Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2011, 06:06 PM   #46
Oog
Forum Member

北沢 本当はわれわれからするとメカニックな機械のところって残したいと思っているんですよね。高級なもの、付加価値の高いもの、存在感があるものっていうのはそういうところの感触ですね。人間の感性を揺さぶるようなものっていうのはどうしても必要だと思うんです。
The truth is, from my own perspective, I think I'd like see the mechanical aspect of these machines remain in place. There's a feeling there, like 'this is high-grade', 'this is a value-added item', 'this is something that makes its presence felt'. I think it's absolutely indispensible for us to be able to connect with the things we are using on this level.

My photography sentiments too (though I'm not obsessed with my camera. Really!). Can you say retro?

12-19-2011, 06:09 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
His reference to 4K display resolution may well be a possibility for the display sceen/electronic viewfinder. This has been one of the major drawbacks of a mirrorless camera but with that sort of resolution I think it will beat an optical viewfinder hands down.
12-19-2011, 06:09 PM   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by P虱 Jensen Quote
It is impossible to read the above from the interview.
Here is what it is said - about the only hard fact of some value:

"Although mirrorless is an emerging genre, we don't feel this means we should necessarily be striving to enter this market. Listening to our customers' concerns about the size and weight of SLR cameras, we feel we should try to scale down the size of our products as much as possible."

Translation. Mirrorless is something Pentax will not go into with full force anytime soon. They will make DSLR even smaller. So if Pentax will release an FF camera in the near future it will definitely not be a mirrorless, but a small DSLR.
Maybe I am just a giant American, but I am not really interested in a DSLR much smaller than the K-5. I understand Pentax is a Japanese company, and the whole "Kawaii" thing...but c'mon. I dont want the DSLR equivalent of the Q
12-19-2011, 06:15 PM   #49
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Maybe I am just a giant American, but I am not really interested in a DSLR much smaller than the K-5. I understand Pentax is a Japanese company, and the whole "Kawaii" thing...but c'mon. I dont want the DSLR equivalent of the Q
Have you use the Q?
Pentax has shown us so far that cameras feels great in hand even they are small, there is no reason they can't make it feel comfortable if they can get smaller camera. =)

Thanks for the translation! nice reading. The very least is that: Pentax future is bright!

Now.... I am not sure the future of my K-mount FA and DA lens....

Lee

12-19-2011, 06:18 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For those not familiar with the Japanese language/society: the term 検討する (to consider/examine) has about as much real meaning as your father's "I'll think about it" when you were six and asked him for a pony.
12-19-2011, 06:25 PM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
Have you use the Q?
Now.... I am not sure the future of my K-mount FA and DA lens
I am having the same thoughts (though my lens collection is small). I just purchased a da40 and was thinking of just purchasing a trio of limited lenses. Now I think I am going to wait, as one of the new mirrorless cameras that are coming out might serve my needs for a small camera better.

Though I am really happy about the prospect of making DSLRs smaller. If they could make them quiet as well, I would defiantly stick with a DSLR. Though, the k-5 might be quiet enough (have never heard it in real life).
12-19-2011, 06:28 PM   #52
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kswier Quote
I am having the same thoughts (though my lens collection is small). I just purchased a da40 and was thinking of just purchasing a trio of limited lenses. Now I think I am going to wait, as one of the new mirrorless cameras that are coming out might serve my needs for a small camera better.

Though I am really happy about the prospect of making DSLRs smaller. If they could make them quiet as well, I would defiantly stick with a DSLR. Though, the k-5 might be quiet enough (have never heard it in real life).
Do you have a k-x or k-r? It's much quieter. I'm amazed at how quiet it is, and I attribute it mostly to the fact that the sealed body dampens sound like crazy. If they could make it even quieter, a little bit shorter, and and insanely awesome sensor (APS-C or FF), then it'd be all I would want for Christmas.
12-19-2011, 06:29 PM   #53
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by v5planet Quote
Alright, the last of the interview is up guys. Take it with a grain of salty, my Japanese is rusty. Don't look too much into the precise wording of things as it will have already gone through my interpretive filter before coming out as English.
Thank you for the translation.

12-19-2011, 06:32 PM   #54
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
Have you use the Q?
Pentax has shown us so far that cameras feels great in hand even they are small, there is no reason they can't make it feel comfortable if they can get smaller camera. =)

Thanks for the translation! nice reading. The very least is that: Pentax future is bright!

Now.... I am not sure the future of my K-mount FA and DA lens....

Lee
Yes, I have held one and it's proportions feel like a toy.
12-19-2011, 06:33 PM   #55

Thank you for the translation!
12-19-2011, 06:39 PM - 1 Like   #56
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lurchlarson Quote
I would fully support a Pentax FF, even if it required a new lens mount.

Now this here is all day dreaming but imagine this scenario,

Since C&N are not making any significant jumps into the mirror-less markets, Pentax comes out with a mirrorless full frame that blows the 5dmk2 out of the water. It has a virtually silent shutter (great for birders), great high ISO (6400+), 24-36mp, shoots at least 7fps, crazy fast AF, is weatherproof, dual sd, and launches with a 28-80, 50 1.4, 85 1.4, 100mm 2.8 macro, and a 70-200 2.8. The lenses are all sporting a new focus system, "Hypersonic Drive Motor" replacement for the old SDM and all the lenses are weatherproofed. The camera is priced at $2199. Canon and Nikon, not seeing Pentax as a threat, ignore it, but the reviews for the camera+lenses are excellent, sending serious amateurs and a few pro's flocking to it. Suddenly Pentax has the #1 FF and has money to invest in even more R&D. That would be a wonderful return to the old glory days of Pentax for sure.
Yes, but without an OVF, will it sell to those select crowds?

Odds are, no.

And I bet market research by the Canikon crowd bears that out.
12-19-2011, 06:45 PM   #57
Pentaxian

The interview is interesting but noncommittal. It seems like more of a prediction where general camera technology might be in 3+ years than it is where Pentax is headed in the shorter term.
12-19-2011, 06:47 PM - 1 Like   #58

Thanks v5planet!!!!!!!

I agree, miniaturization is not as important as image quality.

Please Mr. Kitazawa, do not move from AA batteries, you will disenfranchise those adventurers who can not recharge.
12-19-2011, 06:47 PM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Do you have a k-x or k-r? It's much quieter. I'm amazed at how quiet it is, and I attribute it mostly to the fact that the sealed body dampens sound like crazy. If they could make it even quieter, a little bit shorter, and and insanely awesome sensor (APS-C or FF), then it'd be all I would want for Christmas.
I have the k200D. It is pretty loud when it goes off. For some people it might not be a huge issue, but I am a very self conscious photographer.

I agree. If They could make the k-5 even smaller (and even keep the same sensor), I would be very interested.

Last edited by kswier; 12-19-2011 at 06:59 PM.
12-19-2011, 06:48 PM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by v5planet Quote
Alright, the last of the interview is up guys. Take it with a grain of salty, my Japanese is rusty. Don't look too much into the precise wording of things as it will have already gone through my interpretive filter before coming out as English.
The bit you couldn't work out regarding 億 was because Japanese express resolution by the number of pixels, not megapixels. For example, a 12mp sensor would be 1200万画像

You were a tad bit off in a small number of places, but nothing worth nitpicking about; you did a splendid job overall.

One thing....うん and うーん are different. The former is "yeah" and the latter is a noncommittal grunt.