Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2011, 06:10 AM   #106
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mace Quote
I actually do travel quite a lot too and less weight would be great. But in terms of ergonomics, I think that the K-7,K-5 are definitely at the lower limit of the size, unless a major ergonomic redesign will be included in the top line DSLRs. And my hands aren't even that big..
You can always buy a grip to make a small camera larger. Making large cameras smaller is not that simple....

12-20-2011, 06:29 AM   #107
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mace Quote
I actually do travel quite a lot too and less weight would be great. But in terms of ergonomics, I think that the K-7,K-5 are definitely at the lower limit of the size, unless a major ergonomic redesign will be included in the top line DSLRs. And my hands aren't even that big.
I've never handled a K-7 or K-5 since I've never seen one in person (although I do believe they exist), but I've always found my K-x to be very comfortable to hold and ergonomic to use, and it's even smaller than the K-7/K-5. The compact size is one of the things that attracted me to Pentax in the first place, so I think they're on the right track by focusing on putting as much functionality as possible into as small a body as possible.
12-20-2011, 06:52 AM   #108
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
I don't think so. It says that mirrorless is not something Pentax will necessarily make effords in. Mirrorless is nothing new; they have been around since day one of photography. Pentax is primarily a mirror camera company. Seeing mirrorless as a SLR replacement is wrong.
北沢 645 ですが、そのうちミラーレスを作りたいですね。 理由は一眼レフのミラーショックです。この微振動ってかなり画質に影響しているんです。 将来的にはフルサイズや645でミラーレス化をねらいたいなと思います。
Kitazawa: Well, regarding the 645, sooner or later we will want to make it into a mirrorless. The reason is the mirror shock inherent to SLRs. Those very tiny vibrations do have an effect on the final image. I think in the future I would like to pursue mirrorless full-frame and 645 cameras.

— おおっ、大胆な話ですね。どちらが現実味があるかというとフルサイズのミラーレス化。
-- Oh my, these are quite bold statements. If we were to look at which is more likely, it would be full frame going mirrorless.

北沢 そうですね。
Kitazawa: It seems that way.

[emphasis added in both quotes]

It seems your opinion of what Pentax wants to do is the exact opposite of what Mr. Kitazawa wants Pentax to do.
12-20-2011, 07:00 AM   #109
Pentaxian

True. The only solid information was that Pentax will continue to make small DSLR's. All the mirrorless babble was from the interviewer and all Pentax said was that they would not neccesarily go in that direction...
But they already did with the Q.

The whole interview is an interesting read, while enjoying a good wine, but I'm sure mr. Kitazawa says one thing and does the other. He's laughing his a** off at the moment

12-20-2011, 07:38 AM   #110
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
True. The only solid information was that Pentax will continue to make small DSLR's. All the mirrorless babble was from the interviewer and all Pentax said was that they would not neccesarily go in that direction...
I think it's pretty clear that they see a future where even 645 cameras are mirrorless. But it's also fairly obvious from the comments that this isn't imminent at all.
But smaller DSLRs are imminent!

I like that he talks about 100% viewfinders. I also find the 4k comments interesting!
12-20-2011, 07:41 AM   #111
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
I've never handled a K-7 or K-5 since I've never seen one in person (although I do believe they exist), but I've always found my K-x to be very comfortable to hold and ergonomic to use, and it's even smaller than the K-7/K-5. The compact size is one of the things that attracted me to Pentax in the first place, so I think they're on the right track by focusing on putting as much functionality as possible into as small a body as possible.
I've briefly handled a K-5, and immediately found it easier to grip than my K10D despite having large hands.
12-20-2011, 07:43 AM   #112
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cfraz Quote

It seems your opinion of what Pentax wants to do is the exact opposite of what Mr. Kitazawa wants Pentax to do.
Maybe Pål was talking about the near future. I think Mr. Kitazawa was thinking quite long ahead here. It's pretty obvious that at some point a few years ahead, EVFs will be so good that OVFs will be just for nostalgics.

