Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 54 Likes Search this Thread
01-05-2012, 06:46 AM   #346
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Imagine if they made an eyepiece that gives you some nose room.
This will go a large part of the way towards solving your schnozz problem:

01-05-2012, 01:51 PM   #347

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
I'd be pissed if I bought a Canon camera and a few lenses in 1986 or whatever year that was.
Exactly what my dad did with the T90. At the time he was peeved but guess what? All that stuff.... drum roll... still works and still takes great pictures! I don't think Ricoh will change the K-mount anytime soon, but when that happens it won't actually make anything redundant.

I'm saving my knee-jerk reaction for when there's actually some news to react to. See you all then!
01-05-2012, 03:30 PM   #348
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
This will go a large part of the way towards solving your schnozz problem:
Did you not read the next sentence after that in my post? Or any of the rest of what followed?
01-05-2012, 04:53 PM   #349
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by digitalCG Quote
but when that happens it won't actually make anything redundant.
Except for the part where it wont happen

01-05-2012, 06:26 PM   #350
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
As I've mentioned before, this doesn't need to be an either/or, especially with the GXR modular concept. Imagine:

- 1 body, larger than current GXR, with CPU to handle FF and other related functions
- 1 module, standard K-mount, including FF sensor, PDAF, OVF
- 1 module, mirrorless K-mount, smaller, EVF, takes new line of K-mount lenses (K2)?

How cool would that be?

Some things that need to be remembered:
- Mirrorless is not just for small size
- Size is not just a function of the presence/absence of a mirror
- Sensor size impacts lens size. Larger sensors equal larger lenses
- Mirrorless FF size benefits most evident with primes. With zooms, lens size is a bigger influence in overall size
- As much as we here in this little forum like primes, most of the world uses zooms.

Happy new year everyone!
I agree that would be cool and allows Pentax a way forward. There seems to be a large contradiction in Pentax forum member attitudes: Many agree that mirrorless is the camera design of the future, most just don't want it now. Meanwhile i went to my camera club recently and talked to one of my friends who just converted a Nex 5 to an infrared camera and concurently bought a Nex 7. His previous camera was a Sony A900. Seems very happy with the Nex's;, and i'm meanwhile still happy with my K5, especially after stretching 3 ink-jet printed canvases yesterday, 20"x30" that came out in spectacular fashion. Lens was the DA 50-135 - love that lens!

I just get this feeling that Pentax needs to stick their toe in the mirrorless market in a more definitive way than the Q; its not that i'm unhappy with what i have, this is more of an interesting discussion to me than anything else.

anyway John, in your interesting proposal, you didn't mention whether this new larger GXR model would have body SR or lens SR, or focus motor in the lens or body. Both are decisions which i think make a difference in lens size, perhaps body size.
01-05-2012, 09:53 PM   #351
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by digitalCG Quote
I don't think Ricoh will change the K-mount anytime soon, but when that happens it won't actually make anything redundant.
No, but it will make my current lenses much less valuable, should I decide to switch to their new system. And if ricoh is the one making me switch my lenses I'll be a bit peeved at them at the time I decide to switch, so it's way less likely I switch to a different pentax mount.

I bought the Pentax because I like the lenses, and I like the cameras... I like their philosophy of small lenses, small cameras, and backwards compatibility. If they abandon one of the three I'll probably check out what color the grass is in the neighbor's yard.
01-06-2012, 12:37 AM   #352
Forum Member

Anyhow, Pentax has to do something or noone will buy their stuff anymore.

Like every winter I was planning to buy some new things, this time a new lens. The idea is that then I have the winter to get used to it, so that I'l be totally ready when in March the new photo season starts (at least for me - I photograph archaeological sites and remains, and for that March and April are the best months).
But with all the Pentax mess this year I decided to buy nothing. I first want to know if Pentax will be available, with the K mount.

I don't know if there are many people like me. Bt even if only 10 % of the clients think and behave ike I do, this must be bad for Pentax. They better annoouce their plans and new products very soon.

01-06-2012, 03:13 AM   #353
Pentaxian

I fully agree, and now look at the very promising fuji announcements...

If i had some money, i would just spare it for a few month and NOT buy any K-mount or Pentax product in the meantime i take a possibly alternative decision.

If it takes too long for PRIC to say what their intentions are, and also make official product anouncements, then i could sell off all my once dearest brand equipment.

If the K-mount is annouced to be dropped, i will do the same, and hardly consider any Pentax new mirrorless mount, in comparison of all the alternative choices, and/or btw Canikon's Slrs.

Listen Ricoh : time is running out !

