Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
12-20-2011, 11:50 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Nuf said.. better colour depth.. better Dynamic Range... better overall score.
Judging by the individual and summary scores, this is what I'd call a distinction without a difference.

Now .... did I just get my troll qualification?

12-20-2011, 05:09 PM   #17
Veteran Member

In my opinion...the K-5 as camera beats the D7000 in every respect except for AF. If we were going for an overall system, that would be a differnt can of worms.
12-21-2011, 12:55 AM   #18

Why always K5 vs D7000

I still don't know why people always compare K5 with D7000 and 60D, just because they are at the price range?
K5 should be compared with D300s and 7D, don't you think?
12-21-2011, 01:04 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CTHUSA Quote
I still don't know why people always compare K5 with D7000 and 60D, just because they are at the price range?
I guess you're right with respect to most of the feature set except for AF. K-5 probably sits between these two tiers of cameras.

12-21-2011, 09:56 AM   #20
Forum Member

The K5 doesn't, nor has it ever cost less than the D7000. From the get-go I've always seen the D7000 sell for a few hundred less than the K5. That's the main reason I only just recently bought one.
12-21-2011, 10:06 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CTHUSA Quote
Because the K-5 and D7000 have the same sensor, appeal to the same advanced amateurs and yes same price range.
Also, this very forum does a comprehensive comparison of the K-5 and the 7D.
Canon 7D vs. Pentax K-5 - Introduction- PentaxForums.com
12-21-2011, 10:21 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TiminyCricket Quote
The K5 doesn't, nor has it ever cost less than the D7000. From the get-go I've always seen the D7000 sell for a few hundred less than the K5. That's the main reason I only just recently bought one.
Over here the K-5 body only is going for 899 € while the D7000 is 999 € (Pentax K-5 digijärjestelmäkamera, runko | Tuotekuvasto | Verkkokauppa.com / Nikon D7000 järjestelmäkamera, runko | Tuotekuvasto | Verkkokauppa.com).

12-21-2011, 12:07 PM   #23
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote

I like your statements, once you explain yourself... sometimes I actually think I could do better with manual focus... I called you a troll because, sometimes a troll will come out with a one line statement that took no thought to toss out , just to see the flames rise... even if you didn't mean to be a troll, remember this is a Pentax forum.. explain yourself, no one will get confused about your motives.

Ya that auto-focus thing on moving objects is not cool. I'm with you. But my lens is f:4. I've always wondered if having a faster lens (more light) would help.
Aren't the AF sensors of the K-5 f/4 sensors, meaning that once you have gotten to f/4, there will not be any difference in autofocus performance when you go brighter? (As a sidenote, I think that at least the center sensor in D7000 is f/2.8.) I may be wrong, so please chime in and correct if that is the case. Other than that, I really agree with Mareket about the K-5 being a joy to use and much nicer to hold than ALL of its competition, while still managing to be smaller. Size is important to me, since I drag my camera around quite a lot when I hike etc. The size, ergonomics and joy of use together with the very nice sensor are the reasons why I bought the K-5, which is btw the only D-SLR I have ever owned. I know that the ergonomics fit me better because I have tried all the cameras in stores during my decision process. I really wanted good DR, since that is what I felt most limited by in my previous camera (Panasonic LX3, which I also liked btw). Therefore, I was mainly looking at D7000 and K-5 BEFORE I actually held them in my hand. After doing that, the decision was easy. I use my K-5 with the 18-135 and really like that combo (now I will start using it with the FA-31 Ltd that I bought a few days ago also). I bought the K-5 last Easter, so I have had it 3/4 of a year. I, too, think that the K-5 could have better AF performance sometimes, like when taking pictures indoors in dimmed incandescent lights, but on non-moving subjects in natural light, I think it works very well. Now, if they would only make a full-frame without making it bigger than the K-5. It should be possible -- look at the size of the old Pentax ME-Super, for example. It is quite a bit smaller than a K-5 (obviously it does not contain the electronics of the modern camera, but it does fit the larger prism in there). Sorry if this got a little off-topic -- my writing just drifted away... All in all, I really like my K-5, the 18-135 and I guess also the FA-31 ltd once I get a chance to use it a bit.

I hope that Pentax continues to make cameras that are not unnecessarily bulky. In my opinion, that is one of their key advantages over their competitors (at least it got me to buy one).
12-22-2011, 03:00 AM   #24

One point Nikon are pretty good for flash if that counts towards things Pentax really need some help here.
K-5 is a really nice body and well priced.
I don't think the sensor scores make any difference, Pentax apply some NR to raw which I don't agree with other than that they are about the same IQ wise
12-22-2011, 05:22 PM   #25
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
You cannot compare the K-5 against the 7D. Period. 7D was designed for sports. And man does it deliver. The K-5 was designed for something totally different.
Adam has a pretty good idea of the worth of the K-5 and tells it like it is. Read his review.
12-22-2011, 11:10 PM - 1 Like   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This is silly. Cameras are tools, not a wellspring of borrowed pride. The D7000 and the 7D are both great cameras. The K5 is a great camera. There is no "blows out of the water." Go out and take some photos.
12-23-2011, 01:59 AM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by mysticcowboy Quote
This is silly. Cameras are tools, not a wellspring of borrowed pride. The D7000 and the 7D are both great cameras. The K5 is a great camera. There is no "blows out of the water." Go out and take some photos.
You take your love of taking pictures and not the cold, emotionless boxes that create them yet somehow still disappoint everyone here, out of here, Mister!

You just go and sit in the corner until you've learned your lesson!
12-23-2011, 11:25 AM   #28
Forum Member

Aha! So that's the rankings eh?!

(Off to buy a Sony SLT-A35)
12-23-2011, 01:48 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by careboy Quote
Their reasoning is weak because other than AF the K5 blows their choice away and costs less to boot.
Well said Sir!
12-23-2011, 01:50 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mysticcowboy Quote
Sorry, stand by my statement. Other than AF the K5 is superior in every other technical category. Wonder what the folks at that newspaper would have said if it were the Nikon K5 they were reviewing?