Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2012, 01:21 AM   #46
Forum Member

I use to have a fuji S2pro and love it with a Nikon 50mm it took good pics but what a battery pig. I just got to try out the X100 for the first time last month. I really liked the viewfinder I wouldn't give up my K5 for it but Iv always liked Fuji cameras I got my mother-in-law a Fuji a few years back, now she wants a new camera so I told her to stick to Fuji as she will find it easy to learn the menu.

It does kind of suck that Pentax doesn't run more adds on Tv or sends out more info on new stuff coming out. Just about everyone I know shots canon even my Bf was using the 5D but he sold it for a new Sony SF100 as he's more into video. The good news for me, we got an adapter for the SF100 so he can use my Pentax lens. now we'r not buying canon and Pentax in the house saves us money for more Pentax lens. However I really do like the nex-7 but after paying a lot for the adapter there is no way he will let me go to sony just yet. I hope that Pentax comes out with something like the nex7 I really do. For now Im very very happy with my K5 and have to decide what new lens I can talk my Bf into buying himself heheheh me

01-09-2012, 10:30 AM - 1 Like   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ScreamingIdiot Quote
Rumors are rumors... but Pentax sticks by it's loyal fans. They will deliver the best they can deliver. Anything better than K-r is an improvement. Anything better than K-5 is an improvement. So WHAT if Fuji has this, or Nikon does that, or Canon does that. The question is: Does Pentax give you what you need? So far, it has for me. I'm not saying that Fuji hasn't earned a big respect for it's new camera. I'm only saying that we don't know what Pentax has up it's sleve yet. I'm not jumping ship until I know what Pentax will do next.
Nobody has jumped ship yet. There is no indication that Pentax has anything other than a K-r replacement ready to go. While a new entry level camera is nice, it is nothing more than the standard product update for this segment.

What excites people is that Fuji is putting a serious enthusiast camera on the market with 3 serious lenses. No slow plastic 35mm lenses. No gimmicks with 50 colors, no apparent sacrifices for quality or ability. It looks like a serious camera, not something to put on your key chain or something that looks like it was built from Legos.

Until we see the actual performance and IQ of the X-Pro 1 we won't know, but it is the best looking/spec'ed system to come out in a long time. I hope Pentax has more than just some new lenses for the Q ready to launch.
01-09-2012, 10:37 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Nobody has jumped ship yet. There is no indication that Pentax has anything other than a K-r replacement ready to go. While a new entry level camera is nice, it is nothing more than the standard product update for this segment.

What excites people is that Fuji is putting a serious enthusiast camera on the market with 3 serious lenses. No slow plastic 35mm lenses. No gimmicks with 50 colors, no apparent sacrifices for quality or ability. It looks like a serious camera, not something to put on your key chain or something that looks like it was built from Legos.

Until we see the actual performance and IQ of the X-Pro 1 we won't know, but it is the best looking/spec'ed system to come out in a long time. I hope Pentax has more than just some new lenses for the Q ready to launch.
While I too am excited by the Fuji at the price it's rumoured to be ($3300 with the 3 lenses and $2200 with just the 35) it's not targeted as mainstream by any stretch. I would bet they sell as many or more even than they target but the target will not be numbers that rival even the K5. Add to that the fact that Pentax has never been an RF manufacturer (but Fuji has made many) and something in this style is highly unlikely from them. I wouldn't be surprised to see an upgraded variant on the GXR Pentax branded with a FF mountor and plans for a 645 mountor before they ever make an RF. not a big deal I will save for that Fuji and get from Pentax my SLR needs.
First I will likely consider one of the used X100s that is likely to come to market to fund the x pro 1 purchase (since it will take me quite some time to save even the $2200 or so for the pro and the more i think about it the less i'm willing to part with my medium format kit to fund it)
01-09-2012, 11:23 AM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
While I too am excited by the Fuji at the price it's rumoured to be ($3300 with the 3 lenses and $2200 with just the 35) it's not targeted as mainstream by any stretch. I would bet they sell as many or more even than they target but the target will not be numbers that rival even the K5. Add to that the fact that Pentax has never been an RF manufacturer (but Fuji has made many) and something in this style is highly unlikely from them. I wouldn't be surprised to see an upgraded variant on the GXR Pentax branded with a FF mountor and plans for a 645 mountor before they ever make an RF. not a big deal I will save for that Fuji and get from Pentax my SLR needs.
First I will likely consider one of the used X100s that is likely to come to market to fund the x pro 1 purchase (since it will take me quite some time to save even the $2200 or so for the pro and the more i think about it the less i'm willing to part with my medium format kit to fund it)
There is still no confirmed pricing. Amazon took it back off-line. Mirrorless rumors still insists that it will be $1,299 for body and 35mm lens which makes it a really good deal. Probably too good to be true.

An MX styled FF EVIL would not be a RF camera and would not be a huge challenge for Pentax. Just because they don't have a history RF does not matter much. They did not have a history of digital cameras either until they built one.

