Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 34 Likes Search this Thread
12-21-2011, 12:07 PM   #346
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
A MILC camera does not have such a problem because there's only one variable: the distance between the mount and the sensor. So a mirror box MUST be more expensive because there's much more QC involved.
But how much more?

SLR's and DSLR's can be pretty inexpensive and the development of thee devices is a sunk cost over 60 years old.

I doubt as a capital input the cost is large enough to make or break a system more than the risk posed by making your consumer switch to an entirely new lens mount.

12-21-2011, 12:27 PM   #347
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveBlack Quote
My records on my hi-end stero has better sound quality than my CD's on the same hig-end system. An ipod just don't have the sound quality for me. An ipod is convienent and that it about all. Now my HD flatcreen is a different story. It has a lot better quality than my old tube TV plus the new technology makes it more convienent.

So new technology just to be new is not an end in itself. Just replacing a optical viewfinder with an EVF just to decrease the register distance a few millimeters just doesn't do it for me. Yes, an EVF will make the camera alittle less expensive to make, but is about all at this time.

Dave
I am not planning on buying an EVIL anytime soon and I don't think the technology is there yet, but it is close.

AF accuracy is much better with EVIL. There is no FF/BF issues. No need to use micro-AF adjustment.
MF is much easier than it is with APS-C.

According to Sony the EVF is much cheaper than OVF. The mirror/PDAF system/Prism all have to be hand calibrated. It is not just an issue of the cost of materials. The actual time spent to install and calibrate is considerable.

The current generation of EVFs are not better than FF OVFs, but they are just as good as APS-C in my opinion. I am hoping that advancements in the EVF will force Pentax to improve the OVF on the K-bodies.
12-21-2011, 03:16 PM   #348
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
AF accuracy is much better with EVIL. There is no FF/BF issues. No need to use micro-AF adjustment.
MF is much easier than it is with APS-C.
You sure?
With Sony evil like the a65 for example you also have front and back focus.
12-21-2011, 03:25 PM   #349
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
You sure?
With Sony evil like the a65 for example you also have front and back focus.
It's not evil, it's SLT and it uses PDAF.

12-21-2011, 03:38 PM   #350
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
There might be a small market for a camera like this with FF sensor and optimized for manual focus lenses, but it probably end up with a Leica M9 price tag.
It's funny you mention that because the moving sensor AF solution is the only way (as far as I can see) to incorporate AF on a Leica digital RF.
12-21-2011, 03:43 PM   #351
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Emacs Quote
It's not evil, it's SLT and it uses PDAF.
the a65 is a mix bagged.
EVIL stands for electronic viewfinder interchangeable lens, precisely what the a65 is, if you use a different term than i'm all for it.
MILC (mirrorless interchangeable-lens camera) for example.
12-21-2011, 03:59 PM   #352
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
SLT is single lens translucent.. as in not mirrorless...and yes it has an EVF, but with it still having a mirror at least an OVF is an option.. So yes I can see it being a bit of a mixed bag between what is perceived as an EVIL camera and an SLR/SLT.

Last edited by Chex; 12-21-2011 at 04:05 PM.
12-21-2011, 04:08 PM   #353
Veteran Member

Precisely and nobody says that EVIL camera are mirrorless.

So the a65 is EVIL, SLR, SLT camera, all those terms are correct.

But it isn't a MILC, which is the term that's now often used for camera's like the Pen, Nex, ect.

ps. don't forget that not all mirrorless have an electronic viewfinder some like Leica use an optical one.
It's getting complicated.
12-21-2011, 04:13 PM   #354
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
According to Sony the EVF is much cheaper than OVF. The mirror/PDAF system/Prism all have to be hand calibrated. It is not just an issue of the cost of materials. The actual time spent to install and calibrate is considerable..
Cannot be true. In the film days a entry level SLR hardly costed more than a similarly specced P&S. The cost cannot be great; particularly on a DSLR where the sensor is what really cost money.
12-21-2011, 04:16 PM   #355
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Chex Quote
SLT is single lens translucent.. as in not mirrorless...and yes it has an EVF, but with it still having a mirror at least an OVF is an option..
No, it's not. If you'd have an OVF, then it would be called an SLR. The translucent mirror doesn't move, and since it already lets most of the light go to the sensor, what do you expect an OVF to show?
12-21-2011, 04:18 PM   #356
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Cannot be true. In the film days a entry level SLR hardly costed more than a similarly specced P&S. The cost cannot be great; particularly on a DSLR where the sensor is what really cost money.
It is.
Do you realize how many adjustments should be done for DSLR to work properly? It's fully handmade work, need a lot of time to complete.
12-21-2011, 04:55 PM   #357
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
No, it's not. If you'd have an OVF, then it would be called an SLR. The translucent mirror doesn't move, and since it already lets most of the light go to the sensor, what do you expect an OVF to show?
For your information, the mirror in SLR with AF also lets light through for the AF sensor.
Behind the main mirror there is a second mirror, the main mirror reflects the light up to the viewfinder and the second reflects the light down to the AF sensor.
12-21-2011, 05:05 PM   #358
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I dont think its going to be particularly advantageous for Pentax to come out with a "Me too!" FF Pro dSLR body this late in the game. There's also the question how many of these would sell given that Pentax caters mostly to amateurs and a few enthusiasts.

For a FF Pentax to sell enough numbers it needs to be priced around the same as K5, so anything that keeps the cost down should be considered. If I got a FF, I'd use it mostly for lansdcapes, the absence of a mirror box and PDAF wouldn't bother me at all. CDAF is slow, but with landscapes AF speed doesn't really matter.
12-21-2011, 05:12 PM   #359
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
In the film days a entry level SLR hardly costed more than a similarly specced P&S.
In the film days, especially with the entry level dSLRs, most prints were postcard size and a few 8x10s. The magnification was not enough for FF/BF to show. Nowadays, nearly everyone blows up digital images to 100% and peep at every pixel. So in film days, entry level dSLRs were built with looser tolerances than todays dSLRs.
12-21-2011, 05:43 PM   #360
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
I dont think its going to be particularly advantageous for Pentax to come out with a "Me too!" FF Pro dSLR body this late in the game. There's also the question how many of these would sell given that Pentax caters mostly to amateurs and a few enthusiasts.

For a FF Pentax to sell enough numbers it needs to be priced around the same as K5, so anything that keeps the cost down should be considered. If I got a FF, I'd use it mostly for lansdcapes, the absence of a mirror box and PDAF wouldn't bother me at all. CDAF is slow, but with landscapes AF speed doesn't really matter.
Respectfully, I disagree. It's not only advantageous, it's downright necessary. We are already loosing resolution at F13 on our K-5s, and the next gen will drop that to F8.

I also disagree on the price. I think $3000 is a fine pricemark for the full frame camera, while keeping the less expensive option at APS-C.

I also think FF gives an advantage to telephoto, as we can always crop to APS-C size, if needed otherwise we shoot at a wider angle of view with more resolution.