Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2012, 04:03 PM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
The Samsung presentation livestream just ended: TV, P&S camera, tablet, laptop. Not a word of the long awaited NX20! What the heck? Perhaps they found out about the Fuji announcement in the same segment beforehand and decided to cancel, postpone, redesign, whatever?
I can't figure Samsung's strategy out, it's like they can't get out of their own way. Of course, the same thing could have been said about Fuji and Sony not too long ago.

01-09-2012, 04:13 PM   #77

Photos: Gallery
On a lark I did a search for the official press release schedule:

2012 CES: Exhibitor Press Event Schedule

No Pentax. So they could do one 'blind' i.e. not at a press event, but that would appear to be counter to their stated goal of taking on the big boys.

Or, like the D4, which was announced quite late at night, they might not want to answer a pile of press questions if they don't have a physical unit to show, and don't want to answer a bunch of questions they can't answer. Either way, if they don't announce ''soon" they will continue to be seen as an irrelevant afterthought.

Can anyone at the show verify if they have the balls to be showing discontinued k-mount bodies (k-r, k-5)? Pretty lame.
01-09-2012, 04:48 PM   #78
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by noser Quote
On a lark I did a search for the official press release schedule:

2012 CES: Exhibitor Press Event Schedule

No Pentax. So they could do one 'blind' i.e. not at a press event, but that would appear to be counter to their stated goal of taking on the big boys.
Nothing by Ricoh either on that page.
01-09-2012, 04:54 PM   #79
Veteran Member

Am I missing it or are there only press conferences for Fuji, Sony, and Panasonic as far as camera makers go on that list? (Fuji, Sony, and Panasonic also have other items to show besides cameras, by the way. It is a consumer electronics show)

I wouldn't put it past Pentax/Ricoh not to announce anything, as they have done it before and it may be too soon to let us know what they've got going. But I wouldn't read too much into the press conference schedule.

01-09-2012, 05:00 PM   #80
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
that will make a huge difference. I would bet the M mountor tripled GXR sales (mostly to film Leica users who wanted an inexpensive Digital option)

I think $200 with the 35 1.4 is the smart start price.

the pending leica is the one too watch in this case (knowing Leica though it will cost twice as much and have less features)
I think you meant $2000 right?
01-09-2012, 05:02 PM   #81

QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
Nothing by Ricoh either on that page.
LOL!

As for assigning meaning - it could be that Canon/Nikon are 'big' enough to not require a press event, while the other players felt the need - some have had a lot of P&S releases. So perhaps Pentax (errr... Ricoh) thinks they are are a big enough name to just do a wire release. I think they are, but I'm biased
01-09-2012, 05:24 PM   #82
Site Supporter

Here is where they are at the CES 2012 CES: Exhibitor Directory - PENTAX RICOH IMAGING AMERICAS CORPORATION

randy
01-09-2012, 05:43 PM   #83
Loyal Site Supporter

Sony and Panasonic are going to be at the CES because they are consumer electronics companies. Might as well make announcements while the other camera companies are away. What happened to Samsung? They are a CES company, but nothing of any importance. Canon did give us another high end P&S with the G1X or whatever it is called.

Olympus is in turmoil.
Pentax is stagnate.
Nikon is doing what they have always done.
Canon is doing what they have always done.
Sony being Sony and I'm not sure if that is good or bad...... and neither is Sony. They make good sensors though.
Samsung is apparently a year behind everyone on AF and image processing technology. Still no NX-20... back the the drawing board.
Panasonic is doing pretty well with its new GX1
Fuji appears to actually be listening to customers. We will have to see how it actually performs, but the X-Pro 1 made a big splash. Is it too late to hand out Camera of the Year Awards for 2012? Fuji might have set the bar pretty high....... If performance lives up to hype and expectations.

01-09-2012, 06:34 PM   #84

.......day one and no news from pentax. Canon drops the g1x, (which seems little its going to be a sweet little p&s), fuji and the x-1 pro (also is awesome), and nikon has been teasing with d4 stuff for a week now. come on pentax, throw us a bone. lets see what tomorrow brings.
01-09-2012, 06:36 PM   #85
Veteran Member

From a USA Today article: The price hasn't been confirmed, but Fujifilm said in a press conference that they expect the body to cost about $1,700, with lenses around $650 each—those estimates could change before the end of the month, when the official price will be announced. It will begin shipping at the end of February.
01-09-2012, 06:50 PM   #86
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
How many more * X* 1 cameras coming ?
Fuji XPro1
Canon G1 X
Panasonic GX1
Leica X1
Fuji XS-1
Well there's the Canon 1DX.... Good thing the Nikon D4 has no X in it =))

How about Pentax.. err, LX D? K5X?
wait, LXD sounds..... like a drug or something O_o

But anyway, hopefully Ricoh comes up with something for Pentax
01-09-2012, 07:00 PM   #87
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Sony being Sony and I'm not sure if that is good or bad...... and neither is Sony. They make good sensors though.
As an ex-Alphaphile I couldn't let that one pass without a

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Fuji might have set the bar pretty high....... If performance lives up to hype and expectations.
Fuji needs to debug those first two X models before a lot of their faithful re-up - the blooming/orb X10 issue infuriated folks who spent plenty to get weird results. I have their F550, really happy with what's inside (though I paid far below their price for it) - but oh that lens, I'm tempted to put nail polish on it to see if I can outdo the original coating. As long as I consider the kaleidoscopic flares an always-on art filter, though, I'm OK.
01-09-2012, 07:33 PM   #88
Site Supporter

hunch

just a hunch, but I think that Pentax is going to go deeper into mirrorless as they can use this technology in both Q line and DSLR
After all, in order for a company to survive that have to make money, and using the same technololgy in both would make economic sense as well as being in the for front of the newest technology,
after them dropping a couple of DSLR models, it just got me thinking of the next move. A high end DSLR to compete with their own flagship 645D would not make the money in order to advance sales at this point.

just a hunch
01-09-2012, 07:43 PM   #89
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote

Pentax beat them to it with KX 2yrs ago
01-09-2012, 08:02 PM   #90
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
How many more * X* 1 cameras coming ?
Fuji XPro1
Canon G1 X
Panasonic GX1
Leica X1
Fuji XS-1