Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2012, 11:21 AM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SteveM Quote
Think about it. Ricoh didn't buy Pentax to discontinue DSLRs and retire 95% of the lens lineup. Pentax / Hoya most likely were left with a glut of previous models when the new ones were released. I'm not sure what the lag time might be, but discontinuing production of a model could take a very long time to sell off remaining stock. We might not hear anything about the new model for months.
Agreed. but the traditional 15 month life cycle is up. It makes sense to say nothing before Christmas so as to avoid derailing Christmas sales, but christmas
is over and the time has come for Ricoh to talk and I expect they will

01-04-2012, 11:35 AM   #32
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
I like the K mount. I am the 99%

OCCUPY K MOUNT!
with as much cash as we have in buying Aluminum boxes with Pentax logo
I doubt if either of us would be happy campers if the K mount died. I didn't buy
those boxes to store Eastman Kodak film cassettes in.
01-04-2012, 11:38 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
Even though both K-R and K-5 were quite new products to the Pentax-Hoya way of doing things, Ricoh likely felt that they had about saturated the "niche" market that Pentax is now in. (Non-mainstream Nikon-Canon users. Every other dSLR is also-ran.) They may well feel that there aren't big gains to be made in the APS dSLR market, so get out before getting caught with large inventory. It may not be accidental that the first product photos from Ricoh-Pentax showed the Q, 645, and NO K-mount.
All guessing on future direction is speculation and wishing. I've got my K-5, and wouldn't buy another APS camera as long as it is working. I don't much care what they do now, unless they go full-frame (which I doubt). I went 20 years between camera purchases, so I don't understand all the fuss about potential new offerings. Just use and enjoy what you have.

Both the K-r and the K-5 is "old" in the modern camera manufacturing cycle that Pentax had under Hoya ownership. We have no idea what the product cycle will be under Ricoh ownership.

I would guess Ricoh saw a future in what Pentax has been doing which is the K-mount APS-C DSLR camera. Otherwise Ricoh would just do it themselves without buying Pentax from Hoya. Pentax doesn't really have very good marketing. What they have is the Q, K-r, K-5 and 645D along with a few lenses (I wish there were more lenses). The K series is the cash cow. I would expect updates announced for both the K-r and the K-5 by CP+ in Febuary. If only just to keep the niches that those two cameras were filling filled with something. Then for Photokina I would expect a "big" announcement.

Anyhow, it is all speculations until Ricoh/Pentax makes some announcements. At least this year at PMA Pentax has a booth and meeting room at PMA instead of just a meeting room like the past couple of years. So they might have something to show in the booth.

In the past they like to show more exciting stuff off at CP+. This was when the 645D was announced.

Anyhow, I am currently not buying Pentax (or K-mount) gear until I find out what direction Pentax is taking under Ricoh ownership. If I see what I like I will buy a Sigma 500/4.5 (unless Pentax releases something like it).

Dave

Last edited by DaveBlack; 01-04-2012 at 11:45 AM.
01-04-2012, 12:08 PM   #34
Pentaxian

From the Google translation:

QuoteQuote:
Might be the successor to the K-5, it might be a full-size aircraft.
Yay, I like aircrafts!

01-04-2012, 01:51 PM   #35
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveBlack Quote
...Anyhow, I am currently not buying Pentax (or K-mount) gear until I find out what direction Pentax is taking under Ricoh ownership. If I see what I like I will buy a Sigma 500/4.5 (unless Pentax releases something like it).

