Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2011, 08:41 PM   #76
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
This interview makes me want to jump ship right now. I certainly hope that these are long term goals, and that there is a traditional optical full frame in the pipeline right now. I can live with a small camera, but it's not something I necessarily want and I will not buy a mirrorless camera, period. So if Pentax is going to move that way in the future, they will do so at the cost of this fan's loyalty.
I felt the same way reading through the translation, but the first part of the interview is what I think matters, the part where Pentax gets to finish what it has been waiting to finish.

Namely the FF DSLR Pentax - is there anything else as big that was shelved?

I think everything else was healthy dreaming about what could happen.

I started a 'Revolution' thread here a few months back, and if Pentax doesn't give me a FF, then I too will leave the brand.

I have been waiting for a FF DSLR from the first moment I saw the MZ-D.

As I said earlier. I think Pentax is looking for vindication.

12-19-2011, 08:45 PM   #77
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
I felt the same way reading through the translation, but the first part of the interview is what I think matters, the part where Pentax gets to finish what it has been waiting to finish.

Namely the FF DSLR Pentax - is there anything else as big that was shelved?

I think everything else was healthy dreaming about what could happen.

I started a 'Revolution' thread here a few months back, and if Pentax doesn't give me a FF, then I too will leave the brand.

I have been waiting for a FF DSLR from the first moment I saw the MZ-D.

As I said earlier. I think Pentax is looking for vindication.
I don't think it's quite that clear cut, personally. I would be nice if it were a FF dslr, but I suspect they were talking about a variety of things. New lenses, improved AF, flash system, really anything that might have been hamstrung under the Hoya umbrella.
12-19-2011, 08:52 PM   #78

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cadmus Quote
Thanks v5planet!!!!!!!

I agree, miniaturization is not as important as image quality.

Please Mr. Kitazawa, do not move from AA batteries, you will disenfranchise those adventurers who can not recharge.
Agreed, Mamiya 645 AFD series also offer an AA batteries tray for those who want to use it (even if it requires 6 AA batteries to operate). It is good to have options, really.
12-19-2011, 09:05 PM   #79
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In terms of size, I can barely press the tiny buttons on the Q's back side (big thumb ugh)... the K-x is actually a bit small for my hands already, but it still feels fine. Any smaller of an SLR design (as in overall smaller, LxWxH) and it would make a real whole slew of people around the world unhappy. If it's going to get any smaller, I'd rather see Pentax make it mirrorless.

12-19-2011, 09:17 PM - 2 Likes   #80
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by v5planet Quote
I don't think it's quite that clear cut, personally. I would be nice if it were a FF dslr, but I suspect they were talking about a variety of things. New lenses, improved AF, flash system, really anything that might have been hamstrung under the Hoya umbrella.
Well, I have a theory.

The film camera company called Pentax was dying in the SLR category having it's last gasp with the MZ-S. The MZ-S was the Pentax opus to the film era. There was the plastic *ist and other crappy/cheap film cameras, but the MZ-S was the child of the greats - the K1000/LX/MESuper and destined to pass the torch.

At the time, the lead into digital photography was littered with failed attempts. The early Optios were gaining traction as Point and Shoots, and were the stars at Pentax, so the MZ-S team needed to do a slam dunk to stay in the game and stay relevant in the company. The MZ-S team were the best engineers at Pentax - I have no doubt.

So much was tied to the success of the MZ-D that all associated and related lenses and road maps were tied to the MZ-D success. Careers were on the line as well as reputation.

In the last days of film, there were the Optios and the cheap *ist.
Anything serious for professionals? MZ-S and the promise of the MZ-D.

What happened next was the *ist-D became the chosen one, as the MZ-D died during birth. I use the birth metaphor in that the MZ-D went full term but never made it out into the real world.

Everything that came after the *ist-D to the present K5 was never supposed to be the flagship of what Pentax *could* do.

I think the children of the *ist-D have done a remarkable job, but I think it's time for the return of the King.

It's time for Pentax to come back as a serious professional choice and to finish what should have been.

My theory lies in the minds of the creative people at Pentax and a Japanese mind set. The Japanese do not like defeat and love the kind of story that has been played out over the last decade. It makes for good morale. It shows that Pentax never abandons good/great ideas. It shows that no matter the obstacles that need to be overcome, that Pentax - as a Japanese company - can return to greatness or at least fix something in the "honor" of a company.

My theory is that Pentax will release the FF DSLR for the market share, but also for the morale and honor of doing so.

I can bet that somewhere inside of Pentax other share this story, but will never admit to it.

Look at how other companies do similar things to reclaim greatness.

If a FF DSLR comes from Pentax, I will buy it tomorrow because I love a good story and great cameras!
12-19-2011, 09:37 PM   #81

Well, I have a theory.

