Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2007, 09:08 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax is genius!

Man is Pentax a total genius machine!

I've been searching the patent offices again and they are just blowing up with new stuff and some of it is really nuts! I'm amazed these guys aren't part of the Dyson vacuum company or something.

-A shake reduction system for a full frame sensor. Huzzah, apparently they have an idea to get shake reduction even when the image is exposed to every pixel and every line! WOW

-A sensor that has a light to help clean it! Brilliant!

-Shake reduction for live view! Brilliant! So now when you view your live view image it won't rattle!

-Sensor to take you directly into continuous firing mode... wait, so you start rifling off some shots in single shot and the camera knows and switches you directly to continuous mode! Crap thats amazing!

-AF tracking using a combination of locking focus, tracking and combining that tracking with contrast control focus and a sensor to calculate movement... 3-dimensional focus tracking! PLEASE PENTAX PLEASE!!!! My god that would rock in a Pentax camera!

-Preview in the viewfinder! Yes! another big please!

-Low light AF range finding ability??? Not sure but the claim is to give the camera a rangefinding ability in low light to assist AF. I'm confused, but is sounds kosher.

-Battery grip tha contains extra memory! Huzzah! Now we have PC expandability in the grip. Patent talks about putting extra buffer memory in the grip allowing faster image capture rate.

I shall add all of those to my wish list on Pentax cameras to come!

12-22-2007, 09:18 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote

I've been searching the patent offices again and they are just blowing up with new stuff and some of it is really nuts! I'm amazed these guys aren't part of the Dyson vacuum company or something.

-A shake reduction system for a full frame sensor. Huzzah, apparently they have an idea to get shake reduction even when the image is exposed to every pixel and every line! WOW

-Shake reduction for live view! Brilliant! So now when you view your live view image it won't rattle!

-Sensor to take you directly into continuous firing mode... wait, so you start rifling off some shots in single shot and the camera knows and switches you directly to continuous mode! Crap thats amazing!

-AF tracking using a combination of locking focus, tracking and combining that tracking with contrast control focus and a sensor to calculate movement... 3-dimensional focus tracking! PLEASE PENTAX PLEASE!!!! My god that would rock in a Pentax camera!

-Low light AF range finding ability??? Not sure but the claim is to give the camera a rangefinding ability in low light to assist AF. I'm confused, but is sounds kosher.

-Battery grip tha contains extra memory! Huzzah! Now we have PC expandability in the grip. Patent talks about putting extra buffer memory in the grip allowing faster image capture rate.

looks like they are playing the patent game. Try to patent all the good ideas and thereby fence out the competition, or make them send you a check everytime they sell a camera.

the other guys are probably doing the same thing, so you also have some baseball cards to trade if you walk on one of their patents.....

those are all features that would be potentially useful.----the extra memory in the grip
is an overwhelming necessity. --- if you are going to make a camera which is theoretically possible that will do 60 fps and full resolution---- those 4 gig memory cards won't last long.
12-22-2007, 09:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rvannatta Quote
looks like they are playing the patent game. Try to patent all the good ideas and thereby fence out the competition, or make them send you a check everytime they sell a camera.

the other guys are probably doing the same thing, so you also have some baseball cards to trade if you walk on one of their patents.....

those are all features that would be potentially useful.----the extra memory in the grip
is an overwhelming necessity. --- if you are going to make a camera which is theoretically possible that will do 60 fps and full resolution---- those 4 gig memory cards won't last long.
Just ran a quick Canon check and holy crap they are patent queens! 16000 patents just on Canon AND camera LOL, while Pentax is 1200. And filed at nearly the same time, Pentax wins by 3 days is the method for in viewfinder image check! Wow, Pentax could possibly be the first! Nice!
12-22-2007, 09:27 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Maybe the grip can have a fairly large built in memory, plus card slots too ;-) NT

NT - - - -

QuoteOriginally posted by rvannatta Quote

12-22-2007, 09:44 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Just ran a quick Canon check and holy crap they are patent queens! 16000 patents just on Canon AND camera LOL, while Pentax is 1200. And filed at nearly the same time, Pentax wins by 3 days is the method for in viewfinder image check! Wow, Pentax could possibly be the first! Nice!
Yep, and they will have 16,000 lawyers looking for ways to sue the competition out of existence.
It's all part of the technology game.

