011 at 05:16 AM. Reason: clarity
12-19-2011, 04:04 AM   #243
Veteran Member

What this amounts to is simply another FF thread in the News and Rumors section.

Merry Christmas!

Jason
12-19-2011, 04:06 AM   #244
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
The rumors of them buying Olympus are exciting. I have always thought Fuji and Olympus would merge. They complement each other really well, and Olympus needs a company with a strong sensor development background.
I can't say that I predicted such a merger, but the result would indeed be a formidable new force on digital photography.

12-19-2011, 04:36 AM   #245
Veteran Member

The future:
Flat 'digital' or multifaceted lenses capable of any focal length and DOF etc. One lens element per pixel and where the lens is also the sensor.
Electronic Viewfinders with full heads up displays
No Shutter
Multi-format sensors
Multi-dimensional recording of data for exposure/development later on in the computer.

PS. And no mirror of course.
12-19-2011, 04:52 AM   #246
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
The future:
Flat 'digital' or multifaceted lenses capable of any focal length and DOF etc. One lens element per pixel and where the lens is also the sensor.
No Shutter
Multi-format sensors
Multi-dimensional recording of data for exposure/development later on in the computer.

I want one of those, but with mirror.
It's important to me.
12-19-2011, 05:14 AM   #247
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mrmentera Quote
I want one of those, but with mirror.
It's important to me.
I forgot to mention stereo and that it won't look anything like a camera.

The only mirror I need is the one use when I want to turn right or (preferably) left.

12-19-2011, 05:26 AM   #248
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The future:
No Shutter
Multi-format sensors

I think you are talking about the Panasonic GH3. The GH2 with the collapsible zoom already meets many of those needs
12-19-2011, 05:37 AM   #249
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
There's no perfect camera for everyone I suppose. However, since I personally don't care much about zooms I'm all for an ME Super sized mirrorless 35mm camera. As far as high end photographers using large lenses goes..I counter that with Leica. The cheapest lens they make is $1700, and every single lens they make is smaller than a FA31mm limited. They sale so many there is currently a 3-4 month wait because they can't meet demand. So I'd say there are a fair number of high end photographers that appreciate small primes. However, until recently we haven't had many options in the digital world. In fact, the NEX-7 is probably the first true DSLR replacement for a lot of us, and it is just now starting to ship.

As far as using large telephotos, f/2.8 zooms, etc. The one thing I don't understand is it seems no one thinks a large mirrorless camera will ever be made. Further, Pentax could design a modular body (seems righ up Ricoh's alley) about the size of a NEX-7, but design it so a vertical grip could be added to give it more heft when needed. You can always make a camera larger, but it seems Pentax has made a digital K-Mount camera about as small as they can; and they are still too large for some of us.
I wouldn't use Leica to prove your point. First of all, I don't think that Pentax could turn out a product with the cache that Leica has. I wouldn't even want them to. I, for one, couldn't afford it. People buy leica, not because of the optics (which are spectacular), but because of the name.

Of course there are lots of photographers who "enjoy" using primes, but if it comes down to every day shooting -- going out with the family, shooting a wedding -- most will take a zoom first and if they have space in their bag or they think they will encounter low light situations they'll take a prime as well. I think making a camera the size of the K20 is about the smallest that would work well -- whether or not it is mirrorless.
12-19-2011, 05:38 AM   #250
Forum Member

I forgot to mention stereo and that it won't look anything like a camera.

The only mirror I need is the one use when I want to turn right or (preferably) left.
I see..english is not my native language but it's completely obvious that you say it will look like a Volkswagen beetle and have three mirrors and a good stereo. It can't be read in any other way.
I can accept such a camera and I will immediately start a new thread about that news of coming Pentax Type III.
12-19-2011, 05:39 AM   #251
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think making a camera the size of the K20 is about the smallest that would work well -- whether or not it is mirrorless.
optics that covers 24-70 range would be much smaller on mirrorless
12-19-2011, 05:49 AM   #252
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Emacs Quote
optics that covers 24-70 range would be much smaller on mirrorless
Why do you say that? The Sony E mount 18-55 is almost exactly the same size as the Pentax 18-55 for the K mount.
12-19-2011, 05:54 AM   #253
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I think you are talking about the Panasonic GH3. The GH2 with the collapsible zoom already meets many of those needs
Flat lenses where each pixel has it's own lens is a different technology. The concept may be there but the technology is probably at least 10 years away. Analogue lenses won't be around for much longer because they're too expensive and can't possibly live up to the full potential of the digital age. In the future a camera could exist on a thin film like your credit card and be more powerful than a K-5. This might be closer than you think.
12-19-2011, 06:07 AM   #254
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I read on another site that there is a camera show up in Las Vegas, January the 10th - I believe, and that Nikon is speculated to announce their D4 at that time. This would be Pentax's next opportunity for some type of announcement. January 2012 maintains the advanced line's 16 month announcement cycle, however Pentax missed the entry body's 12 month cycle. So who knows? They will announce something when they are ready - when ever that will be. Something will come out in 2012.... Exactly what and when is anyone's best guess... They might also just be synching up the two product cycles.....

12-19-2011, 01:22 PM   #255
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
I read on another site that there is a camera show up in Las Vegas, January the 10th - I believe, and that Nikon is speculated to announce their D4 at that time. This would be Pentax's next opportunity for some type of announcement. January 2012 maintains the advanced line's 16 month announcement cycle, however Pentax missed the entry body's 12 month cycle. So who knows? They will announce something when they are ready - when ever that will be. Something will come out in 2012.... Exactly what and when is anyone's best guess... They might also just be synching up the two product cycles.....

CES is the annual consumer electronics show. PMA will be part of it apparently since the 2011 PMA was cancelled last spring (due probably to the tsumnami)