Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 29 Likes Search this Thread
01-11-2012, 10:31 AM   #211
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by userage Quote
Lol has any body seen Canon and Sony's stands?

Pentax just looks irrelevant.:/

http://4.s.img-dpreview.com/files/articles/9444561455/DSC07394.jpg?v=1303
And that's something new?
Pentax wouldn't have enough products to fill such a stand. They don't seem to have new product for this show, anyway, so why paying for a large stand?

01-11-2012, 10:37 AM   #212
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mister Horrible Quote
Don't all cameras these days end with an X? Or at least have an x in them?
It's starting to seem like that. Of course, then there is pentaX...
01-11-2012, 10:40 AM   #213
mel
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mister Horrible Quote
Don't all cameras these days end with an X? Or at least have an x in them?
Right. Across the top of them you see CanoX, SonyX, NikoX They all have names that end in X.
01-11-2012, 10:50 AM   #214
Veteran Member

Well, the price for the new Nikon D4 just hit Adorama's page - $5999 for Nikon D4 DSLR Camera - Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL18 - Battery Charger MH-26 - USB Cable UC-E15 - Camera Strap AN-DC7 - Body Cap BF-1B - Accessory Shoe Cover BS-2 - Eyepiece DK-17 - Battery Chamber Cover BL-6 - USB Cable Clip - ViewNX 2 CD-ROM - Nikon 1 Year Warranty to arrive in late February.

01-11-2012, 10:51 AM   #215
Veteran Member

that's the price I expected. in 6 months there will be some good used D3's around
01-11-2012, 10:54 AM   #216

Hi guys
I have a K200d and was looking forward to purchase de K5, but this is not serious.
Seems to me the customers they loose won't come back if they purchase a D60 or one of those new Sony. Deleting products before annoncing new ones ; you want to sabotage a company that is how to do it...
I am on a wait and see attitude but now it is what ? half a year we are in limbo ? and Pentax release a new system ; Q in a allready crowded market. Anyway, i decided to canceled any lens / camera purchases until the end of spring, hopefully by that time will know if we have buried the brand or if they have a short, mid and long term plan....
01-11-2012, 11:07 AM   #217
Forum Member

Im getting the feeling the Q was or is the new camera from Pentax, and thats what we are getting for the next year or so. I just got myself a K to E mount adaptor so maybe a NEX is in my future but now I'v seen the new Fuji what a nice toy that would be to have, but just like the Q none of them are weather sealed. I buy Pentax for the SR and weather sealing but with all these really cool new cameras around Im so tempted to buy one and just keep the K5 for a rainy day. All tho thats almost everyday here on the north island lol.

01-11-2012, 11:09 AM   #218
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SOBK10D Quote
I thinking of heading to Sony. If they don't put something new out soon our lenses will be worth sh*t.
Known fact... Pentax lenses are worth nothing... Send them to me and I'll dispose of them safely!!
01-11-2012, 11:13 AM   #219
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
Known fact... Pentax lenses are worth nothing... Send them to me and I'll dispose of them safely!!
Or to me. I will be happy to give a 70-200 f2.8 AF a good, new home.
01-11-2012, 11:23 AM   #220
Veteran Member

I am always amazed by how people read things into a lack of communication. I spent a long time in the CE and Imaging retail world. As I've said previously CES is not a venue you get big news on the camera front aside from P&S (with the very odd exception) PMA has done nothing to change that (to their chagrin I'm sure)
CP+ next month and Phiotokina in September are the big shows. If you see nothing by then start worrying otherwise chill
CP+ will likely have the KR successor and maybe on other item and perhaps a lens roadmap if we are lucky. Photokina will see K5 replacement (maybe this will be CP+ too) and any really big announcements.
Sure the KR replacement should have been announced, but reality is there is a sensor shortage thanks to the floods last year and there have been very few new cameras from anyone since then. Add the fact that Ricoh only took possession in October and the lead time for product development and manufacturer of new models is more than 3 months. At best we would have seen a Hoya developed model come out, but I'm guessing Hoya reigned in R&D dollars once they knew they were divesting the camera division since they would get no return on investment.
I'm certain Ricoh has some pretty interesting things coming, and the delay may well have been long enough for ricoh to begin putting their imprint on things (like the statement that all future DSLR would have 100% VF which is something no other manufacturer does. )
01-11-2012, 11:33 AM   #221
Forum Member

This could be your usual merger chaos. Who is in charge, what product lines survive, etc… all that needs to be sorted out before a roadmap / products are advertised.

I am surprised there would be discontinued products without a replacement already announced. Usually you would let the distribution lines thin out and then make a new product announcement, then discontinue the product / provide incentives to clear inventories.

Only other thing I can “optimistically” rationalize is if you are having supply line issues outside of what is affecting the general market (you can bet Sony is going to keep what they can produce for themselves right now and that Nikon has better contracts in place) you’re not going to advertise that out to the general public, investors or competitors.

We shouldnt expect a DSLR at CES but we should be expecting Ricoh to be sensitive to perception during a merger and at least expect some assuring / product teasers in the next few weeks.

Last edited by robr7; 01-11-2012 at 11:40 AM.
01-11-2012, 11:37 AM   #222

QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
Right. Across the top of them you see CanoX, SonyX, NikoX They all have names that end in X.
Sony neX, Canon g1-X ...
01-11-2012, 11:45 AM   #223
Veteran Member

Who knows if there will even be a K-r replacement. That's just been board speculation based on a few rumors and the K-r being discontinued. Ricoh might want to go a completely different direction for their entry level cameras, such as mirrorless, like pretty much everyone else is doing.

Like I said, I understand the disappointment, since I was feeling pumped for CES like everyone else. But to expect Pricoh to come out with a Fuji X1Pro equivalent was just unrealistic. Much like the K-5 and K-m designs and technology spawned several successors, the X1 Pro project was based largely on the technology put into the Fuji X100 the year earlier, which itself was in development for more than a year. How could Ricoh have developed something of that scope in just three months?

I think what we are in right now as Pentax fans is an awkward transition phase that comes with new ownership. We want Ricoh to be ambitious, but ambitious projects take time to do right. We also want new products right now, but not blah products we find boring or uncompetitive (the Q). We want the top brass to tell us the truth about a future they may not know, but will be angry with them if they don't follow through on their promises.

It's just what it is. I'd look for more good news as the year goes on. If you can't wait that long, and see a product you want to buy instead, I'd suggest jumping for it and save yourself the agony Pricoh will lose some customers this year, but hopefully with the right decisions they'll gain more back.
01-11-2012, 11:51 AM   #224
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
OMG, that's cool - I always loved the Contax G rangefinder. Good to hear they are back
01-11-2012, 12:06 PM - 1 Like   #225

And more seriously, if Pentax did have a new camera to show at CES, why aren't they showing it?

Seriously, who brings a new camera to a trade show just to hide it behind his back? And why is no one else reporting having seen it?

My guess is that there is more than a little wishful thinking in this thread.