Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2012, 03:42 PM   #151
Senior Member
MMVIII's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: EU
Posts: 242
I don't want to sound cheeky, but I always wonder about this approach. As much as I understand the monetary value of technical tools I fail to see them as beeing a smart way of investment or even reserve. Either you are a pro and use the equipment that brings you a ROI in a foreseeable time or you are a hobbyist, which spents money on his hobby, like with motorbikes, stereo equipment, sailing or whatever. I don't want to judge anyones point of view, but in my opinion this "inevestment" argument is an excuse, to whomever That's why I'm with the people who insist on seeing their choice of TOOLS still at least as valuable as it was at the time of the purchase, I suspect they had a reason and need to buy it.
If other companies might come out with new things, how should this influence the capabilities of your equipment from the potographers point of view? It might from a collectors or even investors, but, nevertheless, I would expect to find mainly the first type in a photoforum... I might be completely off, though...


QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
What he's saying, and what some of you are obstinately refusing to understand, is that our lenses have a dollar value attached to them, and that dollar value will be negatively effected if Pentax bows out of the K-mount. I'm not making any predictions about the future of the K-mount, but that is his point. Lenses designed for a dead system will not be worth as much as lenses that can be used on future cameras.

It is also something that I have been kind of worried about recently as Pentax has continued keep its future DSLR plans a secret while word has been circulating about the demise of the K-r and K-5.

One of the reasons I don't mind spending my hard earned (and all too scarce) money on lenses is because I know I'll be able to get almost what I paid for them when I decide to sell them...if not more. So far, I've made money every time I've sold a lens. It's almost like having money in the bank. My wife sometimes complains, but I make the point that if there's some kind of emergency and we need cash, I can sell my camera gear for a couple thousand. So if Pentax does stop supporting the K-mount, I'll be selling all of my gear as soon as possible, before it loses too much monetary value.

But I'm optimistic and I don't think Pentax is giving up on DSLRs or the K-mount. I just think that their current strategy doesn't mesh well with the impatience of their more rabid fans. Like myself.


01-10-2012, 03:51 PM   #152
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 5,801
43 Rumors | Blog | (FT5) Super Olympus announcement on Feb 8th! Pro camera + new line of products!

Even though Olympus is in total meltdown they are still sending out invitations for a Feb 8th announcement for their new Pro - mirrorless body.
01-10-2012, 04:04 PM   #153
Inactive Account




Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 95
QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
I don't want to sound cheeky, but I always wonder about this approach. As much as I understand the monetary value of technical tools I fail to see them as beeing a smart way of investment or even reserve. Either you are a pro and use the equipment that brings you a ROI in a foreseeable time or you are a hobbyist, which spents money on his hobby, like with motorbikes, stereo equipment, sailing or whatever. I don't want to judge anyones point of view, but in my opinion this "inevestment" argument is an excuse, to whomever That's why I'm with the people who insist on seeing their choice of TOOLS still at least as valuable as it was at the time of the purchase, I suspect they had a reason and need to buy it.
If other companies might come out with new things, how should this influence the capabilities of your equipment from the potographers point of view? It might from a collectors or even investors, but, nevertheless, I would expect to find mainly the first type in a photoforum... I might be completely off, though...
My friend, DSLR did indeed change the market. Back in the SLR days, lenses were even more of an investment, and their valued either stayed the same or went up slowly as long as they were well cared for. But as time has gone on, and the Pentax K mount has been prevelant now for over 30 years, the value of older lenses has declined more so than ever before as the DA lenses have come onto the line, and the full frame lenses of the 35mm prove to be not quite as great with a DSLR as they were with film. In other words, when DSLR was released (and they are not full frame), older lenses wern't as optimal for these cameras as they were for their 35mm counterparts (which were full frame)... and as such, the values of older lenses has dropped off as the DA series lense has come essentially in it's place.

Remember: With K mount, almost every lense is useful... and unfortunetly, some lenses are more useful than others. This impacts their value. You'll find that this trend works foward as well. Should a full frame DSLR be released, the value of non-full framed DA lenses would probably sink over time as the full frame DSLR's take over.
01-10-2012, 04:07 PM   #154
Pentaxian
Edgar_in_Indy's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Indiana, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,636
QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
I don't want to sound cheeky, but I always wonder about this approach. As much as I understand the monetary value of technical tools I fail to see them as beeing a smart way of investment or even reserve.
I'm afraid you've got it backwards. I don't buy lenses as an investment or even as a place to store cash. I buy them to take pictures, because I love photography. The fact that they hold their value so well just makes it easier to justify my expenditures to myself, and more importantly, my wife.

That's one of the great things about this hobby. Because there are a lot of hobbies where you're not going to get a big part of your money back when you choose (or are forced) to sell. I have friends who modify cars and motorcycles, and they usually take a massive hit when they decide to move on to another vehicle.

Photography lighting and strobes also hold their value very well, so I've got several of those as well.

01-10-2012, 04:07 PM   #155
Pentaxian




Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Madison, Wis., USA
Posts: 1,510
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Second time I've read Adam make this statement in a post over the last few days. Once I can attribute to enthusiasm. But twice . . .