The film camera company called Pentax was dying in the SLR category having it's last gasp with the MZ-S. The MZ-S was the Pentax opus to the film era. There was the plastic *ist and other crappy/cheap film cameras, but the MZ-S was the child of the greats - the K1000/LX/MESuper and destined to pass the torch.

At the time, the lead into digital photography was littered with failed attempts. The early Optios were gaining traction as Point and Shoots, and were the stars at Pentax, so the MZ-S team needed to do a slam dunk to stay in the game and stay relevant in the company. The MZ-S team were the best engineers at Pentax - I have no doubt.

So much was tied to the success of the MZ-D that all associated and related lenses and road maps were tied to the MZ-D success. Careers were on the line as well as reputation.

In the last days of film, there were the Optios and the cheap *ist.
Anything serious for professionals? MZ-S and the promise of the MZ-D.

What happened next was the *ist-D became the chosen one, as the MZ-D died during birth. I use the birth metaphor in that the MZ-D went full term but never made it out into the real world.

Everything that came after the *ist-D to the present K5 was never supposed to be the flagship of what Pentax *could* do.

I think the children of the *ist-D have done a remarkable job, but I think it's time for the return of the King.

It's time for Pentax to come back as a serious professional choice and to finish what should have been.

My theory lies in the minds of the creative people at Pentax and a Japanese mind set. The Japanese do not like defeat and love the kind of story that has been played out over the last decade. It makes for good morale. It shows that Pentax never abandons good/great ideas. It shows that no matter the obstacles that need to be overcome, that Pentax - as a Japanese company - can return to greatness or at least fix something in the "honor" of a company.

My theory is that Pentax will release the FF DSLR for the market share, but also for the morale and honor of doing so.

I can bet that somewhere inside of Pentax other share this story, but will never admit to it.

Look at how other companies do similar things to reclaim greatness.

If a FF DSLR comes from Pentax, I will buy it tomorrow because I love a good story and great cameras!
Last I heard, Philips was the designated manufacturer of the FF CCD sensor for MZ-D which is the same sensor that Contax N1 Digital uses. But Philips' sensor did not deliver and the project was folded. Pretty much Philips' fault from my point of view.

I personally wish Pentax revives this project, however. They already have almost everything ready. All that is left is just the sensor.
12-19-2011, 09:40 PM   #82
Veteran Member

Don't Miss the Big message Here

QuoteOriginally posted by maxfield_photo Quote
This interview makes me want to jump ship right now. I certainly hope that these are long term goals, and that there is a traditional optical full frame in the pipeline right now. I can live with a small camera, but it's not something I necessarily want, and I will not buy a mirrorless camera, period. So if Pentax is going to move that way in the future, they will do so at the cost of this fan's loyalty.

I think this interview should hold a great deal of excitement for any Pentaxian.

While mirrorless seems to be the focus somewhat, the general message is: "We have freedom to think big again, freedom to implement the good-but-expensive engineering ideas we have had this whole time. We have encouragement from the Ricoh adminisphere, and a large budget is, incredibly, being approved, in chunks, with none of the former Hoya blowback. We are on a ride, we just haven't quite decided where yet."

If you're worried about Mirrorless taking over and K-mount going away - or if you're hopeful about that (?) - you'll be waiting awhile, IMO. K-mount remains a major cash cow for Pentax Imaging. A new sensor deal with (probably) Sony will most likely put sensors in a traditional, smaller-bodied FF DSLR as well as this new M9-for-the-masses he seems to be talking about.

I like how he also brought up something I've been saying for a while - the entry-level DSLR will be hit hard by mirrorless. I think 'shift K-mount lens sales up a tier' logically follows from that, and I now fully suspect Pentax thinks so too.

12-19-2011, 09:42 PM   #83
Veteran Member

Canon and Nikon aren't Japanese companies?

Don't go in too deep for all that Japanese corporate hooh-hah hogwash....they're just as capable of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory as anybody else anywhere on the planet.
12-19-2011, 09:51 PM   #84
Veteran Member

As I always believe that in the immediate future we'll see K-5 Super and/or MZ-D (MR-52) with 24 MP FF Sony sensor and current crop of microprocessor.
12-19-2011, 09:51 PM   #85
Veteran Member

I like the wording there. Cool
12-19-2011, 09:53 PM   #86
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by K1D27H Quote
Last I heard, Philips was the designated manufacturer of the FF CCD sensor for MZ-D which is the same sensor that Contax N1 Digital uses. But Philips' sensor did not deliver and the project was folded. Pretty much Philips' fault from my point of view.

I personally wish Pentax revives this project, however. They already have almost everything ready. All that is left is just the sensor.
Agree 100%, and that is why Pentax needs vindication. How many Canikon folks know the story? Most Canikon folks think Pentax failed as to why there is no Pentax FF.

Have you ever looked at an MZ-S closely? It's a beautiful camera. Very professional and thought out. The *ist-D was never supposed to be the MZ-D.

