Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 31 Likes Search this Thread
01-05-2012, 07:04 PM   #136
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mika. Quote
Here's another. This is not high art. But the photographic quality of the pic is undeniably there. You'll never get anything like that from an APS-C sensor.
im not following..... why because its in B&W and grainy with shallow DOF? What is "The photographic quality" you seek? These three things? If so, film is your answer!

01-05-2012, 07:09 PM   #137
Veteran Member

Wow
MIka
I understand you dont see good photo, I dont see any you are showing are what I like. THat where the problem is. Your universe is not the one for many of us
01-05-2012, 07:09 PM   #138
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You can't. Because of the crop factor, it's impossible with an APS-C sensor.
Oh gosh, only full frame? Why do you want full frame if the 645d out there does things your full frame can't /troll?

edit - what, there's no spoiler tags?
01-05-2012, 07:12 PM   #139
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Part of me finds this entertaining. Another part wants to cry.

mika, you seem to be judging photos primarily by their depth of field. More bokeh = more art to you.
Yes, "bokeh" has a lot to do with it. The APS-C sensor decompresses or expands the "bokeh", for lack of a better word, and thereby most always destroys the photographic quality of the photo.

01-05-2012, 07:21 PM   #140
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
im not following..... why because its in B&W and grainy with shallow DOF? What is "The photographic quality" you seek?
No, no, no! Shallow DOF is not what I'm talking about. What I'm talking about is how the areas that are out of focus behave. I can't believe there isn't one person here that understand what I'm trying to get at. Anyway, I'm sick of this. It's obvious I'm not getting through.
01-05-2012, 07:21 PM   #141
Veteran Member

You can't. Because of the crop factor, it's impossible with an APS-C sensor.
Hmmm...

I hate to be the barer of bad news, but I'm fairly confident that every example you've posted to date can be replicated with an APS-C camera. The problem(I believe) is that you most likely don't feel that FF output can be replicated by a focal length, aperture and working distance formula. However as a fan of vintage lenses, I can assure you that its possible. Having said that I'd be more than happy to post some examples for you(if you want). Otherwise, just pretend I never posted this and carry on with your discussion.

Last edited by JohnBee; 01-05-2012 at 09:03 PM.
01-05-2012, 07:30 PM   #142
Veteran Member

No, no, no! Shallow DOF is not what I'm talking about. What I'm talking about is how the areas that are out of focus behave. I can't believe there isn't one person here that understand what I'm trying to get at. Anyway, I'm sick of this. It's obvious I'm not getting through.
First and foremost...

QuoteQuote:
Shallow DOF is not what I'm talking about
QuoteQuote:
What I'm talking about is how the areas that are out of focus behave
dont you need shallow DOF to see how the out of focus areas behave?

second: post an image which supports your arguement without shallow DOF

01-05-2012, 07:36 PM   #143
Veteran Member

No, no, no! Shallow DOF is not what I'm talking about. What I'm talking about is how the areas that are out of focus behave.
You mean like this:

Last edited by JohnBee; 01-06-2012 at 07:17 PM.
01-05-2012, 07:45 PM   #144
Veteran Member

I am "wow"ed by this claim... that nothing can compare to the pictures coming from the FF cameras. Obviously we see things differently... but that statement is pretty bold without any real substantiation IMHO.

Wait, that is not brand specific, I am sure those 7D, D300s or D7k users out there may have different opinions as well. What about those 645D users?
01-05-2012, 07:52 PM   #145
Veteran Member

Another fun thing: His first example photo is not from a full frame camera. (It's taken with a Leica M8.)
01-05-2012, 07:54 PM   #146
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Oh gosh, only full frame? Why do you want full frame if the 645d out there does things your full frame can't /troll?

*flickr image*

edit - what, there's no spoiler tags?
While I'm not against examining the nose hairs of your friend, maybe you should use a link to a smaller version of that photo...
01-05-2012, 08:02 PM   #147
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
While I'm not against examining the nose hairs of your friend, maybe you should use a link to a smaller version of that photo...
Yeah but then it isn't as fun
01-05-2012, 08:06 PM   #148
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Yeah but then it isn't as fun
I guess it's alright once the photo cached.
01-05-2012, 08:14 PM   #149

I've had the K5 for a while now and have not had a single problem operating in the cold of Alaska. Just curious what the problems are that plaque the K5, since I haven't had any. Thanks.
01-05-2012, 08:25 PM   #150
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

It will take you 90% there. You can laugh like a dumb hyena all you want, the results are what they are. Garbage. This is not an attack on Pentax. This is an attack on the APS-C marketing scam.
Ah, yes. The old "It's not the photographer, it's the camera" argument. Everybody knows skill is not a factor in taking great photos.
Closed Thread