01-09-2012, 11:25 AM   #50
Veteran Member

Is there a particular time during the CES when to expect news from Ricoh/Pentax? Provided there will be any.
01-09-2012, 11:32 AM   #51
Veteran Member

I hear there is a new Q being announced that looks like it was made from Lego's. Very exciting time for Pentax users. A Hello Kitty version is in the works.
01-09-2012, 11:46 AM   #52
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't want to jump ship. Give me a replacement to the k-5 with better AF, give the FF crowd here a FF, and we're all golden. Lenses would be nice too, but I want that body first.

01-09-2012, 11:52 AM   #53
Veteran Member

There is still no confirmed pricing. Amazon took it back off-line. Mirrorless rumors still insists that it will be $1,299 for body and 35mm lens which makes it a really good deal. Probably too good to be true.

An MX styled FF EVIL would not be a RF camera and would not be a huge challenge for Pentax. Just because they don't have a history RF does not matter much. They did not have a history of digital cameras either until they built one.

x100 is 199 not a chance this will be 1299 with the 35. more likely would be 1599-1699 if ti's that low. still more than the average volume camera is for certain

edit =- no-one had a history with digital cameras lol, but if you look at what they have produced if they are a film era company they have mostly stuck with what they have done previously
01-09-2012, 12:04 PM   #54
Banned

Photos: Gallery
I hear there is a new Q being announced that looks like it was made from Lego's. Very exciting time for Pentax users. A Hello Kitty version is in the works.
That would be great. And Paris Hilton is walking into CES with the thingy in her hands
01-09-2012, 12:07 PM   #55
Veteran Member

x100 is 199 not a chance this will be 1299 with the 35. more likely would be 1599-1699 if ti's that low. still more than the average volume camera is for certain

edit =- no-one had a history with digital cameras lol, but if you look at what they have produced if they are a film era company they have mostly stuck with what they have done previously
B&H just lowered the price of the X100 (which includes a 23mm f/2 lens). After the announcement I think we will see X100 prices come down to the sub-$1,000 mark. Even it the X-Pro is $1,500 with 35mm lens it is a pretty good deal. The expectation is that this lens will be "pro" quality. How much is a 31mm Ltd? If the glass is comparable then it will still be a good deal. Fuji's glass is very, very good. I believe they are making all of the Hassy glass now.

I think Pentax needs to do more that what they have done previously if they want to get better results. Again.... an MX EVIL would not be out of character for Pentax.
01-09-2012, 12:09 PM   #56
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
While I too am excited by the Fuji at the price it's rumoured to be ($3300 with the 3 lenses and $2200 with just the 35) it's not targeted as mainstream by any stretch.
Why would you give a sh*t about it being mainstream or not ?
I don't buy a cam because it is mainstream. And I don't think you do. At least I hope.
01-09-2012, 12:12 PM   #57
Veteran Member

an mx/lx evilish unit - personally i think they can make an mx style while supporting OVF (and they seem to think the cameras can be smaller still in dslr format) if it's just styled like an mx but crippled with an EVF which no matter how good still can't touch an OVF then i'm less than interested
EVF with the ability to see a scene the way even my old eyes do is at the moment miles away. the beauty of the Fuji is the fact that it has both OVF and EVF.
01-09-2012, 12:17 PM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Why would you give a sh*t about it being mainstream or not ?
I don't buy a cam because it is mainstream. And I don't think you do. At least I hope.
it was in response to a comment about how much it has driven fuji market - nothing to do with whether other people like it or not. Hell if I cared i wouldn't have a Pentax for that matter or my Bronica or my feds or actually any of the 13 cameras I own none of which are canikon sony

thinking it will be a massive seller is optimistic. It will be a big seller for what it is a high quality compact ILC . It will outsell the D$ (and the 1Dwhatever) though the D800 5dmIII may outsell it. certainly the top level apsc dslrs including the K5 replacement will outsell it.
I still want the damn thing though (just need to plan that bank robbery)
01-09-2012, 12:55 PM   #59
Veteran Member

If the X1 Pro sells at that $1500-1600 range without a lens, $2,000+ with a lens, it will be essentially in the Canon 7D Prosumer range but cater to a completely different group of shooters. So it will have its own niche as a prestige faux digital rangefinder, and I think it will do very well in that niche.

I would think the X1's main competitors will be the already very good offerings from Sony (NEX-7) and the Samsung NX-20 that is expected to be announced soon. Both large sensor cameras at lower prices, with Samsung you have the primes ready to go with it as well. Then you have a level below with the Panasonic and Olympus m4/3 cameras, plus the NEX-5n. Plus Nikon's V1, and whatever Pentax and Leica come up with for this segment. It's getting more crowded for sure.

Speaking of Leica, it remains to be seen if Leica users will be able to mount their precious M-mount lenses on the Fuji, I think that could make a big difference in sales.
01-09-2012, 12:59 PM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
Speaking of Leica, it remains to be seen if Leica users will be able to mount their precious M-mount lenses on the Fuji, I think that could make a big difference in sales.
that will make a huge difference. I would bet the M mountor tripled GXR sales (mostly to film Leica users who wanted an inexpensive Digital option)

I think $200 with the 35 1.4 is the smart start price.

the pending leica is the one too watch in this case (knowing Leica though it will cost twice as much and have less features)