12-20-2011, 07:49 AM   #113
Veteran Member

My god if any of this will become real ... my god... we better get use to much much larger Pentax community
12-20-2011, 07:56 AM   #114
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Maybe Pål was talking about the near future. I think Mr. Kitazawa was thinking quite long ahead here. It's pretty obvious that at some point a few years ahead, EVFs will be so good that OVFs will be just for nostalgics.
You're probably right about the different time scale perspectives. Regarding EVF vs OVF, I just don't see how an electronically reproduced picture of a scene can ever be as good as the scene itself.
12-20-2011, 08:07 AM - 1 Like   #115
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cfraz Quote
You're probably right about the different time scale perspectives. Regarding EVF vs OVF, I just don't see how an electronically reproduced picture of a scene can ever be as good as the scene itself.
Given time and technological developments i can't see it not achieving it eventually. I will go with OVF for the interim, but i imagine a time where a EVF will just make more sense in many ways.
Having watched TV go from

to this

There is no reason to believe we won't see an EVF that wows even a die hard OVF guy sooner or later
12-20-2011, 08:10 AM   #116
Pentaxian

You can always buy a grip to make a small camera larger. Making large cameras smaller is not that simple....
my thoughts exactlyl, and grips can be made with lots of value added features. They can have extra batteries, memory cards,, flash mounts,
GPS, teathering ports, wi-fi transmitters, computer network ports, rollers for windowshade style roll up large screens and an endless list
of add ons...... to make a great value added combination---as well as a place for big paws to hang on to the thing. they could even contain
optical viewfinders that effectively turned the camera into a Twin lens reflex....
12-20-2011, 08:21 AM   #117
Veteran Member

a FF, mirrorless or not ( I will take it any way) , with a design inspired by the old Pentax SLRs (NOT SONY NEX ) , magnesium body , 100% VF not electronic (Fuji did it) , 2 wheels front and back. 3 top of the line prime lenses , wide , normal , tele . (kit should come with an option for the wide!!! (we like wide!!!) or the normal ) .
price something like that :
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Digital Camera (Body Only) 2764B003 B&H

if that will come true I will go dancing naked in times sq
12-20-2011, 08:27 AM   #118
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
I think it's pretty clear that they see a future where even 645 cameras are mirrorless. But it's also fairly obvious from the comments that this isn't imminent at all.
Give it about 20 years or so. Then we might get pure electronic finders (as opposed to screens on the back of the camera). But before that, new battery technology is needed and heat generating problems from sensors need to be solved. Remeber that DSLR's already have electronic screens and EVIL cameras are cameras without the feature of a true viewfinder useful for aiming, composing and following action. The gain is reducing cost without sacrifing the quality of a good optical finder but we are far away from that....
12-20-2011, 08:28 AM   #119
Veteran Member

I'm not crazy about what I'm reading... From what I'm gleaning from the interview, they're heading toward high-end FF 645 mirrorless cameras and teeny little DSLRs which may even be too small to use the k-mount. I don't want either.

I realize he never explicitly said there were plans to drop the K-mount, but there's only so small you can build a camera before it becomes necessary to change the mount for something smaller. The day they drop the K-mount, is the day I jump ship.

Plus, I think the size of the current Pentax DSLRs are just right. Any smaller and ergonomics will suffer.

A lot of folks seems to want a FF camera or a mirrorless camera. I don't want either. FF will be too expensive for me to afford, and I just plain don't want a mirrorless camera. I do quite a bit of nature photography & occasionally sports events, and unless there has been some breakthrough in mirrorless cameras I don't know about, they suck at tracking moving targets. So a mirrorless camera isn't an option for me.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I'm happy with Pentax as is. I don't want some radical revamping of their line that's gonna force me to sell my lenses & go to another system because I can no longer find a suitable body for my K lenses. And I don't want a phasing out of what Pentax does best: Affordable, high quality DSLRs.

So there's my 2 cents.
12-20-2011, 08:30 AM   #120
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
But they already did with the Q.

The whole interview is an interesting read, while enjoying a good wine, but I'm sure mr. Kitazawa says one thing and does the other. He's laughing his a** off at the moment
They did that because they wanted to make the spiritual replacement of the Auto 110; a tiny interchangeable lens camera, not because they primarily wanted to go in the mirrorless direction....