I still have my 2 *ist-D cameras - FF mirror box and all!!!!
12-19-2011, 10:02 PM   #87

Agree 100%, and that is why Pentax needs vindication. How many Canikon folks know the story? Most Canikon folks think Pentax failed as to why there is no Pentax FF.

Have you ever looked at an MZ-S closely? It's a beautiful camera. Very professional and thought out. The *ist-D was never supposed to be the MZ-D.

I still have my 2 *ist-D cameras - FF mirror box and all!!!!
I do not have a pleasure of that, LaurenOE. But if they release an FF DSLR in that shape, then it is a day one purchase for me.
12-19-2011, 10:17 PM   #88
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by K1D27H Quote
I do not have a pleasure of that, LaurenOE. But if they release an FF DSLR in that shape, then it is a day one purchase for me.
I have no doubt that whatever shape it comes in, I too will buy a FF DSLR on day one!

If they take the MZ-D and the K5, and put them together with some enhancements, I might just be one of those people that you see camping out waiting for the store to open or the package to come.
12-19-2011, 10:24 PM   #89
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
I think this interview should hold a great deal of excitement for any Pentaxian.

While mirrorless seems to be the focus somewhat, the general message is: "We have freedom to think big again, freedom to implement the good-but-expensive engineering ideas we have had this whole time. We have encouragement from the Ricoh adminisphere, and a large budget is, incredibly, being approved, in chunks, with none of the former Hoya blowback. We are on a ride, we just haven't quite decided where yet."

If you're worried about Mirrorless taking over and K-mount going away - or if you're hopeful about that (?) - you'll be waiting awhile, IMO. K-mount remains a major cash cow for Pentax Imaging. A new sensor deal with (probably) Sony will most likely put sensors in a traditional, smaller-bodied FF DSLR as well as this new M9-for-the-masses he seems to be talking about.

I like how he also brought up something I've been saying for a while - the entry-level DSLR will be hit hard by mirrorless. I think 'shift K-mount lens sales up a tier' logically follows from that, and I now fully suspect Pentax thinks so too.

I agree with everything you said. I really want a Pentax full frame camera, but reading this interview the thing that struck me most is how excited the developer seems to be about the Ricoh purchase. That is great news whether you are a happy APS-C Pentax user or a full frame daydreamer. As a Pentax consumer this reassures me greatly heading into next year.
12-19-2011, 11:12 PM   #90
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by v5planet Quote

Kitazawa: Well, regarding the 645, sooner or later we will want to make it into a mirrorless. The reason is the mirror shock inherent to SLRs. Those very tiny vibrations do have an effect on the final image. I think in the future I would like to pursue mirrorless full-frame and 645 cameras.

Kitazawa: Because no other manufacturer has yet released a full-frame mirrorless camera, [...]

Kitazawa: No comment (laughter). If - IF - Pentax releases a full-frame camera, I think it would certainly need to be priced within reach of average customers. The 645 is something else...

-- Somehow it feels like a 35mm full-size mirrorless is truly in our near future.

Kitazawa: Near future? Thank you (laughter).

- Be that as it may, I really want to see it happen soon.

Kitazawa: I think I'd like to get the engine going on those developments. [?]

- With all this fuss you're making over wanting to pursue greater image quality, one would assume that you are thinking beyond full-frame mirrorless to 645 mirrorless, as well.

- So for SLR cameras you are aiming to make the APS-C format smaller. For mirrorless, you will go 35mm full-frame. And finally, the 645 will go mirrorless as well, correct?

Kitazawa: Thank you very much. It would seem you've been kind enough to sketch out a product map for us, Mr. Tanaka. (laughter)

Yeah. If you look at autofocus and shake reduction right now, the systems are built as hardware with actual moving parts, right? Naturally I think these systems will continue to improve progressively, but if you look into the future, I believe we will see these functions taken over by electronics.

The viewfinder is one of the features that Pentax puts a lot of attention into. Ever since the K-7, Pentax has been giving us cameras that -- though they are small -- offer 100% coverage in a beautiful display. Really, to a camera, the viewfinder is very important. When we go mirrorless, do you think it will remain so?

Kitazawa: Yes, it is very important. Last year, if you were to point out something that makes mirrorless cameras different from SLRs, it would certainly have to be the viewfinder. Moving forward at Pentax, we want to make even our entry-level SLR models offer full coverage. Without fail.
----
GO PENTAX This is the message that i've been waiting for since Ricoh bought Pentax. A serious plan, and then some.

Looking at what happened to Sony's NEX when it first came out, a whole lot of negative comments. Now thats died down, we have a few threads by folks raving about their IQ from the 5n, and the camera line looks like a solid winner.

Pentax either has to make this breakthru to mirrorless or it will fade away.

Personally, i'm glad i have a K5 right now, its a solid low light camera that will see me through until the various Pentax mirrorless arrive.

Last edited by philbaum; 12-19-2011 at 11:33 PM.