Last edited by Zygonyx; 01-06-2012 at 03:19 AM.
01-06-2012, 06:57 AM - 1 Like   #354
Veteran Member

There is not a snowballs chance in hell K mount will be dropped anytime in the near future. Ricoh bought Pentax as a going concern and want to focus on building the brand not decimate it. How in the hell did this rumour get started. Ricoh has said they will be releasing a K mount module for the GXR this year - why do that and then kill the lens source
yep there have been no announcements (they've had the company since October first - not much chance anything coming out today will be fully influenced by Ricoh
Yep there is a good chance the kr and k5 for that matter are discontinued (and if not are likely to be soon) and no replacement has been announced, Well odds are replacement plans have been derailed by destroyed sensor plants. maybe rather than announce a camera they couldn't bring to market they decided to wait until it was closer to available and maybe tinker a bit (like say upgrade to 100% VF on the KR replacement)
I've never seen a more negative bunch then all the posters lately. AFAIC Ricoh will turn out to be the best thing to happen at pentax in years but i don't expect an overnight miracle.
01-06-2012, 07:04 AM   #355
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Yep there is a good chance the kr and k5 for that matter are discontinued (and if not are likely to be soon) and no replacement has been announced, Well odds are replacement plans have been derailed by destroyed sensor plants. maybe rather than announce a camera they couldn't bring to market they decided to wait until it was closer to available and maybe tinker a bit (like say upgrade to 100% VF on the KR replacement)
I've never seen a more negative bunch then all the posters lately. AFAIC Ricoh will turn out to be the best thing to happen at pentax in years but i don't expect an overnight miracle.
+1! The fact that the K-r and even K-5 may be discontinued should just be seen as proof that new cameras are just around the corner. I think it's just obvious that we'll see a 16mp K-r replacement and a 24mp K-5 replacement maybe as early as in a few days at PMA@CES, and when not in a few weeks in Japan. I'm a bit curious about the hints at 100% VF for the K-r replacement, though. The K-r was already somewhat diffusely placed in the market, it was somewhat more advanced than other "beginner DSLRs". If they make it even more advanced, what about the low end? Are they ready to introduce mirrorless for that? Or maybe even a third DSLR tier?
01-06-2012, 07:09 AM   #356
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
+1! The fact that the K-r and even K-5 may be discontinued should just be seen as proof that new cameras are just around the corner. I think it's just obvious that we'll see a 16mp K-r replacement and a 24mp K-5 replacement maybe as early as in a few days at PMA@CES, and when not in a few weeks in Japan. I'm a bit curious about the hints at 100% VF for the K-r replacement, though. The K-r was already somewhat diffusely placed in the market, it was somewhat more advanced than other "beginner DSLRs". If they make it even more advanced, what about the low end? Are they ready to introduce mirrorless for that? Or maybe even a third DSLR tier?
I think the statement was ALL DSLR would be 100% VF. It may well be they've decided to change the standards in the entry level tier for slr. and then add at the top for the 3rd
Milc is going to come sooner or later as well. but i would bet it's a new mount that has a good K adapter (maybe for the first year the adapter will come with the camera - that would be marketing genius) - Maybe there will be a redefined Pentax GXR with a slightly larger WR body and apsc/FF/645 Mountors
Whatever they do I'm sure it will be a pretty interesting couple of years (and like Fuji Ricoh seems to like to be different as well)
01-06-2012, 07:56 AM   #357
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by myrdinn Quote
Anyhow, Pentax has to do something or noone will buy their stuff anymore.

Like every winter I was planning to buy some new things, this time a new lens. The idea is that then I have the winter to get used to it, so that I'l be totally ready when in March the new photo season starts (at least for me - I photograph archaeological sites and remains, and for that March and April are the best months).
But with all the Pentax mess this year I decided to buy nothing. I first want to know if Pentax will be available, with the K mount.

I don't know if there are many people like me. Bt even if only 10 % of the clients think and behave ike I do, this must be bad for Pentax. They better annoouce their plans and new products very soon.
I agree. I am holding off purchasing K-mount things until I see the direction Rich is taking Pentax.

Dave
01-06-2012, 08:06 AM   #358
Pentaxian

Erm... forward?
01-06-2012, 08:43 AM   #359

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Erm... forward?
Perhaps, but whether or not that "forward" is the same one we have been expecting remains to be seen.
01-06-2012, 10:23 AM   #360
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
I think the statement was ALL DSLR would be 100% VF. It may well be they've decided to change the standards in the entry level tier for slr. and then add at the top for the 3rd
Milc is going to come sooner or later as well. but i would bet it's a new mount that has a good K adapter (maybe for the first year the adapter will come with the camera - that would be marketing genius) - Maybe there will be a redefined Pentax GXR with a slightly larger WR body and apsc/FF/645 Mountors
Whatever they do I'm sure it will be a pretty interesting couple of years (and like Fuji Ricoh seems to like to be different as well)
This is all interesting ideas, if not speculations.
Regarding forthcomming GXR K-mount, i would be glad to know your source.
Regarding Ricoh's Pentaxist ambitions, they had better preparing a consistent announcement package if they don't want to decieve their actual and future customers.
Again, look at the new and multiple Fuji stuffs just beeing announced, it's very impressive !