Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2011, 05:25 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lurchlarson Quote
I would fully support a Pentax FF, even if it required a new lens mount.

Now this here is all day dreaming but imagine this scenario,

Since C&N are not making any significant jumps into the mirror-less markets, Pentax comes out with a mirrorless full frame that blows the 5dmk2 out of the water. It has a virtually silent shutter (great for birders), great high ISO (6400+), 24-36mp, shoots at least 7fps, crazy fast AF, is weatherproof, dual sd, and launches with a 28-80, 50 1.4, 85 1.4, 100mm 2.8 macro, and a 70-200 2.8. The lenses are all sporting a new focus system, "Hypersonic Drive Motor" replacement for the old SDM and all the lenses are weatherproofed. The camera is priced at $2199. Canon and Nikon, not seeing Pentax as a threat, ignore it, but the reviews for the camera+lenses are excellent, sending serious amateurs and a few pro's flocking to it. Suddenly Pentax has the #1 FF and has money to invest in even more R&D. That would be a wonderful return to the old glory days of Pentax for sure.
The interview was rather ambiguous, but he was pretty clear on the part about the lenses. I'm not sure he was talking about the mount. He could have been talking about the focal lengths. I'm not sure what lenses Pentax has for FF. The 31, 43, and 77 would be good I assume. I'm not sure they of the same quality as the Nikon 35mm F1.4, 85mm F1.5 or 100mm F2.0. I've been using the 35mm F1.4 and that's probably the best lens I've ever used. I can't really compare the Pentax ones because of the difference in sensor size.

Either way I think the interview was very positive if one is hoping for a FF Pentax body of some kind. It sounds like everyone will at least know at some point in 2012 when they will make it.

12-19-2011, 05:26 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think it is inevitable that entry level and mid-range cameras will become smaller. I also think it is inevitable that electronics will replace all the mechanical functions in cameras.
If the aim is better IQ then this is an obvious path to take. The doubters amongst us will soon realise that technology can and will solve any of the inherent problems with mirrorless cameras.
12-19-2011, 05:32 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lurchlarson Quote
I would fully support a Pentax FF, even if it required a new lens mount.

Now this here is all day dreaming but imagine this scenario,

Since C&N are not making any significant jumps into the mirror-less markets, Pentax comes out with a mirrorless full frame that blows the 5dmk2 out of the water.
The reason Nikon and Canon don't make a mirrorless FF camera is that it won't sell. Hardly any pro would want a camera without a decent optical viewfinder...
12-19-2011, 05:35 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by P虱 Jensen Quote
The reason Nikon and Canon don't make a mirrorless FF camera is that it won't sell. Hardly any pro would want a camera without a decent optical viewfinder...
Nor would I want a Pentax FF without one.

12-19-2011, 05:36 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
So FF, if Pentax goes that way (no commitment whatsoever in the interview) will likely be mirrorless, not K-mount..
It is impossible to read the above from the interview.
Here is what it is said - about the only hard fact of some value:

"Although mirrorless is an emerging genre, we don't feel this means we should necessarily be striving to enter this market. Listening to our customers' concerns about the size and weight of SLR cameras, we feel we should try to scale down the size of our products as much as possible."

Translation. Mirrorless is something Pentax will not go into with full force anytime soon. They will make DSLR even smaller. So if Pentax will release an FF camera in the near future it will definitely not be a mirrorless, but a small DSLR.
12-19-2011, 05:38 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Even if that were true, it doesn't matter much - the whole FF market is overwhelmingly enthusiast, not 'pro'.

IMO, CaNikon haven't come out with a Mirrorless FF because they haven't thought of a way to position it yet that wouldn't cannibalize a big chunk of their existing FF business. (They've barely bothered with mirrorless aps-c up until this point for similar reasons in that tier.)

Ricoh has no existing FF business to cannibalize. It would provide an inside lane for a Nimble player to take....

(and many pros want smaller cameras as seconds, or travel/opportunity tools. This (FF mirrorless) would fit that bill nicely.)

Last edited by jsherman999; 12-19-2011 at 05:47 PM.
12-19-2011, 05:40 PM   #37
Banned

To me it seems Mr Kitazawa has a chance to dream, again. Pentax was given a new chance with Ricoh, and they explore options which were shelved before, when they were under the Hoya. So he states what is all possible, and Ricoh wants to explore that too. Judging from his cautious but still enthusiastic tone, he and the whole team are well aware as to where they should be in the future of photography. And that future must have a mirrorless option, definitely. Whatever sensor technology there is, it is possible to integrate it even easier in a mirrorless approach.

12-19-2011, 05:40 PM   #38

nice translation
but i think it would be my thoughts instead of my thinking
12-19-2011, 05:41 PM   #39
Oog
Forum Member

I kind of wonder why Kitazawa touched on how he was impressed with 4K resolution vs HD. Those are terms used in cinematography and post-production of film and video. Funny he is impressed now with 4K, when the technology existed 12 years ago to scan 35mm cine at 2K or 4K digital. (but was extremely expensive back then to work at high resolutions and output that to film in 4K glorious res - the common intermediate step was to transfer to digital Betacam (720x486) or HDCAM (1920x1080) for editing). Now we are more commonly able to see 4K res video output, and it is glorious indeed.
12-19-2011, 05:41 PM   #40
Veteran Member

That's not accurate. Steve Huff uses mirrorless cameras, Kirk Tuck uses mirrorless cameras to name two professional photographers. This guy uses a lot of mirrorless cameras and he's definitely a professional (see his gear list at the end of the post):

Why I Shoot So Many Images as A Professional Photographer

Maybe the wedding photographer with a little shop on the corner won't but woop-te-doo. Anyway, I could personally care less what camera someone else is using. I don't need some else to justify my camera decisions. And I have a D700 and an X100.

And I might add if you are basing it on the "mythical pro photographer" I keep reading about on this forum, Pentax is sunk anyway. No 24-70mm F2.8, no 12-24mm F2.8, no 70-200mm F2.8, no 24mm F1.8, no 35mm F1.4, no 85mm 1.4, no 100mm F2.0. So if that's the standard people are setting, Pentax would be stupid to make a Full Frame camera anyway, since they don't have the lenses the "pro" wants.
12-19-2011, 05:42 PM   #41
Pentaxian

thx for the translation, v5!!
12-19-2011, 05:42 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Alright, the last of the interview is up guys. Take it with a grain of salty, my Japanese is rusty. Don't look too much into the precise wording of things as it will have already gone through my interpretive filter before coming out as English.
12-19-2011, 05:45 PM   #43
Inactive Account

I'm in the market for a new Pentax for my Spring Photography class... and I'm beyond excited. I'll be buying in January... so what will Pentax have to offer?
12-19-2011, 05:58 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ScreamingIdiot Quote
I'm in the market for a new Pentax for my Spring Photography class... and I'm beyond excited. I'll be buying in January... so what will Pentax have to offer?
Nothing related to this interview. I'd guess it's fairly likely a K-r replacement will probably be announced early 2012, though.
12-19-2011, 05:59 PM   #45
Veteran Member

It really sounds like Pentax now is an extremely ambitious company that feel that they got the future in their hands. Exactly the opposite of what many non-Pentax users seem to think about Pentax.