Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2012, 10:14 AM   #31
Forum Member

Im kind of want Pentax to make something like the new sony nex-7. Nice small body APS or bigger chip, weather proof, Pentax SR, 5 frims of bracketing,mirrorless. I could put my 40m pancake Limited on it, fit right in the coat pocket. NICE.

I do like the Q but don't really want to spend the money on one. Money would be better spend on a new lens for my K5, but a new small APS or Bigger chip body? maybe I would spend some money on that. I really like the nex-7

01-08-2012, 01:10 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Fuji X-pro 1. To me this year's CES is about this camera. They are going to hit a home run. Sorry, getting off the topic here, but I had to say it. This kind of approach is what Pentax need, no?
01-08-2012, 02:28 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
Fuji X-pro 1. To me this year's CES is about this camera. They are going to hit a home run. Sorry, getting off the topic here, but I had to say it. This kind of approach is what Pentax need, no?
I agree, but I do wonder how 2011 went sales-wise for Fuji since last years PhotoKina was all about X100. Does that have an effect on brand marketshare?
01-08-2012, 03:34 PM   #34

i dont deny that its a nice camera but realistically its got a limited lens line up and that has to be a huge part of any informed buy into a interchangeble lens camera system, other than the retro styling for example what would attract buyers to this camera over the sony nex line - i dont see it having a huge effect on dslr camera sales, so i'm gonna oogle then move on and wait for some new lenses for k mount and maybe a new kick ass body

01-08-2012, 03:39 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Another very interesting option after the NEX-7. Very much what Pentax should've done already. And what is Pentax doing - hopefully we'll see sooner than later.
01-08-2012, 04:10 PM   #36
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Unfortunately, I think you are right about this and its going to be the highlight of the show.
Lens lineup is pretty good as well. Much more enthusiast orientated with its range of primes, and very good up to portrait focal length on APS-C.

I have my money saved for this one this year unless Pentax comes up with something.
Hopefully its not going to be total silence from Ricoh/Pentax again (w/o even an announcement).
01-08-2012, 04:27 PM   #37
Veteran Member

I have to agree. The Fuji X Pro 1 seems like a home run for now. If the 35/1.4 is anygood it will sell like hotcakes.

I really like my Pentax pancake Limiteds (have the 40 and the 70), but this thing is smaller than the K5 and has 2 fast primes that are not large coming out with it. It scratches an itch.

Last edited by dankoBanana; 01-08-2012 at 04:33 PM.
01-08-2012, 09:40 PM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I agree, but I do wonder how 2011 went sales-wise for Fuji since last years PhotoKina was all about X100. Does that have an effect on brand marketshare?
I'm not sure if Fuji was able to move the needle on market share, but I know they sold all they could make for most of the year. All Fuji wants is to sell all they can make at the price that they want to charge, and I think they can do that.

With an M-mount adapter and (assuming good MF ability) a fast/accurate AF it could be a huge hit for Fuji. Fuji had developed a name for themselves among the wedding crowd before their DSLR program was canned. The X100 has put them back in the minds of serious enthusiasts and working professionals. The X-Pro should be better (2nd gen hybrid VF, 2nd gen AF, better sensor) and offer some serious Fuji glass. Fuji's professional grade glass is as good as any.

Fuji's claims that the sensor is better than the D3s (any current FF DSLR) is a pretty bold statement, but if close to being true then it will be a huge success.

I think it is the most interesting camera to hit the market in the last 6 months and probably the most interesting we will see all year.

How Fuji builds on the new X-mount will determine it future. A true EVF body will open doors to a lot more lens options, and once the mount is established we could see 3 different bodies for the mount. I think it might be a good system to buy into. The first three lenses offered are very appealing (assuming they are as good as expected).

01-08-2012, 10:54 PM   #39
Inactive Account

Everyone is excited about Fuji, sure... but no one knows what Pentax is doing. I for one think Pentax might be out to rain on Fuji's parade this week.
01-08-2012, 11:46 PM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax doesn't know what Pentax is doing, so how can we. When was the last time Pentax rained on anyones parade.
01-08-2012, 11:48 PM   #41
Inactive Account

K-5 certanly rained on quite a few parades. I get the feeling Pentax knows exactly what they are doing. Have a little faith that a surprise might be in store.
01-08-2012, 11:56 PM   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ScreamingIdiot Quote
K-5 certanly rained on quite a few parades. I get the feeling Pentax knows exactly what they are doing. Have a little faith that a surprise might be in store.
I'd be very very surprised to see a high end Pentax MILC or FF DSLR announced at CES since there has been so few and vague rumors.
01-09-2012, 12:09 AM   #43
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
I'd be very very surprised to see a high end Pentax MILC or FF DSLR announced at CES since there has been so few and vague rumors.
Rumors are rumors... but Pentax sticks by it's loyal fans. They will deliver the best they can deliver. Anything better than K-r is an improvement. Anything better than K-5 is an improvement. So WHAT if Fuji has this, or Nikon does that, or Canon does that. The question is: Does Pentax give you what you need? So far, it has for me. I'm not saying that Fuji hasn't earned a big respect for it's new camera. I'm only saying that we don't know what Pentax has up it's sleve yet. I'm not jumping ship until I know what Pentax will do next.
01-09-2012, 12:17 AM   #44
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by trublubiker Quote
Interesting to see the following Pentax 'Brands' mentioned in the preview for CES 2012.

Here is the link: 2012 CES: Exhibitor Directory - PENTAX RICOH IMAGING AMERICAS CORPORATION

Dare we hope for a 'K' mount lens map?
To me the "acceptable minimum" which would calm any disruption fears, would be new lenses both for 645 and K mounts.
I don't think making public roadmaps is any good idea.
01-09-2012, 12:53 AM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
Another very interesting option after the NEX-7. Very much what Pentax should've done already. And what is Pentax doing - hopefully we'll see sooner than later.
I have to say I am intrigued by this camera. I can see myself selling my FA limiteds (31 and 77) to get this, although probably not because, you know, I recently got into M8. All I see in the future is number 9 . . . . .