Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2012, 06:00 PM   #121
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a thrilling idea. Have the camera make a determination if the picture being taken will be art, or just more manure, and if it's manure, don't let the user take the picture. Better yet, autocrop the picture so that it will obey the rule of thirds, or physically move the APS-C sensor within the body to take the shot will be on the rule of thirds instead of centered.

And if the picture wont become art, no matter what the in-camera fixup can do, make a loud BUZZ error sound to let the user know they are a horrible photographer.

01-05-2012, 06:01 PM   #122
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Here's a snapshot-like pic taken on a full size digital sensor. But this snapshot-like pic taken on a full size sensor looks better than 99% of anything I've seen taken with an APS-C camera. Can you not see this?

01-05-2012, 06:01 PM   #123

QuoteOriginally posted by mika. Quote
Actually, you have it backwards. I did not and will not inhale the marketing propaganda that you have. Anyway, enjoy! This is turning into a troll fest. I'm done here.
I'm not talking about your PoV specifically (we all know the truth), more the fact your trying so hard to prevail with the worst troll since the advent of /b/
01-05-2012, 06:02 PM   #124
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
This thread is bordering on troll-feeding now.
Bordering?

QuoteOriginally posted by Paramore:
And the worst part is, before it gets any better
We're headed for a cliff
And in the free fall I will realize
I'm better off when I hit the bottom

01-05-2012, 06:04 PM   #125
Veteran Member

Here's a snapshot-like pic taken on a full size digital sensor. But this snapshot-like pic taken on a full size sensor looks better than 99% of anything I've seen taken on with an APS-C camera. Can you not see this?
no.

and for what its worth, a snapshot isn't usually taken at such a shallow DOF That looks more like ordinary street photography to me (albeit not very good).
01-05-2012, 06:06 PM   #126
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's a snapshot-like pic taken on a full size digital sensor. But this snapshot-like pic taken on a full size sensor looks better 99% of anything I've seen taken on with an APS-C camera. Can you not see this?
I'm not sure why. I expect you could hook up the FA* 31/1.8, shoot at 1.8 and take this same image on a K-5.

The real value in FF is that we can get more resolution, diffraction limiting is farther away, and you can always crop the image to APS-C size if you need/want to.

It does have some affect on wide glass appearing wider and whatnot, but I find that to be largely irrelevant, as I can get a wider angle of view with the glass that I own.
01-05-2012, 06:09 PM   #127
Inactive Account

Here's another shot. You'll never mimic this with an APS-C camera, it doesn't matter what lens you use.

01-05-2012, 06:10 PM   #128
Veteran Member

why would I want to mimic that?

edit: that kind of looks like a film photograph with all of the imperfections
01-05-2012, 06:13 PM   #129
TAP
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's another one. You'll never be able to mimic this with APS-C

Oh wait...

Edit: Since when did potential for more bokeh = better camera, better photographer?

Last edited by TAP; 01-05-2012 at 06:19 PM.
01-05-2012, 06:20 PM   #130
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
I'm not sure why. I expect you could hook up the FA* 31/1.8, shoot at 1.8 and take this same image on a K-5.
You're wrong. The APS-C sensor changes what areas are in and out of focus and how they behave. It changes how large these areas that are in and out of focus. The gradation of the focus areas changes. That just simply can't be fixed.
01-05-2012, 06:30 PM   #131
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's another shot. You'll never mimic this with an APS-C camera, it doesn't matter what lens you use.
I have to admit, I'm tempted to try. Don't get me wrong, I really want a FF Pentax, but I'm certain I can create this same look, if I want to.
01-05-2012, 06:32 PM   #132
Inactive Account

Here's another. This is not high art. But the photographic quality of the pic is undeniably there. You'll never get anything like that from an APS-C sensor.

Last edited by mika.; 01-05-2012 at 06:47 PM.
01-05-2012, 06:34 PM   #133
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
I have to admit, I'm tempted to try. Don't get me wrong, I really want a FF Pentax, but I'm certain I can create this same look, if I want to.
You can't. Because of the crop factor, it's impossible with an APS-C sensor.

Last edited by mika.; 01-05-2012 at 06:41 PM.
01-05-2012, 06:38 PM - 1 Like   #134
Veteran Member

MF rulez. FF droolz.
01-05-2012, 07:01 PM   #135
Pentaxian

Part of me finds this entertaining. Another part wants to cry.

mika, you seem to be judging photos primarily by their depth of field. More bokeh = more art to you. In that case, then the largest sensor with the largest aperture is what you might want. But it's your style *preference*, nothing more, nothing less. APS-C and FF can both create good photos despite some things being easier with FF. Trying to convince us otherwise is silly.

Some people, including many landscape photographers, prefer to have everything in focus, and that's their preference. Being sharply focused does not mean a photo is bad. Some good photos have lots of bokeh. Some good photos have no bokeh. Either way can equal art depending on how all of the other elements that go into a photo interact with each other.
Closed Thread