Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2012, 04:04 PM   #151
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
I don't want to sound cheeky, but I always wonder about this approach. As much as I understand the monetary value of technical tools I fail to see them as beeing a smart way of investment or even reserve. Either you are a pro and use the equipment that brings you a ROI in a foreseeable time or you are a hobbyist, which spents money on his hobby, like with motorbikes, stereo equipment, sailing or whatever. I don't want to judge anyones point of view, but in my opinion this "inevestment" argument is an excuse, to whomever That's why I'm with the people who insist on seeing their choice of TOOLS still at least as valuable as it was at the time of the purchase, I suspect they had a reason and need to buy it.
If other companies might come out with new things, how should this influence the capabilities of your equipment from the potographers point of view? It might from a collectors or even investors, but, nevertheless, I would expect to find mainly the first type in a photoforum... I might be completely off, though...
My friend, DSLR did indeed change the market. Back in the SLR days, lenses were even more of an investment, and their valued either stayed the same or went up slowly as long as they were well cared for. But as time has gone on, and the Pentax K mount has been prevelant now for over 30 years, the value of older lenses has declined more so than ever before as the DA lenses have come onto the line, and the full frame lenses of the 35mm prove to be not quite as great with a DSLR as they were with film. In other words, when DSLR was released (and they are not full frame), older lenses wern't as optimal for these cameras as they were for their 35mm counterparts (which were full frame)... and as such, the values of older lenses has dropped off as the DA series lense has come essentially in it's place.

Remember: With K mount, almost every lense is useful... and unfortunetly, some lenses are more useful than others. This impacts their value. You'll find that this trend works foward as well. Should a full frame DSLR be released, the value of non-full framed DA lenses would probably sink over time as the full frame DSLR's take over.

01-10-2012, 04:07 PM   #152
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
I don't want to sound cheeky, but I always wonder about this approach. As much as I understand the monetary value of technical tools I fail to see them as beeing a smart way of investment or even reserve.
I'm afraid you've got it backwards. I don't buy lenses as an investment or even as a place to store cash. I buy them to take pictures, because I love photography. The fact that they hold their value so well just makes it easier to justify my expenditures to myself, and more importantly, my wife.

That's one of the great things about this hobby. Because there are a lot of hobbies where you're not going to get a big part of your money back when you choose (or are forced) to sell. I have friends who modify cars and motorcycles, and they usually take a massive hit when they decide to move on to another vehicle.

Photography lighting and strobes also hold their value very well, so I've got several of those as well.
01-10-2012, 04:07 PM   #153
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Second time I've read Adam make this statement in a post over the last few days. Once I can attribute to enthusiasm. But twice . . .

Well, if all you gentlemen in this thread want to get out of your lenses (at a distress-sale discount) before the bottom REALLY falls out, I still have some space on my shelves . . .
And I'll catch the overflow!
01-10-2012, 04:09 PM - 1 Like   #154
Veteran Member

And Adam's wink-wink, nudge-nudge is getting me jumpy. It's as if he's channeling Ogl.

01-10-2012, 04:09 PM   #155
Inactive Account

Count me in! I could always use more good lenses!
01-10-2012, 04:14 PM   #156
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Second time I've read Adam make this statement in a post over the last few days. Once I can attribute to enthusiasm. But twice . . .

Well, if all you gentlemen in this thread want to get out of your lenses (at a distress-sale discount) before the bottom REALLY falls out, I still have some space on my shelves . . .

I think that is at least the 3rd time.

I did hear of a mirror less k mount (just k no shorter flange distance) from a friend who I consider quite in the know. Just hoping what he mentioned will be true.

By Adam's comment a few posts above, he may even have seen a new road map.
01-10-2012, 04:22 PM   #157
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
I'm afraid you've got it backwards. I don't buy lenses as an investment or even as a place to store cash. I buy them to take pictures, because I love photography. The fact that they hold their value so well just makes it easier to justify my expenditures to myself, and more importantly, my wife.

That's one of the great things about this hobby. Because there are a lot of hobbies where you're not going to get a big part of your money back when you choose (or are forced) to sell. I have friends who modify cars and motorcycles, and they usually take a massive hit when they decide to move on to another vehicle.

Photography lighting and strobes also hold their value very well, so I've got several of those as well.

All men's hobbies are expensive and usually low ROI.
My bicycles and related equipment easily costs as much as my whole collection of Pentax stuff with even worse re sale price, when I consider upgrading to the latest ones, though the upgrade that really would have made any difference would be the engine (ie. Me)

I didn't own a car, so I guess I sit on my Pentax stuff until they break down.
They are riduculously priced here anyway, at more than 3x the cost and a need for a certificate of entitlement.

The mirror less stuff from all brands is a good thing. If I discount the use of AF, they sort of become platforms for k-mount and there is less worry the lenses will ever be really obsolete.

However, I do understand your sentiment totally and agree somewhat.

Last edited by pinholecam; 01-10-2012 at 05:03 PM.
01-10-2012, 04:24 PM   #158
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ScreamingIdiot Quote
My friend, DSLR did indeed change the market. ...
I'm afraid you've got it backwards.
Just to get back from OT, I do understand your point, I do love my MX with it's 1,7 50 and appreciate the backwards compatibility of newer equipment, but still I fail to see the fear many are exposing here, of their "investment" being degraded if the photography company of their choice would go this or that way. If this would really be an existentialistic problem for someone he should reconsider his position.
For me it's just a matter of balancing things, and postings about the horror of the "abandonment" of K-Mount and so on, even if all signs seem to indicate the opposite, seem vastly overstated.

But agree, your limiteds can also always find a fine new home in my house

Last edited by MMVIII; 01-10-2012 at 04:29 PM.
01-10-2012, 05:34 PM   #159
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
They won't get rid of the K-mount, that's for sure. All I'm going to say
Wait? What? Are you sure?
01-10-2012, 05:58 PM   #160

Photos: Albums
Pentax Booth is tiny - jus 2x the size of BlackRapid...

And this is their meeting room:

If the gallery embed didn't work, try this link:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/album.php?albumid=4369&pictureid=36437
01-10-2012, 06:28 PM   #161

Photos: Albums
LOL thats pretty sad....
01-10-2012, 06:33 PM   #162
Veteran Member

One of the reasons I don't mind spending my hard earned (and all too scarce) money on lenses is because I know I'll be able to get almost what I paid for them when I decide to sell them...if not more.
I'm with you on that one!
01-10-2012, 06:41 PM   #163
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Katsura Quote

Pentax @ CES :( - Katsura's Album: Misc - PentaxForums.com
LOL, I'm sure someone could take that image and remove the left arrow from the Toilet sign
01-10-2012, 07:01 PM   #164
Veteran Member

Is that really the boiler room? Steel door, steel frame, heavily protected steel locking mechanism.

Oh, wait! That's the high-security door behind which lies nirvana!
01-10-2012, 07:04 PM   #165
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Katsura Quote

Pentax @ CES :( - Katsura's Album: Misc - PentaxForums.com
It's almost like they're saying "This way out" LOL

PS: That door mat is an interesting touch too.. Are we really meant to wipe our feet on Pentax?

Last edited by bossa; 01-10-2012 at 09:47 PM.