Dave
This is a very common position, which i share, and i believe that the longer Pentax/Ricoh keep silent, the worst their sales will go.
01-04-2012, 02:07 PM   #36

realistically they have to keep the k mount - if it goes the pentax user base no longer has a tie to pentax cameras and are very likely to switch to canon or nikon. since ricoh wanted to increase their market share it would be rather stupiid to kill off the one thing that is holding customers to the brand they just purchased - specially since any product they released there after would still likely not match the top of the line canon and nikon products and certainly have nothing like the lense selection
01-04-2012, 02:43 PM   #37
Veteran Member

I stop buying Pentax gears, including used ones for the time being. If Fuji LX body + one short zoom (or one prime) priced around $2,000, I will buy that camera in 2012 and no others. I use my cameras for traveling and every day home life, I don't need a plethora of lenses, therefore changing brand is never a problem for me. If I have enough cash in the future, I will buy Nikon D4. I want the best equipment and don't care who makes it. Why would one spend thousands of dollars on a camera body and expect to fit a $200 old glass on it? So please Pentax, move on to new mount.

Last edited by violini; 01-04-2012 at 05:14 PM.
01-04-2012, 03:02 PM   #38
Pentaxian

Phillipine plant

When I first read about the take-over of Pentax by Ricoh, there was nothing in the message about taking over the Phillipine plant where the camera body's are made. It did mention the Vietnam lens plant. So now that K-r is out and the rumor that K-5 is out, maybe it is just the step toward a new plant from Ricoh (so probably Thailand) for producing new camera series.

I know, this is just something I thought true by combining different stuff!

Let's welcome K-s, K-3, K-1, 645Ds!

01-04-2012, 03:42 PM - 1 Like   #39
Pentaxian

Not only is Ricoh going to kill the K-mount for new cameras, they're going to push a button in their secret underground lair and permanently disable the K-mount on all existing cameras.

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
01-04-2012, 03:45 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Except that dSLR sales are rising worldwide, Pentax market share has been rising worldwide, CaNikon market share has been falling, Ricoh announced that they're big on SLRs, and Ricoh wants to eat Canon's market. Sure, except for facts, it's apparent that Pentax is doomed. Right.
Those facts...always getting in the way
01-04-2012, 03:59 PM   #41
Pentaxian

Except that dSLR sales are rising worldwide, Pentax market share has been rising worldwide, CaNikon market share has been falling, Ricoh announced that they're big on SLRs, and Ricoh wants to eat Canon's market. Sure, except for facts, it's apparent that Pentax is doomed. Right.
This (growing in future) and the reporting of Hoya that in the last years the production facility's where on 100 % strengthens my idea of closing down in the Phillipines and opening up a new plant somewhere else. Maybe nearby excisting Ricoh plants, or even part of them.
01-04-2012, 04:06 PM   #42
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
I like the K mount. I am the 99%

OCCUPY K MOUNT!
LMAO

I chatted with couple different retailers earlier this week. Stock is hard to come by. In fact the Pentax rep who works my area has been flogging refurbs to keep shelves from looking bare.

EDIT: Gah... didnt realize this thread was into three pages already, so far behind! sorry for posting like a complete nub.. going to go catch up.
01-04-2012, 04:14 PM - 1 Like   #43
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
K-r K-5...plagued with problems
0/10. In my day, people used to really know how to troll.
Nowadays no one tries anymore.
01-04-2012, 04:46 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
As to K-r & K-5, the sooner the better since they are plagued with problems.
What a crock of shite that is, my K5 is absolutely stellar.

Sure, except for facts, it's apparent that Pentax is doomed. Right.

There ya go ruining a perfectly good thread with logic.... AGAIN!
01-04-2012, 05:55 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stormcloud Quote
realistically they have to keep the k mount - if it goes the pentax user base no longer has a tie to pentax cameras and are very likely to switch to canon or nikon. since ricoh wanted to increase their market share it would be rather stupiid to kill off the one thing that is holding customers to the brand they just purchased - specially since any product they released there after would still likely not match the top of the line canon and nikon products and certainly have nothing like the lense selection
Yes I agree! Pentax has to have a way to keep their K-mount base from leaving. I am still waiting for more K-mount lenses. The lack of K-mount lenses is one reason I kind of wish I brought Nikon D70 back when I brought into the Pentax system with *Ist DS. A new camera with a new mount and only a few lenses is not going to interest me.

Dave
Closed Thread