Ultimately, the 'winners' will cross license their key patents with each other, and those that
don't have key patents, will be fenced out of the business, while those that are inside the fence will divide up the market and clean up.
12-23-2007, 04:47 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Some sort of active AF measuring? Hm, if they uses the supersonic approach by old Polaroids, I'm not sure my dog would like it.
12-23-2007, 04:49 AM   #7
Busiko

I am not surprised. I've been through the patent's site for a while and putting those pieces together you'll end up with an amazing camera that will revolutionize the way cameras are looked at. For instance the preview in the viewfinder, if it pleases you, then you can save it with taking another shot. As far as the SR for FilmFrame please notice that the stabilized element can be either a ccd/cmos sensor or a floating lens, and with this you can make an adapter, like a converter, where you have IS/SR for all kind of lens, whatever the camera format. As far as Focusing is concerned, the system or yourself can have the liveview image being zoomed on a selected area and fine tune the Focus, even in low light.
If it's not on 24th Jan. someday you'll be proud of being a Pentaxian.

12-23-2007, 05:07 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Busiko Quote
If it's not on 24th Jan. someday you'll be proud of being a Pentaxian.
That is the frustration with patents. The long period between patents and actual products.
But I guess we can spend the years by using or cameras... instead of sitting and waiting that something eventually will come in a new model some time in a galaxy far far away... *<
12-23-2007, 06:41 AM   #9

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just need good camera that will let me make great photos

Let's not forget whos in charge, who makes pictures, it's not the camera. It's you, mr. photographer.

12-23-2007, 08:01 AM   #10
Busiko

QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
That is the frustration with patents. The long period between patents and actual products.
But I guess we can spend the years by using or cameras... instead of sitting and waiting that something eventually will come in a new model some time in a galaxy far far away... *<
Indeed. Our hobby is photography, so let's go out, look and shoot. I like photographing, seeing or doing it. But I am also an inveterate technically minded guy who loves technology and I can't avoid guessing what others are developing. If I had the skills that's where I would like to be.
12-23-2007, 09:32 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
The patent office is full of ideas that don't work as well. The better mouse trap may not be...
12-23-2007, 04:48 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I might be the odd man out, but am I the only one who's most interested in SR with full-frame sensors?

That's one of the main criticisms some people who doubt in-body SR have, that there isn't much room for the sensor to shake in when it comes to full-frame sensors. The SR for live view is there with the E-510, though it requires holding down a button to do so. To have SR active all the time in live view without need to hold down a button would be great. What would be a real achievement is SR in the viewfinder itself, and would silence another criticism being leveled at in-body SR.

Of course, the other patents look good. Better sensor cleaning would be great (a lot of D3 shipments seem to have dust problems from the get-go), better AF tracking would be a big boon to action photographers, anything to help low-light AF would be nice, the grip having buffer memory sounds great, making better use of the space there, and preview in the viewfinder itself is really nice.

I'm pretty sure I'd be turning off the auto-switching to continuous firing, though.

Wait, any chance the preview in the viewfinder made it to the K20D? The K20D-in-the-wild-spotter did mention that the photographer using the K20D never took his eye off the viewfinder (at least, that's how I understood the term "chimping").

I hope Pentax gets these technologies in their cameras soon. These are all good photographic aids, as well as unique features compared to the big two.
12-23-2007, 05:52 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
I might be the odd man out, but am I the only one who's most interested in SR with full-frame sensors?

That's one of the main criticisms some people who doubt in-body SR have, that there isn't much room for the sensor to shake in when it comes to full-frame sensors. The SR for live view is there with the E-510, though it requires holding down a button to do so. To have SR active all the time in live view without need to hold down a button would be great. What would be a real achievement is SR in the viewfinder itself, and would silence another criticism being leveled at in-body SR.

Of course, the other patents look good. Better sensor cleaning would be great (a lot of D3 shipments seem to have dust problems from the get-go), better AF tracking would be a big boon to action photographers, anything to help low-light AF would be nice, the grip having buffer memory sounds great, making better use of the space there, and preview in the viewfinder itself is really nice.

I'm pretty sure I'd be turning off the auto-switching to continuous firing, though.

Wait, any chance the preview in the viewfinder made it to the K20D? The K20D-in-the-wild-spotter did mention that the photographer using the K20D never took his eye off the viewfinder (at least, that's how I understood the term "chimping").

I hope Pentax gets these technologies in their cameras soon. These are all good photographic aids, as well as unique features compared to the big two.
I see the FF(full frame) as a dead issue. that decision was made when the decision was made to downsize the lens size. apparently the option of an intermediate sized sensor midway between the APS-C and the Ff has been preserved, and if a decision is made for a future high end body, it would make a lot more sense to make it to work with the existing lens family than for a non-existent lens family.
12-24-2007, 05:31 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote

That's one of the main criticisms some people who doubt in-body SR have, that there isn't much room for the sensor to shake in when it comes to full-frame sensors.
"Full-frame sensor" doesn't necessarily mean "full frame DSLR".

From Wikipedia:

12-24-2007, 10:31 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Thanks for the clarification eReL.

So the patent is more for the 1.3x crop sensor, then, I guess...