Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2011, 11:07 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kryscendo Quote
You take your love of taking pictures and not the cold, emotionless boxes that create them yet somehow still disappoint everyone here, out of here, Mister!

You just go and sit in the corner until you've learned your lesson!
Sorry. I forgot that this is a camera forum where people worship their objects of choice, not a photography forum that's about tools that take photos. My bad.

Last edited by mysticcowboy; 12-23-2011 at 11:21 PM.
12-24-2011, 01:19 AM   #32

QuoteOriginally posted by mysticcowboy Quote
Sorry. I forgot that this is a camera forum where people worship their objects of choice, not a photography forum that's about tools that take photos. My bad.
Damn straight, son.
12-24-2011, 01:20 AM   #33

And in case it needs to be spelled out, the previous two posts were, indeed, facetious.
12-25-2011, 12:02 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Seeing as both cameras actually came out in 2010 their opinions are worthless - they are in fact, The Cameras of 2010. And I personally couldn't care less anyway as I bought my cameras after making up my own mind.

12-28-2011, 05:44 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well I would have to agree about the D7000 having a bit better AF.. and far better video capabilities than the K-5, so overall I can see why, but I feel that video functions should carry little to no weight on a CAMERA review.. If you want a video camera you should go buy a video camera.. I chose my K-5 because it was the absolute best CAMERA in my price range when I was buying.. that and having shot old Pentax ME`s year ago.. and not being a standard sheep consumer.
12-29-2011, 06:55 AM   #36

K5 is a great camera, but without AF tracking (or predictive AF)have no chance on the market. The same problem are the lenses without sonic drive. Pentax need the same technical niveau of AF, that have Ca/Ni.
12-30-2011, 12:59 AM   #37

I've had quite a nice experience with subject tracking (in AF-C) with a 77 limited. I mean it's no Canon 1D series, but otherwise absolutely okay. Testing was at a track for gas-powered Kyosho mini race cars, so the subject movement was... well... fast enough :-)
01-05-2012, 04:27 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
.Ya that auto-focus thing on moving objects is not cool. I'm with you. But my lens is f:4. I've always wondered if having a faster lens (more light) would help.
Ummm, no?

I know this might sound obvious but I take it you're aware that your lens is always letting the most light in that it possibly can (in fact, often more because even the widest stop is not as wide as when the shutter is not firing) - so having a faster lens won't help the AF because the same amount of light (or a very similar amount) is coming in through any lens, even an f1.2.

Then, it would really make it worse for moving subjects because D.O.F. is so thin that there is basically no way a moving subject will stay in focus while the shutter flicks up at say, f2.8 or faster. Even at f4 it would be a struggle.
My advice would be manual focus, focus where the subject will be, then use the K-5's 7fps to make sure on shot is in focus.

01-05-2012, 05:04 AM - 1 Like   #39
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Quazimoto Quote
Ummm, no?

I know this might sound obvious but I take it you're aware that your lens is always letting the most light in that it possibly can (in fact, often more because even the widest stop is not as wide as when the shutter is not firing) - so having a faster lens won't help the AF because the same amount of light (or a very similar amount) is coming in through any lens, even an f1.2.
This is just very, very wrong, of course having a faster lens will help the AF, and of course you'll get more light in, which is easy to observe in the viewfinder when using a fast lens compared to a slow lens. If I mount e.g. my M-135/3.5 with a 2x TC on my LX, the focusing screen is miserably dark compared to if I had used a fast 270mm lens. In fact, it's also so dark that the micro prisms just turn black and aren't usable for focusing anymore. So even manual focusing is difficult with a slow lens.

(However, some fast lenses have low contrast wide open, this can make AF more difficult)
01-06-2012, 12:36 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hjb981 Quote
Aren't the AF sensors of the K-5 f/4 sensors, meaning that once you have gotten to f/4, there will not be any difference in autofocus performance when you go brighter? (As a sidenote, I think that at least the center sensor in D7000 is f/2.8.)
What I said is maybe a little bit wrong (not very very wrong) but this here (above) is the more technical version of what I was saying.
01-06-2012, 03:33 AM   #41
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Quazimoto Quote
What I said is maybe a little bit wrong (not very very wrong) but this here (above) is the more technical version of what I was saying.
I think what you quoted is actually wrong, but I'm glad to be corrected. Here's my understanding: A f/5.6 AF sensor is usable with f/5.6 lenses or faster. A f/2.8 sensor has higher precision, but is only usable with lenses f/2.8 or faster. That's why cameras with center f/2.8 sensors also usually have an additional f/8 sensor in the center, otherwise the center sensor wouldn't work with any lenses slower than f/2.8.
01-06-2012, 04:24 AM   #42
Veteran Member

OK. It just sounded like normhead thought that a faster lens would by defintion mean faster AF - but this isn't always the case. My f1.7 lens is slower to focus than both of my f2.8s.

I don't really know much about it - but the fact remains that when light gets low and subjects are moving, you are going to have to get clever with how you focus. The fact that the 7D or D7000 or whatever may focus a bit faster or slower than the K-5 is like "Wow... I still prefer Pentax."
I am sticking with Pentax under a few small provisos, none of which has to do with how fast their AF is or how tonally deep their colour is in a photzone.de test.

But it's an interesting comparison anyway, and I learnt something about AF in all that. :-)