Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2007, 07:29 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rvannatta Quote
It looks to me like there is a high likelyhood that the k200D combine the best features of the K100 and K10, and if so the K10 though a great camera, is pointless.
This seems extremely unlikely to me. We won't see an entry-level camera with dual control dials and weathersealing.

Likewise, some other important features -- extended bracketing, fractional-stop ISO levels, rear-curtain sync flash, advanced wb control, user-defined mode, and even blinking lowlights in review -- are entirely software but withheld on purpose from the entry level. More power to them if Pentax does put this in their K200D, but I seriously doubt they will.

12-27-2007, 07:42 PM   #17
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
The K10D and K100D Super are both scheduled for replacement (announce jan arrive march). The rumoured K20D is around $1400 for body (haven't heard this from a reliable source - Pentax). Can't imagine the entry level body/ lens going up much past the price of the K100D Super. This means a huge gap between a $600 entry level kit and a $1400 body. Calls for a third body. Marketing wise three choices are good. Geez, Pentax has never brought out two new dslrs at a time. Can they even pull this off?
On another note will the rebates go past Jan 31? There may not be that many unsold bodies left to move. It will be interesting times.
thanks
barondla
well if they are going to attempt to price the new high end that high it does leave a gap
for the K10 to sit around for a while but the K10 has already been priced close to the $600
level. Sheesh! Amazon has it at $629 less a $100 rebate. I don't see how you can reposition it unless they push it BELOW the K200D.
12-27-2007, 07:56 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Eliminate the rebate

well if they are going to attempt to price the new high end that high it does leave a gap
for the K10 to sit around for a while but the K10 has already been priced close to the $600
level. Sheesh! Amazon has it at $629 less a $100 rebate. I don't see how you can reposition it unless they push it BELOW the K200D.
I doubt the K200D will have weather sealing and 2 control wheels so why not drop the rebate on the K10D and kick it up $100? If it keeps selling, keep making it. Pentax would be raising their profit margin and it certainly won't take any sales away from the K20D. There is no reason whatsoever to stop producing it.
12-27-2007, 09:50 PM   #19

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tux08902 Quote
Personally, I doubt Pentax will discontinue the K10D after the so-called K20D is released, simply because it's a great camera for the price and would offer the market one more choice, especially for those who can't afford the best of the best. It would also help Pentax compete better.
I have to agree with you there.

12-28-2007, 12:20 AM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by KFrog Quote
I have to agree with you there.

I think this is sort of what pentax did with the K1000. It went on for 20 years.

I rather expect though that the dealers won't want to stock 3 different models, unless the product gets really hot. shelf space is always a fight, and while the big guys can cram product at their dealers, and force them to take unpopular product to get the popular product,
the smaller manufacturers have to be more reasonable or the dealers won't carry the product at all.
12-28-2007, 12:26 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
I doubt the K200D will have weather sealing and 2 control wheels so why not drop the rebate on the K10D and kick it up $100?
You right I would be surprised if the K200D had both weather sealing and 2 control wheels ... Richard hinted at a possible weather sealing on the K200D.
12-28-2007, 12:33 AM   #22
Veteran Member

I think this is sort of what pentax did with the K1000. It went on for 20 years.

I rather expect though that the dealers won't want to stock 3 different models, unless the product gets really hot. shelf space is always a fight, and while the big guys can cram product at their dealers, and force them to take unpopular product to get the popular product,
the smaller manufacturers have to be more reasonable or the dealers won't carry the product at all.
My local dealer is having problems keeping Pentax bodies on his shelves, I think that he'd welcome a third model if it would help him keep them in stock.
I'm sure that he's not alone either.
12-28-2007, 12:41 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
My local dealer is having problems keeping Pentax bodies on his shelves, I think that he'd welcome a third model if it would help him keep them in stock.
I'm sure that he's not alone either.
Indeed, that's true for conscious, smart sellers.

I doubt stupid sellers (read "Only Nikon/Canon exists, what is Tampax... hum") would chose to carry the good ones in their shop. They would sell the low-end and the "old" K10D. No higher end because "Pentax is no high end and those won't sell anyway".

Please do not think those guys are smart enough to notice that Pentax does great now. Most of those guys still think there's Canon, Nikon and...nothing,just small players which will die soon. Sad but true (talking for Belgium here but Im sure it is very common in Europe).

12-28-2007, 02:45 AM   #24
Veteran Member

The K10D is to much of a cash cow for Pentax to even think of stopping production on it.
The problem is that it is no longer a cash cow.
How much profit do you think Pentax can make from a $600 K10D?

Profit margin is what DSLR is all about and what Hoya wants. It just does not make economic sense to keep such a high specs product selling at such a dirt cheap price with paper thin margins.
12-28-2007, 03:36 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote

Profit margin is what DSLR is all about and what Hoya wants. It just does not make economic sense to keep such a high specs product selling at such a dirt cheap price with paper thin margins.
What makes you think the price drop is coming out of Pentax's pocket? Normally the manufacturer sells to the distributor at a fixed price and any discounting is done by the distributors. Maybe it's the distributor that is taking the thin margin, not Pentax.
12-28-2007, 04:42 AM   #26
Pentaxian

What makes you think the price drop is coming out of Pentax's pocket? Normally the manufacturer sells to the distributor at a fixed price and any discounting is done by the distributors. Maybe it's the distributor that is taking the thin margin, not Pentax.
Well in Europe, the K10D is selling (web shops) at around 700Ä with VAT. Discounting the VAT is 600Ä. In dollars it is about 870 US$. Expensive isn it ?
But the same factory is making those so yes, the distributor has at least some influence on prices IMO.
12-28-2007, 07:22 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote

More than any other DSLR except for the E-410 and E-510 actually. Oh, and the $600 price is the reason why Pentax has sold way too many K10D's, online retailers are dumb and are selling themselves short. We still sell the K10D at $800 and outsell many online retailers body for body. Price gouging, only in America can we hurt each other so bad.

Back to the issue at hand, there won't be any K10D's come very very soon as the K200D will basically be a AA powered non-weather sealed version of it at a lower price, plus a few undisclosed features over the K10D.

Will Pentax have a third model in there for next year. Well, you'll just have to wait and see guys. :ugh:
12-28-2007, 02:32 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
Back to the issue at hand, there won't be any K10D's come very very soon as the K200D will basically be a AA powered non-weather sealed version of it at a lower price, plus a few undisclosed features over the K10D.
Looks from the leaked photos that it also won't have dual control dials. Or other quick-access buttons. Also no USER mode. I doubt it'll have a pentaprism viewfinder. And while I expect they will improve the menus somewhat, will they really include all the various options and advanced control the K10D has over the K100D? The K10D, after all, isn't just a 10mpix K100D.
12-28-2007, 02:35 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
And while I expect they will improve the menus somewhat, will they really include all the various options and advanced control the K10D has over the K100D? The K10D, after all, isn't just a 10mpix K100D.
Not all but I expect e.g. better Jpeg control.
12-28-2007, 02:43 PM   #30

I really hope Pentax corrects the EV compensation- ISO problem of the earlier ist/k100d cameras.

Plus getting rid of possible VPN when underexposed pictures need to be adjusted in software if they use the Sony 10Mp sensor. Sometimes I underexpose a little to capture highlights with my istds.