Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2012, 02:37 PM   #91
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
Cameras come & go. As to K-r & K-5, the sooner the better since they are plagued with problems. Hopefully Ricoh will do right this round.
Greetings. Regarding your statement that the K-r and K-5 are "plagued with problems", could you elaborate? I have a K-5, and have yet to find a problem. In fact, thus far it's the best built, most reliable DSLR I've ever used.

01-05-2012, 03:06 PM   #92
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I am a bit surprised by the lack of K-r on B&H and Adorama only has the black with 35mm lens. Usually Pentax has the new model out and the old model can still be bought for a month or two everywhere that offers Pentax. However, walmart.com in the USA seems fully stocked with K-r so it's not like one can't be bought easily.

Pentax/Ricoh is certainly ramping up for something new and big it seems. Well, that is unless this is all caused by the natural disaster in Thailand.

I think we can expect some interesting stuff soon.
01-05-2012, 03:37 PM   #93
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
The Real Problem

The problem with Pentax today, is that NONE of their digital cameras can produce a decent photo. That's because NONE of their digital cameras were designed to produce a decent photo. They were all designed to produce snapshots. And for that any P&S garbage will do. There's no difference.

The problem is the APS-C sensor format. It doesn't matter what lens you mount to an APS-C sensor camera body, the result will always look like shit. A snapshot!

With the APS-C sensor format, the lenses and the sensor are a mismatch. The lenses lose their intrinsic (artistic) qualities.

What we need is a 35mm digital body with a full size 35mm sensor to match the lenses designed for the 35mm format. It is imperative for Pentax to produce this camera.

Last edited by mika.; 01-05-2012 at 04:08 PM.
01-05-2012, 04:17 PM   #94
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mika. Quote
The problem with Pentax today, is that NONE of their digital cameras can produce a decent photo. That's because NONE of their digital cameras were designed to produce a decent photo. They were all designed to produce snapshots. And for that any P&S garbage will do. There's no difference.

The problem is the APS-C sensor format. It doesn't matter what lens you mount to an APS-C sensor camera body, the result will always look like shit. A snapshot!

With the APS-C sensor format, the lenses and the sensor are a mismatch. The lenses lose their intrinsic (artistic) qualities.

What we need is a 35mm digital body with a full size 35mm sensor to match the lenses designed for the 35mm format. It is imperative for Pentax to produce this camera.
Total nonsense. Artists are making large fine art prints from APS-C. I have friend who has a gallery selling fine art prints (to astonishingly high prices) and doing wedding and other types of photography on the side. He uses Canon APS and Canon FF. No one can see the difference even in large print. I was commenting favourably about the quality of FF in a meter sized print until he pointed out it was shot on an EOS 10D.....

01-05-2012, 04:22 PM   #95
Banned

Fuji just announced 19 new camera's. There is a thing as not enough new camera's and there is a thing called to many new camera's I guess.
01-05-2012, 04:25 PM   #96
Veteran Member

The problem with Pentax today, is that NONE of their digital cameras can produce a decent photo.
, did you miss a smilie somewhere in that post.
01-05-2012, 04:27 PM   #97
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The problem is the APS-C sensor format. It doesn't matter what lens you mount to an APS-C sensor camera body, the result will always look like shit. A snapshot!.
For a guy who smacks down everything Pentax, you sure have a decent K-mount lens collection with a DA lens and K-x to boot.

01-05-2012, 04:34 PM   #98
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Total nonsense. Artists are making large fine art prints from APS-C. I have friend who has a gallery selling fine art prints (to astonishingly high prices) and doing wedding and other types of photography on the side. He uses Canon APS and Canon FF. No one can see the difference even in large print. I was commenting favourably about the quality of FF in a meter sized print until he pointed out it was shot on an EOS 10D.....
I've gone over tens of thousand of pics on flickr to confirm my suspicion, and that's my conclusion. You're entitled to your opinion of-course, but you're missing my point entirely. I don't care about making large enlargements. What I care about is a photo looking like a photo, and not looking like a snapshot. If you can't see and understand the difference, you never will. So that's that.
01-05-2012, 04:37 PM   #99
Pentaxian

The problem is APS-C sensor format. It doesn't matter what lens you mount to an APS-C sensor camera body, the result will always look like shit. A snapshot!

Wow. Since FA lenses can handle fullframe they are garbage on APS-C? Are DA lenses intrinsically artistic because they have a smaller image circle?
01-05-2012, 04:42 PM   #100
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
For a guy who smacks down everything Pentax, you sure have a decent K-mount lens collection with a DA lens and K-x to boot.
I think it's pretty obvious I'm not a Pentax hater.

It's unfortunate so many have no independent opinion and are just propaganda parrots for the marketing departments of corporations.
01-05-2012, 04:45 PM   #101
Veteran Member

Thanks for the good belly laugh, I really needed that !!
01-05-2012, 04:45 PM   #102
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Wow. Since FA lenses can handle fullframe they are garbage on APS-C? Are DA lenses intrinsically artistic because they have a smaller image circle?
Yes. It does not matter what lens you mount on an APS-C camera. The perspective is wrong, and what you get is garbage.
01-05-2012, 04:46 PM   #103
Veteran Member

So going full frame will automaticly give you work of art photographs?
01-05-2012, 04:49 PM - 1 Like   #104
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What I care about is a photo looking like a photo, and not looking like a snapshot. If you can't see and understand the difference, you never will. So that's that.
So FF, but not APS-C, cameras can make photos look like 'real' photos? I believe you're misled by a number of biases, let alone misinformation. A photographer who shoots well with FF cameras, can produce similarly stunning work on APS-C cameras - all operator-dependent. Of course, the proportion of FF owners who are professional would outweigh the proportion of pro photpgraphers who shoot APS-C - a selection bias in your assessment of camera results. Check out artists such as Thomas Shahan, who even today uses the K200D to do his macro work:

Flickr: Thomas Shahan's Photostream
Photos : ThomasShahan.com
I'd like to see P&S cameras do this.

And of course he is one of many photographers out there creating brilliant work from their APS-C cameras...
01-05-2012, 04:51 PM   #105
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
So going full frame will automaticly give you work of art photographs?
It will take you 90% there. You can laugh like a dumb hyena all you want, the results are what they are. Garbage. This is not an attack on Pentax. This is an attack on the APS-C marketing scam.
Closed Thread