Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-25-2007, 12:11 PM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
Thanks for the clarification eReL.

So the patent is more for the 1.3x crop sensor, then, I guess...
1.3x? Why do you think so?

12-25-2007, 03:34 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Just a guess on my part, with all of the DA lenses having the common denominator of an image circle enough to cover a 1.3x sensor, as per past discussions here.
12-26-2007, 09:00 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just a guess on my part, with all of the DA lenses having the common denominator of an image circle enough to cover a 1.3x sensor, as per past discussions here.
Someone on photo.net put the 16-50mm DA* on a film body and demonstrated that it doesn't actually cover 1.3× (or 1.25×).
12-26-2007, 03:48 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Someone on photo.net put the 16-50mm DA* on a film body and demonstrated that it doesn't actually cover 1.3× (or 1.25×).
I haven't been following threads in photo.net. So are the new DA* lenses more of D-FA lenses?

12-27-2007, 05:09 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I haven't been following threads in photo.net. So are the new DA* lenses more of D-FA lenses?
You mean both DA* 200/2.8 and 300/4?

Well most probably they will cover 24x36 frame but don't ask for an aperture ring... I'd say 90% chance they cover 24x36.
12-28-2007, 12:54 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
You mean both DA* 200/2.8 and 300/4?

Well most probably they will cover 24x36 frame but don't ask for an aperture ring... I'd say 90% chance they cover 24x36.
That's good. At least it'll increment the lens line-up for full-frame in case the market clamors for it (FF). Let's hope January brings these babies out.
12-28-2007, 10:07 PM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by rvannatta Quote
I see the FF(full frame) as a dead issue. that decision was made when the decision was made to downsize the lens size. apparently the option of an intermediate sized sensor midway between the APS-C and the Ff has been preserved, and if a decision is made for a future high end body, it would make a lot more sense to make it to work with the existing lens family than for a non-existent lens family.
Full frame is not a dead issue. Pentax may want people to buy DA lenses now and (hopefully) get rid of their full frame lenses. Then it will introduce a full frame and people will then be buying full frame lenses, "optimized for digital" will be the selling point for those who already own full frame lenses. Lenses are a lot more profitable than cameras. Therefore being APS-C forever makes no sense, since at some point people will stop buying DA lenses because they have enough of them. Releasing a full frame camera will rekindle the demand for new lenses.

12-29-2007, 03:46 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Anastigmat Quote
Full frame is not a dead issue. Pentax may want people to buy DA lenses now and (hopefully) get rid of their full frame lenses. Then it will introduce a full frame and people will then be buying full frame lenses, "optimized for digital" will be the selling point for those who already own full frame lenses. Lenses are a lot more profitable than cameras. Therefore being APS-C forever makes no sense, since at some point people will stop buying DA lenses because they have enough of them. Releasing a full frame camera will rekindle the demand for new lenses.
Sure, sure in 24x36 era, no one bought lenses in the end because they had enough of'em.
01-26-2008, 05:22 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote

-A shake reduction system for a full frame sensor. Huzzah, apparently they have an idea to get shake reduction even when the image is exposed to every pixel and every line!

Sounds interesting, but I wonder if it will require larger lenses than the old ones made for film.