Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 29 Likes Search this Thread
01-12-2012, 02:17 PM   #271
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by johnc Quote
Perhaps in response to some of the current discussions here and elsewhere, Pentax UK just posted the following on their facebook page:

Hi Guys

We can confirm that Japan has now ceased production of the PENTAX K-r. However, it will continue to be available to purchase in Europe until at least May.

Customers and users of the K-r can be assured that, as with all Pentax SLRS, future lens introductions will be compatible with the K-r body.

We can also confirm that rumours about the K-5 discontinuing are untrue.

https://www.facebook.com/pentaxuk
So if the UK Pentax facebook guys are of anything to note, they just basically said "k-mount aint' dead".

01-12-2012, 02:20 PM   #272
Veteran Member

Nicely done, dcshooter. Spot on and probably more tactful than I would have been.
01-12-2012, 02:31 PM   #273
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
So if the UK Pentax facebook guys are of anything to note, they just basically said "k-mount aint' dead".
I don't think anyone expects the K-mount to go anywhere. Hell, even Olympus is talking about an E-5 replacement for regular 4/3.

I think the real concern is over the future evolution/growth of the K-mount. Will it grow or become stagnant? The K-5 was a huge success and I expect the replacement to be even better.
01-12-2012, 02:56 PM   #274
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
You're kidding, right?

1. The vast majority of cameras in the market today are designed in Japan, by Japanese-based companies (including Asahi-Pentax, Hoya, and now Ricoh).
2. Many new camera and electronics products are introduced to the Japanese Market before they are introduced here.
3. Japan has been a camera-obsessed culture for half a century, far more so than the US.
4. As mentioned above, Pentax products (e.g. the K-r) have been far more successful in Japan than they are here.
5. Pentax has traditionally unveiled new products at this very show.

Well let's see, Ricoh bought Pentax specifically to make a bigger impact in the consumer camera market. This isn't Hoya who all along was after the medical imaging division (which they kept). This same company that you never heard of was not afraid to take on (and overtake!) the Big Boys (I'm looking at you Canon) in the business imaging field. I have a hard time believing that they plan to let Pentax die. After all, there have been no mass layoffs at Pentax, we've had Pentax engineers talk about interesting technologies being considered for future cameras, we have had blatant hints coming directly from the company about new DSLR bodies this year, and we've even been thrown a bone on FF after years of nothing from Hoya. I am much more inclined to believe that Ricoh has a clear plan for the future of Pentax, and it is not something that is going to be implemented in a mere three months since the acquisition.

But you are ready to give up on the company because Ricoh-Pentax chose not to unveil a bunch of new Optios at an event traditionally geared toward low-end P+S's, leading to what will probably be a (GASP!) four week wait for new product announcements at a (DOUBLE GASP!) serious Japanese camera show.

Please, your cultural chauvinism is showing.
Thank you. Great post!

01-12-2012, 03:14 PM   #275
Banned

CP+

Well not putting down the thingy in Las Vegas, nor trying to boost our hopes for the upcoming CP+, but last year they did announced the K-5 Silver Pentax introduces limited edition silver K-5 & lenses: Digital Photography Review there and I bought it!

I also will order (I actually already did, since I talked to my store on tuesday and said to pre-order it) the CP+ Full Frame camera (let's call it K-1 for jokes).

01-12-2012, 03:17 PM - 1 Like   #276
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
The funny thing was, when the E-5 came out, it had been over 3 YEARS(!) since the E-3 had come out, and it was pretty much universally thought of as a disappointment by Olympus fans (myself included) who had been kept waiting so long and wanted something revolutionary. Furthermore, the company stated outright that it was pretty much abandoning 4/3 for m4/3. Yet the level of outcry and threats to abandon the brand by 4/3 users on the Olympus boards was nothing like I've seen here because Pentax simply decided not to do product announcements at CES.
Yes, well observed. Still, this dramaqueenesque attitude is so predictable in Pentax universe, I could make a good money betting on reactions. The "falling sky" and "Pentax is doomed" are already standard quotations in this habitat

The waiting for the never coming "flagship" is the story of this company, just the names change, be it Mz-1 or FF K-1*. The only thing that puzzles me is: are this always the same people, who just miss to learn a lesson (no - Pentax will NEVER be like Canon or Nikon) or is this a stage to which most tend to come, some do overcome it, some persist on it.
Nevermind

Edit: *Haha, just saw Ron is with with me here on this joke

Last edited by MMVIII; 01-12-2012 at 04:47 PM.
01-12-2012, 04:45 PM   #277
Inactive Account

The "Pentax is doomed" line seems to come from non-pentax users. Seriously - Pentax has a MUCH better fan base than that.

01-12-2012, 07:00 PM - 1 Like   #278

Made this to show what I wish Pentax would release this year. Larger than Q, APS-C Mirrorless, interchangeable K-mount

01-12-2012, 08:01 PM   #279
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax ain't doomed... well not yet. We'll see if the Mayans also bring Canon and Nikon down this 21st of December.

Won't stop me from getting new lenses though lol pretty sure Pentax has a deeper pocket for that now!
01-13-2012, 02:02 AM   #280
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by s.randy Quote
Made this to show what I wish Pentax would release this year. Larger than Q, APS-C Mirrorless, interchangeable K-mount
Heh But it should have an EVF like the NEX-7.
01-13-2012, 02:50 AM - 1 Like   #281

I would definitely buy that, and take my camera + DA40 everywhere with me
01-13-2012, 03:11 AM   #282
Veteran Member

Nice, but you forgot to put the huge shadow from the needed protruding mount. Your way, the lenses will never focus on anything.
01-13-2012, 03:56 AM   #283
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eurostar Quote
Nice, but you forgot to put the huge shadow from the needed protruding mount. Your way, the lenses will never focus on anything.
What about the reflected focus screen?

Otherwise, the image is a nice example of a colleague's saying: "A word can say more than a thousand images" ...
01-13-2012, 04:15 AM   #284
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Michijer Quote
with the adapter DA40 becomes twice/three times as thick. if you want AF won't be cheap.
LA-EA1 | α NEX Camera Mount Adapter | Sony | Sony Store USA
01-13-2012, 04:20 AM   #285
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Michijer Quote
Be aware that it wouldn't look quite as pretty from the side (it would have a substantial tube to get the necessary distance k-mount -> sensor)...