Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2007, 09:24 AM   #1

Samsung news from Digitimes

The Asian members of this board will know Digitimes.com as they are an industry insider that report on news with only small speculations. Being in the computer industry at the manufacturing level, I have found digitimes to be accurate and a good resource on my competition.
.........................................................................................................

Source: Taiwan market: Samsung to launch 14 new digital cameras in 2008

Taiwan market: Samsung to launch 14 new digital cameras in 2008
Jimmy Hsu, Taipei; Adam Hwang, DIGITIMES [Thursday 27 December 2007]

Samsung Electronics will launch 14 new digital cameras in Taiwan in 2008, aiming to hike its market share from 4-5% in 2007 to 12% to become one of the top three vendors, according to general manger Chul-young Lee for Samsung Electronics Taiwan at a year-end press conference on December 26.

Out of the 14 new cameras to be launched, four will be in the NV series, three each in the L, S and i series and a DSLR (digital single-lens reflex) model developed jointly by Samsung and Pentax, Samsung Taiwan pointed out. The 14 digital cameras cover a wide spectrum from entry level to middle range and high end, the company indicated.

All of the 14 models will feature the Samsung-developed DRIM (data rendering innovation matrix) engine which is capable of easy connection with LCD TVs or monitors and recording 720p video with built-in H.264 compression software, Samsung Taiwan noted.

12-27-2007, 10:08 AM   #2

Does that mean new ?K20D can record video too?
12-27-2007, 10:18 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by equinox Quote
The Asian members of this board will know Digitimes.com as they are an industry insider that report on news with only small speculations. Being in the computer industry at the manufacturing level, I have found digitimes to be accurate and a good resource on my competition.
.........................................................................................................

Source: Taiwan market: Samsung to launch 14 new digital cameras in 2008

All of the 14 models will feature the Samsung-developed DRIM (data rendering innovation matrix) engine which is capable of easy connection with LCD TVs or monitors and recording 720p video with built-in H.264 compression software, Samsung Taiwan noted.
H'mmm, looks like a feature may be a quick and easy plug in to an external monitor.
If the view is also 'live' as rumored, that would support studio setups with a full size
computer screen displaying a 'live view'. or for that matter if issues regarding a 'long cord' for the video are managed, remote photography suddenly quits being a shoot in the blind
operation, but alas where did power zoom go just as there is a use for it.

but you are well on the way to having a camera capable of full remote operation which with the SDM lens that makes little noise could make for a very high quality security camera, or
it could make remote photography for shy animals a little easier, but alas, the power zoom that was 20 years ahead of its time 20 years ago, suddenly has a place.

Wonder if Pentax in hijacking the '2' of the KAF2 mount for SDM preserved a path
to support power zoom.
12-27-2007, 10:24 AM   #4
Veteran Member

regarding the KAF2 mount, I have heard that Sigma will be supporting the mount more with the motor lenses, so, the current EX Sigmas which don't have a Pentax fit and have HSM, WILL shortly be available to Pentax users in addition to the Current CanKon users.

12-27-2007, 10:51 AM   #5
Veteran Member

good news for K mount fans

QuoteOriginally posted by equinox Quote

I don't consider myself a Pentax fanboy but I am married to the K mount. The idea of Samsung entering the DSLR market in a big way has not been talked about a lot on this forum and I am convinced it is the best thing since sliced bread for K mount fans. If we think about it in terms of K mount instead of brand name we are looking at the possibility of having 4 new bodies to choose from this coming year. There may not be a lot of differences but enough to give us more choices. Having 2 manufacturers making lenses will certainly also be a bonus.

There have been several people that have made the comment that Samsung will do nothing but service the entry level area and Pentax will abandon that segment of the market. I can't see that happening. My bet is they will both have complete offerings of bodies, each having their own distinct advantages. As excited as I am about the K20D I am going to wait to see what Samsung has to offer before buying anything.

Oh yea, and for those of you that are still looking for old glass, better hurry up and buy what you want before there is an additional 500,000 Samsung shooters in the market.

Regards,

Ken
12-27-2007, 12:53 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote

Oh yea, and for those of you that are still looking for old glass, better hurry up and buy what you want before there is an additional 500,000 Samsung shooters in the market.

Regards,

Ken
Well, that market was pretty well high-graded years ago. My bigger hope is that w/ the new Samsung commitment, a whole bunch of new lenses appear making those old outdated lenses return to their former value. Things that were able to be bought for pennies on the dollar are now selling for dollars on the dollar (fogive me for being cheap....) Give me a bunch of new Schneider Kreusnach super zooms to ease the pain
12-27-2007, 01:04 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
Well, that market was pretty well high-graded years ago. My bigger hope is that w/ the new Samsung commitment, a whole bunch of new lenses appear making those old outdated lenses return to their former value. Things that were able to be bought for pennies on the dollar are now selling for dollars on the dollar (fogive me for being cheap....) Give me a bunch of new Schneider Kreusnach super zooms to ease the pain
This is true from what I have seen. Some very profitable Pentax lenses sold on Eekbay by some very smart people.

