Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2007, 01:28 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Speculation: No January 24th Release - April, May, or Later Instead.

I've been reading the speculation lately and most seem utterly convinced of at least one new camera slated for release on January 24th. Of course, previous speculations about prior dates were proven entirely wrong. And I'm beginning to seriously doubt the January 24th date as well. Before saying more, let me lay the foundation for this doubt.

1. On October 29th, Pentax released a letter stating the two companies, Hoya and Pentax, had reached an agreement to merge, effective March 31, 2008. Since neither company is likely to commit much to the other until that merger is a fully done deal ("effective"), there is probably very little going on right now between the two companies in regards to new products.

2. Since certainly some of the senior executives at Pentax, and some of the senior staff, will be leaving following the merger, replaced by executives and staff from the new parent company (Hoya), a number of senior Pentax personnel have little incentive now to rush the development or production of new products they will gain little from. This behavior is very common in these situations. In the USA military, for example, it's jokingly referred to as a "short-timer's attitude."

3. The actual production of a new product is very expensive, with those costs shared by the shareholders of the company. Those costs will be spread to a wider base of shareholders following the merger, reducing the share of those costs for any one shareholder. Therefore, current Pentax shareholders, to avoid bearing any further costs alone, have every reason to avoid expensive production costs for a new product until after the merger is completed.

4. I've seen nothing (news, announcements, etc) to suggest Pentax has opened a new factory, or expanded an existing one, to support the production of a new camera.

5. Telephone calls to Pentax have verified that there has been no official announcements at this time, from Pentax to regional Pentax distributers or Pentax to the public, about a new camera such as that being discussed here actually existing or in production, or a January 24th release date. In fact, those on the telephone were careful to stress the lack of any official announcement. If the opposite were true, non-disclosure agreements might have triggered a non-committal response, but not an outright denial.

6. Pentax has obviously not released the new camera before now, missing several important international trade shows. What is so different about January 24th and the PMA trade show? In other words, what is Pentax waiting for now that will suddenly change on January 24th? In my opinon, Pentax is waiting for the actual Pentax/Hoya merger which occurs in March, not January.

I know this idea may not prove popular, but these factors taken together (not individually) just do not bode well for the January 24th date. Indeed, if the groundwork for production or actual production itself, both requiring time, do not start until after March 31st, any new camera in the eventual works may not be announced or released until April, May, or even later.

stewart

Notes: The title was abbreviated for succinctness. If you read the last sentence again, you'll notice my comments apply equally to both the announcement and release dates. After all, it is highly unlikely Pentax would even want to announce a product in January which might not be available for another three, four, or more months. - stewart

Last edited by stewart_photo; 12-23-2007 at 04:59 AM.
12-23-2007, 01:50 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stewart_photo Quote
I've been reading the speculation lately and most seem utterly convinced of at least one new camera slated for release on January 24th. Of course, previous speculations about prior dates were proven entirely wrong. And I'm beginning to seriously doubt the January 24th date as well. Before saying more, let me lay the foundation for this doubt.

1. On October 29th, Pentax released a letter stating the two companies, Hoya and Pentax, had reached an agreement to merge, effective March 31, 2008. Since neither company is likely to commit much to the other until that merger is a fully done deal ("effective"), there is probably very little going on right now between the two companies in regards to new products.

2. Since certainly some of the senior executives at Pentax, and some of the senior staff, will be leaving following the merger, replaced by executives and staff from the new parent company (Hoya), a number of senior Pentax personnel have little incentive now to rush the development or production of new products they will gain little from. This behavior is very common in these situations. In the USA military, for example, it's jokingly referred to as a "short-timer's attitude."

3. The actual production of a new product is very expensive, with those costs shared by the shareholders of the company. Those costs will be spread to a wider base of shareholders following the merger, reducing the share of those costs for any one shareholder. Therefore, current Pentax shareholders, to avoid bearing any further costs alone, have every reason to avoid expensive production costs for a new product until after the merger is completed.

4. I've seen nothing (news, announcements, etc) to suggest Pentax has opened a new factory, or expanded an existing one, to support the production of a new camera.

