Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2011, 04:35 PM - 2 Likes   #181
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Digital changed photography, and Pentax were late to that. HDSLR video capabilities changed what was possible with a DSLR and Pentax missed that (K-5 doesn't offer manual video control). They can't afford to be late to the next big movement in camera technology, and right now, mirrorless EVF is that technology. Use one and you know why it changes everything. They're not fantastic yet, but the benefits are blindingly obvious, and it's clear that once technology progresses, mirrorless EVF will be the standard.

Pentax missed the chance to be the pioneer of this, but they're not too late to bring out the product that will 'make' the EVF. The game changing technologies aren't the ones who do it first, but the ones who do it right. EVFs aren't 'right' yet, but Pentax could make them right. OVFs are nice to use, as is film, as is a large format view camera. And they probably are better quality, but the more important aspect of technology is the possibilities. OVFs have no more possibilities, you can't do ANYTHING with them. Other than look through them, or change the matte screen you look through.

It's like moving from LPs to digital music. you're losing that distinct feel, the particular tone, the warmth, the feel of the LP case and reading the liner notes. But you can't share an LP online or take 70,000 of them with you on a 500mph plane journey across the pacific ocean thousands of feet above the surface of the earth can you?

Embrace change!

12-21-2011, 04:40 PM   #182
Pentaxian

I haven't used an EVF extensively -- though I have tried it -- but I like the idea and I'm hoping to see newer and better ones come along, and I'd be fine with them ultimately replacing OVF's.

For me, I want the viewfinder to represent more closely what the camera sees, not what my naked eye sees. I want the histogram and the simulated exposure to be visible. I want focus peaking. I want to forget about AF calibration. I want it to look big, like a 35mm FF viewfinder. I want all of that and a bag of chips.

If these features come at the expense of (some) resolution and dynamic range, that's OK with me.

Battery life, however, I'd very much like to see considerable improvement upon. Also latency and framerate.
12-21-2011, 08:41 PM   #183
Site Supporter

I want a wireless EVF with trigger. Something I can hold away from the camera. Possibly clipped to my eyeglasses. No motion shake from me looking through the camera or pushing the trigger
12-21-2011, 09:11 PM - 1 Like   #184
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
I want a wireless EVF with trigger. Something I can hold away from the camera. Possibly clipped to my eyeglasses. No motion shake from me looking through the camera or pushing the trigger
DSLR Controller :: Home

Canon only at this stage unfortunately.

12-21-2011, 09:52 PM   #185
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
Soon. Look at what they are doing with POV cameras - wireless streaming via HDMI and control via Bluetooth + iPhone App.

Contour | Products | Contour Plus

12-21-2011, 09:57 PM   #186
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
DSLR Controller :: Home

Canon only at this stage unfortunately.
There is certainly nothing technically difficult about wireless in this context. off the shelf WI-fi will handle this for communications
the the receiver could be any wi-fi device.----- Ipad, etc.--- If Clinton wants a tablet computer hanging on his glasses frame
he may need stronger frames.

Wildlife photography becomes a whole lot different, if I can play angry birds on my i (something) onhalf the screen while waiting
for something interesting to get in front of the camera, and do so up to wi-fi range of several hundred yards away. Add an APP that lets you pan and elevate the camera on the tripod--and you can manage your wildlife photography from the hofbrauhaus, if so incline. Bolt the camera to anoversized model airplane, and get rich selling them to the paparazzi who won't then need to actually leave the hofbrauhaus to follow the 'ad hoc' couples out into the tules
12-21-2011, 10:03 PM   #187
Veteran Member

I actually wish they would just put bleutooth inside the camera, not just for file transfer but also for wireless flash.
It would be so awesome if they can do that, they could even make an app so you can controll your flashes with your phone or tablet ^^
Don't forget wireless tethering of the camera. =]
12-21-2011, 10:14 PM   #188

I really don't think Pentax is gonna come out with a mirorless and compete with ricoh GXR. At least not an APS-c mirorless.
A 645 mirorless wouldn't fit on the GXR so that's a possibility. An FF mirorless could maybe fit on a GXR, and i'd imagine a FF m-mount GXR module coming out, so i don't think pentax would make an FF mirorless either. At most they'd make a K module for the GXR, with AF and everything, under the ricoh brand.
Most probably they'd just release an FF DSLR.

12-21-2011, 10:28 PM   #189
Veteran Member

My biggest problem with MILC/EVIL is ergonomics - all the EVIL cameras I have tried were very uncomfortable to hold. The only one that looked comfortable was Samsung NX, but I haven't actually held one.
12-21-2011, 11:18 PM   #190
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rvannatta Quote
There is certainly nothing technically difficult about wireless in this context. off the shelf WI-fi will handle this for communications
the the receiver could be any wi-fi device.----- Ipad, etc.--- If Clinton wants a tablet computer hanging on his glasses frame
he may need stronger frames.

Wildlife photography becomes a whole lot different, if I can play angry birds on my i (something) onhalf the screen while waiting
for something interesting to get in front of the camera, and do so up to wi-fi range of several hundred yards away. Add an APP that lets you pan and elevate the camera on the tripod--and you can manage your wildlife photography from the hofbrauhaus, if so incline. Bolt the camera to anoversized model airplane, and get rich selling them to the paparazzi who won't then need to actually leave the hofbrauhaus to follow the 'ad hoc' couples out into the tules
It's already happening

Behind the Scenes with a National Geographic Photographer
12-21-2011, 11:38 PM   #191
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Spare Tire Quote
I really don't think Pentax is gonna come out with a mirorless and compete with ricoh GXR. At least not an APS-c mirorless.
A 645 mirorless wouldn't fit on the GXR so that's a possibility. An FF mirorless could maybe fit on a GXR, and i'd imagine a FF m-mount GXR module coming out, so i don't think pentax would make an FF mirorless either. At most they'd make a K module for the GXR, with AF and everything, under the ricoh brand.
+1 christmas wish.
12-22-2011, 12:38 AM   #192
Pentaxian

Unfortunately, Ricoh doesn't get to decide the fate of the GXR. Thousands of customers will either buy the GXR or competing cameras. If the market isn't there for the GXR, then Ricoh/Pentax will be forced to come up with another camera to compete in the MILC niche.

I don't have any facts, but i get this feeling that NEX, Fuji x10,x100, Samsung NX, and the like are going to be stiff competition for the GXR sales. Anyone have any ideas on how the GXR is doing in retail???

Last edited by philbaum; 12-22-2011 at 12:54 AM.
12-22-2011, 01:45 AM   #193
Veteran Member

A Pentax K-mount GXR module was already confirmed in the interview when they talked to the Ricoh representative, but I will assume it will be APS-C initially.
12-22-2011, 04:24 AM   #194
kff
Inactive Account

Thanks
12-22-2011, 04:32 AM   #195
kff
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Soon. Look at what they are doing with POV cameras - wireless streaming via HDMI and control via Bluetooth + iPhone App.

Contour | Products | Contour Plus

thanks

and better solutions of built memory and its philosophy ... a lot of memory and to change the time when picture is moving and when is moving to external on-line devices include SD card,
a few different modes to choosing

a few modes of resolution of wireless HDMI or dual DVI ... a high about 2550x1600pix ...