I'm looking forward to see the new long lenses and to see what Samsung technologies make their way into the new Pentax DSLR cameras. Samsung has deep pockets for R&D and being a leader in component manufacturing; Pentax has selected a very good partner for future photographic equipment. I am not married to Pentax, I just prefer to purchase Pentax as it is very relieable. Samsung has given me hope that they can add to the value of the Pentax brand.

Just my 2 cents.

12-27-2007, 01:21 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I don't consider myself a Pentax fanboy but I am married to the K mount. The idea of Samsung entering the DSLR market in a big way has not been talked about a lot on this forum and I am convinced it is the best thing since sliced bread for K mount fans. If we think about it in terms of K mount instead of brand name we are looking at the possibility of having 4 new bodies to choose from this coming year. There may not be a lot of differences but enough to give us more choices. Having 2 manufacturers making lenses will certainly also be a bonus.

There have been several people that have made the comment that Samsung will do nothing but service the entry level area and Pentax will abandon that segment of the market. I can't see that happening. My bet is they will both have complete offerings of bodies, each having their own distinct advantages. As excited as I am about the K20D I am going to wait to see what Samsung has to offer before buying anything.

Regards,

Ken
The release only mentions a single samsung SLR. One might suspect that it is more like than different from what the pentax release will be.

Never the less, I think it is a good thing for the K mount to become more robust in its support.
Having Sigma on board with the SDM/HSM models is a good thing as it provides choices.

Different people want different things, and if I know that I can buyout of the full sigma line
and the full pentax line for my new camera body that's a good reason to buy the body.
12-27-2007, 03:13 PM   #9
Veteran Member

So you all think that Samsung is about to close its rebranding era and develop own K-mount bodies and lenses? I'd very much like to see that. Maybe I'll buy Samsung DSLR then...
12-27-2007, 03:15 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by elho_cid Quote
So you all think that Samsung is about to close its rebranding era and develop own K-mount bodies and lenses? I'd very much like to see that. Maybe I'll buy Samsung DSLR then...
There will be more differences IMO, maybe it is a bit early for them to have an all different beast.
12-27-2007, 04:37 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Not closing, expanding

QuoteOriginally posted by elho_cid Quote
I don't think Samsung is going to stop having Pentax make some of their DSLR's, I'm suggesting there will be more differences in the Samsung and Pentax models than we have seen up to this point. A lot like the relationship between Oly and Panasonic. They may have common elements and maybe some sub assembly by one or the other. We may see a swing out LCD from Samsung but not from Pentax. The use of the K mount by Samsung is the key, we win regardless of which one is making what. More bodies and lenses to choose based on our wants and price.

Actually I'm hoping all of the people saying the sensor is a Samsung/Pentax development are wrong. My hope is the sensor is coming from Panasonic so they might be drawn into producing an APS-C body also. The 4/3 system was pitched as an open format when introduced. Why wouldn't the K mount work as the open format for APS-C?

Regards,

Ken
12-27-2007, 05:00 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Actually I'm hoping all of the people saying the sensor is a Samsung/Pentax development are wrong. My hope is the sensor is coming from Panasonic so they might be drawn into producing an APS-C body also. The 4/3 system was pitched as an open format when introduced. Why wouldn't the K mount work as the open format for APS-C?

Regards,

Ken
Because it doesn't seem to be 'open'. Open presupposes published specifications.

IT would be a great boon for consumers if any SLR lens would fit any SLR body, but alas, that is not to be because the manufacturers don't want it (at least the big dogs). the little dogs are more interested in an shared mount because it gives them some critical mass since they can't afford to make a 'full line', and many people are reluctant to go to the expense of buying a camera with interchangeable lenses if there are no lenses to interchange.
12-27-2007, 05:18 PM   #13
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by skamaraju Quote
Does that mean new ?K20D can record video too?
Probably a value-add by/for Samsung, but Pentax could license it. Hope it records Stereo Audio too, with optional external stereo mic input.
12-27-2007, 06:14 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
Probably a value-add by/for Samsung, but Pentax could license it. Hope it records Stereo Audio too, with optional external stereo mic input.
The NDA guys on this board are throwing things in the air saying " I know, I know the answer"

Could this be to add audio to .jpg or Raw, PEF, or the new supposed format rumoured?
Something some of our fixed lense cameras I believe can do in jpg.

If Pentax has live view, maybe video will be possible, although I am not a big fan of this. My S3is is OK at video, but nowhere near a video recording device. I liked the comment about hooking up an external monitor for studio work.

What would be cool for me is a removable bluetooth LcD with built in remote. Olympus with their articualting LCD would be old news compared to this...
12-28-2007, 12:35 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The only thinkopenfroma K-mount perspective is AFAIK
  • The original K-Mount (has always been open btw)
  • The KA-mount variation
  • ... nothing else

Any otrher derivate, KAF, KAF2 etc are closed patented mounts. Reason why Sigma does reverse engeering not to pay anything (and customers pays that with compatibility problems).