5. Telephone calls to Pentax have verified that there has been no official announcements at this time, from Pentax to regional Pentax distributers or Pentax to the public, about a new camera such as that being discussed here actually existing or in production, or a January 24th release date. In fact, those on the telephone were careful to stress the lack of any official announcement. If the opposite were true, non-disclosure agreements might have triggered a non-committal response, but not an outright denial.

6. Pentax has obviously not released the new camera before now, missing several important international trade shows. What is so different about January 24th and the PMA trade show? In other words, what is Pentax waiting for now that will suddenly change on January 24th? In my opinon, Pentax is waiting for the actual Pentax/Hoya merger which occurs in March, not January.

I know this idea may not prove popular, but these factors taken together (not individually) just do not bode well for the January 24th date. Indeed, if the groundwork for production or actual production itself, both requiring time, do not start until after March 31st, any new camera in the eventual works may not be announced or released until April, May, or even later.

stewart
I agree with a couple things but really do not see an actual connection in this realting to a non-annoucement in January. We shall see.
12-23-2007, 03:00 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Before products are released, they will be *announced* and this is what we are expecting to happen in January in time for the PMA show (the major Photo show where Pentax traditionally announces new products). I believe products announced late January may be released sometime around late March or in April. There is still plenty of time to prepare the factory for production. Before production starts, the products needs to be announced. It is not a good idea to start production before the announcement, because it is hard to avoid leaks when the products starts rolling out of the factory... *<
12-23-2007, 03:44 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Darn, I had almost decided not to get the K10D, which was my intention initially, but to wait for the K20D (or whatever it's called). But if it won't be available until April or something, well that is a long, long time to wait...

12-23-2007, 04:13 AM   #5

Oh, there will be announcment on the 24th...

Last edited by B051LjKo; 12-23-2007 at 04:51 AM.
12-23-2007, 04:27 AM   #6
Forum Member

I've been reading the speculation lately and most seem utterly convinced of at least one new camera slated for release on January 24th.
There are NONE speculations that the new cameras will be released ont the 24th of January! Only the announcment will be on that date or arount that dat.

That is being very normal, so that we the costumers can safe are money to spent on their new stuff...
12-23-2007, 04:39 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thosan Quote
Darn, I had almost decided not to get the K10D, which was my intention initially, but to wait for the K20D (or whatever it's called). But if it won't be available until April or something, well that is a long, long time to wait...
If you need a camera now, then the K10D is still the best bargain out there!

12-23-2007, 04:44 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I read(badly translated by me) in the local photomagazine here that Pentax wants to get the gear out before the Olympics in Beijing and showcase the photos taken by Pentax.
12-23-2007, 04:51 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Title Abbreviated - No January 24th Release or Announcement...

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
I agree with a couple things but really do not see an actual connection in this realting to a non-annoucement in January. We shall see.
QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
Before products are released, they will be *announced* (snip)

Actually, the title was abbreviated for succinctness. If you read the last sentence in that message again, you'll notice my comments applied equally to both the announcement and release dates. After all, it is highly unlikely Pentax would even want to announce a product in January which might not be available for another three, four, or more months.

stewart
12-23-2007, 05:00 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by B051LjKo Quote
Oh, there will be announcment on the 24th...
r u so sure of that date?
12-23-2007, 05:02 AM   #11
Veteran Member

After all, it is highly unlikely Pentax would even want to announce a product in January which might not be available for another three, four, or more months.
If they don't do it for PMA-show, then the next major chance is not until Photokina after the summer. That is too far away.
12-23-2007, 05:04 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Jan 24th is a rumour coming from China, but a few days before PMA show would be likely.
It could happen anytime after Jan 20th I believe.
12-23-2007, 05:33 AM   #13
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Which day do you think that it will be? Or you don't may tell us that?
12-23-2007, 06:07 AM   #14

Seem like we CAN be sure that there IS a new camera already. I mean pre-production smaples. That in genral means that the camera is ready. Assuming that, Jan 24 looks logical. Later announcement, leter release - loss of money...
12-23-2007, 07:16 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
If you need a camera now, then the K10D is still the best bargain out there!
Yes it is, but i still have my S3 IS (yes i know a dslr will rock it pretty hard) and i'm one of those dudes that likes new and shiny toys eventhough K10D will probably be more then i need in the beginning.