Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2007, 07:45 PM   #1

K10D Super

I have a feeling we might see this in near future too with upgrades taken from the to be released K20D. Possible reason for the pricedrop.

12-26-2007, 10:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by skamaraju Quote
I have a feeling we might see this in near future too with upgrades taken from the to be released K20D. Possible reason for the pricedrop.
Won't happen.
12-26-2007, 10:52 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
Won't happen.
I agree. I'm no insider, but the k100 super for for a specific reason---i.e. to pick up
compatibility with the SDM lenses. They simply couldn't be selling cameras on which their lenses didn't work. I would also rather expect that the K100 was designed to accept that upgrade
from day one. Alternatively it wouldn't shock me if Pentax made an internal assumption that the K100 would be replaced before the SDM surfaced.

It would have been a lot neater if the K10/100 replacements could have come to market
in time for this christmas selling season --- (with the features that are rumored), but obviously this was not to be as we can see from 20-20 hindsight, but alas the time has come for the new to displace the old, and if Pentax is going to claim the lead and keep it, it will mean 12-18 month product cycles for a while with serious improvements in each interation and not just a face lift.

they should be able to grow on their base and avoid reinventing the wheel each time.
12-27-2007, 05:12 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rvannatta Quote
I agree. I'm no insider, but the k100 super for for a specific reason---i.e. to pick up
compatibility with the SDM lenses. They simply couldn't be selling cameras on which their lenses didn't work. I would also rather expect that the K100 was designed to accept that upgrade
from day one.
Yes of course, maybe some others remeber but what happened when the K100D went out was that people looked at the inside of the mirror boxand saw the not present SDM contacts. I mean, you could clearly see there was the space for those contacts. Just take a K100 and check it.

IMO a K100 could be upgraded with minimal soldering and firmware hack. It should be rather easy but who'd be stupid enough to risk that, I dunno. Not me.

Oh and BTW that would be a nice Pentax service: Let them upgrade your K100 to a K100D for $100-150. That would be neat

12-27-2007, 06:39 AM   #5
wll
Veteran Member

My Bet !

From what I've read, Pentax has stopped all production of the K10D and is starting to gear up for the K20D.

Like the pres of Pentax said a few months ago, no small changes.

wll
12-27-2007, 06:59 AM   #6
Veteran Member

back in stock everywhere

QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote
From what I've read, Pentax has stopped all production of the K10D and is starting to gear up for the K20D.

Like the pres of Pentax said a few months ago, no small changes.

wll
I checked B & H and Adorama this morning and everything is in stock. The out of stock last week could have been, and most likely was, a last minute Christmas rush. The K10D is to much of a cash cow for Pentax to even think of stopping production on it.

The only real change is at buydig and beach where the price of the K10D with the kit lens has gone up but the body only hasn't changed.
12-27-2007, 10:10 AM   #7

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K10D I would think should still be in production or at least still available. Once the K20D is officially announced how long will it take to get it in the stores? A month or two, probably more. The K10D is still a viable alternative camera, especially for the price!

12-27-2007, 01:12 PM   #8

I would find it interesting if Pentax stopped the K10D. Why?

Well with all the awards and word of mouth passed down to potential customers how great the K10D is; Pentax would be shooting themselves in the foot to cancel it. I believe they will keep it alive for at least another 12 months, as what can you buy to compete "Bang for the Buck" against this model?

I like the Canon 40D and it is cheaper now, however the K10D is still $450 cheaper in Canada. For me, that is a huge difference for those entering semipro market that have no real investment in Pro type glass.
12-27-2007, 01:17 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Pentax might shift all production to the K20D to face heavy demand and then put back part of the production to K10D.

Just a possibility of course.
12-27-2007, 02:23 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Yes of course, maybe some others remeber but what happened when the K100D went out was that people looked at the inside of the mirror boxand saw the not present SDM contacts. I mean, you could clearly see there was the space for those contacts. Just take a K100 and check it.

IMO a K100 could be upgraded with minimal soldering and firmware hack. It should be rather easy but who'd be stupid enough to risk that, I dunno. Not me.

Oh and BTW that would be a nice Pentax service: Let them upgrade your K100 to a K100D for $100-150. That would be neat
A couple of electrical contacts shouldn't have cost that much--- Makes you wonder if when the K100 design was put to bed, the SDM design was so tenative that they intentionally crippled the K100 so they wouldn't have to risk having it not work. because of some firmware issue that couldn't be fixed.
12-27-2007, 02:43 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rvannatta Quote
A couple of electrical contacts shouldn't have cost that much--- Makes you wonder if when the K100 design was put to bed, the SDM design was so tenative that they intentionally crippled the K100 so they wouldn't have to risk having it not work. because of some firmware issue that couldn't be fixed.
Of course it is possible.
They also might wanted at the time to put out a "K150D" being a K100D Super with 10Mpix sensor à la D40X. The K200D will be another beast fortunately.

That said I still think that , whatever the reasons (good or bad), a K100D could "easily" be hacked.
12-27-2007, 03:11 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Personally, I doubt Pentax will discontinue the K10D after the so-called K20D is released, simply because it's a great camera for the price and would offer the market one more choice, especially for those who can't afford the best of the best. It would also help Pentax compete better.
12-27-2007, 03:14 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I think the main factor to keep or discontinue the current K10D will be both specs/price position of K200D/K20D.

If there's a room for it, why not. But if the K200D is almost as good, I do not see the market for too little difference. Body and ergonomics are not enough to justify choice based only on those factors (IMO).
12-27-2007, 04:49 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
I think the main factor to keep or discontinue the current K10D will be both specs/price position of K200D/K20D.

If there's a room for it, why not. But if the K200D is almost as good, I do not see the market for too little difference. Body and ergonomics are not enough to justify choice based only on those factors (IMO).
It looks to me like there is a high likelyhood that the k200D combine the best features of the K100 and K10, and if so the K10 though a great camera, is pointless. Certainly though the K10 will be a classic, just as the K2 was.

I owned a K2 and they were not made for very long, but even now 30 years later they are recognized as one of the pentax classics.
12-27-2007, 06:09 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How many dslrs is Pentax bringing out at once?

The K10D and K100D Super are both scheduled for replacement (announce jan arrive march). The rumoured K20D is around $1400 for body (haven't heard this from a reliable source - Pentax). Can't imagine the entry level body/ lens going up much past the price of the K100D Super. This means a huge gap between a $600 entry level kit and a $1400 body. Calls for a third body. Marketing wise three choices are good. Geez, Pentax has never brought out two new dslrs at a time. Can they even pull this off?
On another note will the rebates go past Jan 31? There may not be that many unsold bodies left to move. It will be interesting times.
thanks
barondla