Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2012, 03:26 AM   #181
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mehlsack Quote
...But i dont think that they will show anything more there...
I agree, today's opening to the public day.

There won't be any presentation, either from Pentax nor Ricoh.

And i doubt they would get any further consideration in making some kind of aloof anouncement.

01-11-2012, 03:32 AM   #182
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
BrendanPK is there providing live coverage for our news site and just reported spotting something at the Pentax booth that was quickly hidden behind a back. It looked rugged and mirrorless maybe and might have been sporting what looked to be a kmout pancake or limited lens.
Hey, I think I figured this out. They managed to grab a Fuji X1 Pro prototype and no wonder don't want anybody to see it!

Last edited by Raffwal; 01-11-2012 at 04:01 AM.
01-11-2012, 03:36 AM   #183

I'm not interested in any new interview, i want to see something happen, even if it is only a statement like " we need another year, but than it will be awesome!" .
I just hate dont knowing anything....

And iam not interested in another stupid pseudo "ultra" mini mirrorless, absurdly expensive, "cool" camera just becaust it hase a K-Mount, dont know what i should do with something like a NEx5 + DA*300 WTF?!
01-11-2012, 04:54 AM   #184
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Couscousdelight Quote
2012 is the anniversary of the first Pentax DSLR ; 60 Y.O.
If i was a Pentax marketing guy, i will try to remind people than they are the first of the big japanese camera companies to adopt that system. To remind people how innovative is (was ?) that brand.
Ooh, I want me one of those 1952 *IST-DS cameras!

01-11-2012, 05:03 AM   #185
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
But i dont think that they will show anything more there
No, I guess we'll have to endure another four weeks of "I'm outta here! Pentax is doomed!" until CP+ - I would be really surprised if they don't announce anything there (or before).
01-11-2012, 05:11 AM   #186

exactly the same thing has been said before CES
01-11-2012, 05:20 AM   #187
Pentaxian

exactly the same thing has been said before CES
Yes, but (disregarding that someone might have insider info ) that was based on previous experience, and this year's CES is different, since it includes PMA.

01-11-2012, 05:50 AM   #188
Veteran Member

Normally announcement are done on the opening day or before, otherwise it does not make sense. This mean nothing will be announced 100 %
01-11-2012, 06:20 AM   #189
Veteran Member

not even a K-Moun GXR Module?
01-11-2012, 06:40 AM   #190
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Couscousdelight Quote
2012 is the anniversary of the first Pentax DSLR ; 60 Y.O.
If i was a Pentax marketing guy, i will try to remind people than they are the first of the big japanese camera companies to adopt that system. To remind people how innovative is (was ?) that brand.

This is a good chance for a really cool camera launch. but I would bet on any really significant models being a September announcement. Photokina is really where the big announcements usually come from everyone. PMA has been a struggling show for years. CES has usually been about P?s (and still is looking at the vast majority of announcements) CP= is where the 645D was announced. I expect some new stuff at CP+ and the really big stuff at Photokina Ricoh has only owned Pentax since October so their imprint won't show in any serious way this early.
Hoya likely didn't invest a lot in R&D once the sale was confirmed. That and all the natural disaster issues impacts release dates.

One thing I am certain of is K mount is going to be around for a good while yet. I'm with Adam here.

I am interested to see what this rugged camera is (it sure isn't the GXR m mountor )
01-11-2012, 06:44 AM   #191
Inactive Account

I'm just begging for a K-r replacement launch is all...

I DON'T ASK FOR MUCH

Last edited by ScreamingIdiot; 01-11-2012 at 06:45 AM. Reason: lol
01-11-2012, 07:06 AM   #192
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
Normally announcement are done on the opening day or before, otherwise it does not make sense. This mean nothing will be announced 100 %

PMA@CES would have been a great way of making inital impressions and building excitement of the new Pentax under Ricoh ownership. All that would have been needed was a K-r replacement being announced or something under glass to show what they are thinking mid-term. Just something to show that there is some life in the PRIC. From the showing PRIC has at PMA@CES I am even more sure of holding off purchasing anything from PRIC until I see what direction they are going with the company. This is not the feeling a company wants to give their customers after a big show.

Still being a Pentaxian I have hope of seeing something at the next show, which is CP+ in a month. Still I will expect the stuff that is really Ricoh inspired to be shown at Photokina in the fall.

Dave
01-11-2012, 07:36 AM   #193
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveBlack Quote
PMA@CES would have been a great way of making inital impressions and building excitement of the new Pentax under Ricoh ownership. All that would have been needed was a K-r replacement being announced or something under glass to show what they are thinking mid-term. Just something to show that there is some life in the PRIC. From the showing PRIC has at PMA@CES I am even more sure of holding off purchasing anything from PRIC until I see what direction they are going with the company. This is not the feeling a company wants to give their customers after a big show.

Still being a Pentaxian I have hope of seeing something at the next show, which is CP+ in a month. Still I will expect the stuff that is really Ricoh inspired to be shown at Photokina in the fall.

Dave

thing is CES is not a big show for imaging by any stretch (usually all P/S and video Cameras) - it's more about TV and computers than anything else. PMA is trying to revitalize itself by partnering. CP+ and Photokina are the 2 big shows
Fuji has been big at CES for a long time in P/S and they used it for the X100 and now Xpro because it puts all the focus on them since little else important is coming out there
01-11-2012, 07:37 AM   #194
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Totally agree with above, its all about positive messages.
Also there is the P&S range which should have had new models announced which is definitly what this show is all about whether they are Ricoh or Pentax badged.
To be honest it may be wise to wait till 4th Feb and/or CP+ as the limelight is squarely on the Fuji for what I believe.
In terms of the stand at CES why not get a little bit creative with the space? Emphasis on the compact go anywhere nature of Pentax cameras. Flood the area with K5s, one with every current lens with shoot and try. Big award reproductions everywhere. Full size photos from a 645D, price comparision of lenses and bodies against "the leading competitor".
Comeon! It is the worlds biggest electronic show AND this year it is also PMA, its cheap advertising once you are there!!!
OK .... rant over!
01-11-2012, 07:47 AM - 1 Like   #195
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well, here's my two cents plain. I am an amateur, and am very unlikely to ever be more than that. I hope that I am getting to be a better amateur, but that's the best I can hope to be, or even want to be. I have two Pentax DSLRs, a K20D and a K10D. Both take excellent photos when I pay attention to what I am doing. I have a decent range of lenses for an amateur, I even have several Tamron Adaptalls to play with when I want to try and get fancy. So truthfully, what would I buy? I don't need to spend $2K+ for a better camera, the ones that I have are already better than I am. So what do I want from Pentax?

1) Stay in buisness. Produce quality products at a price that people will want to buy them at.

2) Appropriate support for products that you have already sold; appreciate the people who have bought and used your products and provide friendly, effective, and appropriate Customer Service to them.

3) Innovate where the innovation actually changes or moves a product ahead. No "me too" items, please. Reclaim the niche that you had for so many years.

4) Tempt me with your new ideas, I may well not buy them because as it stands, I'm a pretty happy camper. But I'll bet you that someone else will buy them if they are really good ideas.....

End of rant.

Happy and Prosperous New Year to Everyone!