Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 29 Likes Search this Thread
01-11-2012, 03:55 PM   #241
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm beginning to think that this CES is going to be a waste of time for us to follow if we expect something new to be released that warrants this much interest. Doesn't appear to be anything coming forward. We would have heard of a Press Conference being called by now. Me thinks its time to move onto the next exhibition.

01-11-2012, 04:02 PM   #242
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by baker5 Quote
I'm still horrified that the new Pentax ricoh booth is simply pimping the Rioch GXR modular stuff... I hope there is more.

Is this the theme for the new company.. pimp their old 'stuff' under the Pentax name..?

Utubular link
2012 Int'l CES: PMA@CES - Pentax - YouTube
Give them some time - Japanese companies are not as agile as US companies. I believe that they must have spent the last few months playing with this GXR thingy and are now going to market with it under the Pentax banner. The DSLR and EVIL strategy should emerge this quarter or so.
01-11-2012, 04:29 PM   #243
Banned

Photos: Gallery
I'm still horrified that the new Pentax ricoh booth is simply pimping the Rioch GXR modular stuff... I hope there is more.

Is this the theme for the new company.. pimp their old 'stuff' under the Pentax name..?
Well that module with M-mount is the latest Ricoh product, that even has a lot of potential. So it is a good thing to promote it.
01-11-2012, 04:39 PM   #244

While I'm disappointed with no announcement, leak, or hint, I can certainly wait a few weeks; it's notable that Adam and Ogl have hinted as much. Even if you take the hints with a grain of salt the timing is such that a little patience won't kill anyone.

But I do hope Pentax or Ricoh takes note of the overall tone of the posts here and sharpens up their customer communications strategy... They need to learn a bit about how to drop well placed hints, leaks, and releases, and the positive/negative impacts on brand perception.

01-11-2012, 05:46 PM   #245
Forum Member

GXR is kind of a nifty idea but I take it will be near impossible to weatherize it, one of the main reasons I went for the K-7 and then K-5 was for the rugged aint going to worry bout much chassis. I still get a kick thinking about when one of my Nikon buddies was concerned at a camping trip that I not only brought it with me but I was shooting out in the cold rain. I told him I was more worried about my camera bag than my camera.
01-11-2012, 07:10 PM - 1 Like   #246
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've just become rather pessimistic about new stuff, but I'm not abandoning Pentax over this. After all, our gear predates the Ricoh takeover!
01-11-2012, 08:12 PM   #247
Veteran Member

i wonder how much of Pentax R&D is focused on getting the Japanese market? Or do the Pentax branches in different countries (e.g. North America, UK, etc) make their own marketing moves independent of how Pentax-Japan moves?

01-11-2012, 08:41 PM   #248
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
We all know who is wearing the Red Slippers here.

I wish I could get a hold of those slippers, because all I would be saying is...

"There's no place like home, there's no place like home".

01-11-2012, 09:16 PM   #249

Pentax's other booth

Here is a pic of Pentax's booth at the LVCC. As you can see, it’s located on a second floor in the central hall. If they were going to reveal new gear to selected folks,this would be the place they would do it.

More less a private room with a solid steel door, and windows that look down on the rest of the CES Show. This is at the LVCC. (Las Vegas ConventionCenter)

I showed up at this Pentax booth/room one hour before the show opened to industry professionals. I found the door wide opened and met a very nice lady, who invited me in. There was not much in the room but for red carpeting, and a few comfortable chairs you might find in a living room. She was still busy getting things ready for the start of the show.

The first thing I said was to ask if this is where the K-3 is hiding,inquiring into what was coming out next. (I had also asked at the Pentax booth where you see the pic at the beginning of this thread. One thing is clear,either there is nothing, or they are very tight lipped about it.) In case you are wondering, this was more a meeting room than anything else. I actually wondered why they really even had it, as it was hard to get to, and there was nothing set up at the time I was there.
Attached Images

01-12-2012, 12:43 AM   #250
Veteran Member

Shouldn't the Nikon sign be above the toilet?

Regards
01-12-2012, 03:21 AM   #251
Veteran Member

I guess after a fusion of companies, initially you'll speak to either a former Ricoh or former Pentax employee. Who will continue to sell what he knows. In this case, it was a former Ricoh guy

Otherwise, we shouldn't expect any exciting stuff from CES. It is a consumer show for cheap electronics, things like smart phones, PCs, TVs etc. Being an optical company, I wouldn't showcase my gems in such a low value environment. More and more, I see exciting products being launched at special events, not large shows.
01-12-2012, 03:54 AM   #252
Veteran Member

That said, there were still releases in the photography arena - ignoring the P&S there were things like Sigma announcing E-mount lenses for example...

Of course, each company will do whatever they want
01-12-2012, 04:25 AM   #253
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I guess after a fusion of companies, initially you'll speak to either a former Ricoh or former Pentax employee. Who will continue to sell what he knows. In this case, it was a former Ricoh guy

Otherwise, we shouldn't expect any exciting stuff from CES. It is a consumer show for cheap electronics, things like smart phones, PCs, TVs etc. Being an optical company, I wouldn't showcase my gems in such a low value environment. More and more, I see exciting products being launched at special events, not large shows.
Yet Nikon D4, Canon G1X e Fuji Xpro1 have been launched in time for this event.

That said, lately much good stuff form Pentax has been reserved for the CP+, and this is a Photokina year, so I guess something will come later (the XGR module for Pentax DA Lenses, I suppose).
01-12-2012, 04:31 AM - 1 Like   #254
Inactive Account

I must say it is quite entertaining to see some of you looking for magic signs, rugged boxes hidden behind a counter etc, keep it coming .
Seriously, we do realize that what plenty of Pentax users want to hear is what is their plans for future, what they want to do, cameras, lenses, roadmap.
And to fuel some conversation, here you go, NEX adapters for other mounts (K-mount included)... and a potentially interesting tele...
Sony at CES | Photo Rumors
01-12-2012, 06:12 AM   #255
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eurostar Quote
Yet Nikon D4, Canon G1X e Fuji Xpro1 have been launched in time for this event.

That said, lately much good stuff form Pentax has been reserved for the CP+, and this is a Photokina year, so I guess something will come later (the XGR module for Pentax DA Lenses, I suppose).
The Canon is a P&S and this show is all about P&S. the Nikon has been due for ages and Fuji has launched previously at CES with the X100 (which gives them the advantage of being the main point of focus in a time period since no-one else is showing/launching this grade of camera
of the 74 cameras announced so far this year 2 have been ILC