Well, if all you gentlemen in this thread want to get out of your lenses (at a distress-sale discount) before the bottom REALLY falls out, I still have some space on my shelves . . .
And I'll catch the overflow!
01-10-2012, 04:09 PM - 1 Like   #156
Pentaxian




Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Madison, Wis., USA
Posts: 1,510
And Adam's wink-wink, nudge-nudge is getting me jumpy. It's as if he's channeling Ogl.
01-10-2012, 04:09 PM   #157
Inactive Account




Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 95
Count me in! I could always use more good lenses!
01-10-2012, 04:14 PM   #158
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: North
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,921
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Second time I've read Adam make this statement in a post over the last few days. Once I can attribute to enthusiasm. But twice . . .

Well, if all you gentlemen in this thread want to get out of your lenses (at a distress-sale discount) before the bottom REALLY falls out, I still have some space on my shelves . . .


I think that is at least the 3rd time.

I did hear of a mirror less k mount (just k no shorter flange distance) from a friend who I consider quite in the know. Just hoping what he mentioned will be true.

By Adam's comment a few posts above, he may even have seen a new road map.

01-10-2012, 04:22 PM   #159
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: North
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,921
QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
I'm afraid you've got it backwards. I don't buy lenses as an investment or even as a place to store cash. I buy them to take pictures, because I love photography. The fact that they hold their value so well just makes it easier to justify my expenditures to myself, and more importantly, my wife.

That's one of the great things about this hobby. Because there are a lot of hobbies where you're not going to get a big part of your money back when you choose (or are forced) to sell. I have friends who modify cars and motorcycles, and they usually take a massive hit when they decide to move on to another vehicle.

Photography lighting and strobes also hold their value very well, so I've got several of those as well.

All men's hobbies are expensive and usually low ROI.
My bicycles and related equipment easily costs as much as my whole collection of Pentax stuff with even worse re sale price, when I consider upgrading to the latest ones, though the upgrade that really would have made any difference would be the engine (ie. Me)

I didn't own a car, so I guess I sit on my Pentax stuff until they break down.
They are riduculously priced here anyway, at more than 3x the cost and a need for a certificate of entitlement.


The mirror less stuff from all brands is a good thing. If I discount the use of AF, they sort of become platforms for k-mount and there is less worry the lenses will ever be really obsolete.


However, I do understand your sentiment totally and agree somewhat.

Last edited by pinholecam; 01-10-2012 at 05:03 PM.
01-10-2012, 04:24 PM   #160
Senior Member
MMVIII's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: EU
Posts: 242
QuoteOriginally posted by ScreamingIdiot Quote
My friend, DSLR did indeed change the market. ...
QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
I'm afraid you've got it backwards.
Just to get back from OT, I do understand your point, I do love my MX with it's 1,7 50 and appreciate the backwards compatibility of newer equipment, but still I fail to see the fear many are exposing here, of their "investment" being degraded if the photography company of their choice would go this or that way. If this would really be an existentialistic problem for someone he should reconsider his position.
For me it's just a matter of balancing things, and postings about the horror of the "abandonment" of K-Mount and so on, even if all signs seem to indicate the opposite, seem vastly overstated.

But agree, your limiteds can also always find a fine new home in my house

Last edited by MMVIII; 01-10-2012 at 04:29 PM.
01-10-2012, 05:34 PM   #161
Site Supporter
Clinton's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,826
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
They won't get rid of the K-mount, that's for sure. All I'm going to say
Wait? What? Are you sure?
01-10-2012, 05:58 PM   #162
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Noosa, Queesnland
Photos: Albums
Posts: 199
Pentax Booth is tiny - jus 2x the size of BlackRapid...

And this is their meeting room:


If the gallery embed didn't work, try this link:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/album.php?albumid=4369&pictureid=36437
01-10-2012, 06:28 PM   #163
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2010
Photos: Albums
Posts: 201
LOL thats pretty sad....
01-10-2012, 06:33 PM   #164
Veteran Member
Roob-N-Boots's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Palm Springs CA
Posts: 386
QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
One of the reasons I don't mind spending my hard earned (and all too scarce) money on lenses is because I know I'll be able to get almost what I paid for them when I decide to sell them...if not more.
I'm with you on that one!
01-10-2012, 06:41 PM   #165
Pentaxian
ducdao's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Montreal/Vermont
Posts: 2,160
QuoteOriginally posted by Katsura Quote
Pentax Booth is tiny - jus 2x the size of BlackRapid...

And this is their meeting room:


If the gallery embed didn't work, try this link:
Pentax @ CES :( - Katsura's Album: Misc - PentaxForums.com
LOL, I'm sure someone could take that image and remove the left arrow from the Toilet sign
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
ces, pentax news, pentax rumors
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax Expected at Las Vegas CES January 6-9 2011 bobell69 Pentax News and Rumors 26 01-12-2011 02:19 PM
Where is the Pentax news from CES 2010? KungPOW Pentax News and Rumors 29 01-19-2010 11:31 AM
Pentax at Jan 7th 2010 CES ? Samsungian Pentax News and Rumors 34 01-08-2010 03:58 PM
CES 2010 Predictions (DSLR video) jogiba Video and Pentax HDSLRs 2 01-01-2010 01:38 PM
CES in Vegas Jesus Pentax News and Rumors 25 01-09-2008 08:28 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:25 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top