Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2012, 08:47 AM   #16
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
That's way too late in the current market.
Nobody made weather resist mirrorless yet...

Just my guess... It could be Ricoh G700SE's style EVIL with rugged and WR lenses.

http://www.ricoh.com/r_dc/g/g700se/features.html
Shock resistance
Water resistance
Dust and cold resistance
Chemical resistance
Operation controls easy to use even wearing gloves

01-11-2012, 08:47 AM   #17
Veteran Member

CES is traditionally at best a P&S arena and video cameras. PMA which was struggling joined in the hopes of raising their profile. Given the delay in the Kr replacement i had hoped to see that at CES but am not surprised it's not. CP= in February does have a history of big announcements (645D was first announced there for instance) Given the huge press focus on the Fuji perhaps waiting for CP+ is a smart thing. (though I would bet in the back rooms with the big buyers they are showing not only the stuff that will come out at CP+ but also previewing the prototypes of what will be launched at photokina which is the biggest show (and where the K5 was announce - and the nikon D7000 which is still running BTW)
In long ago days the higher end did not replace every year and a half but every 2-3 years at best. The rapid replacements in the digital era have been driven by the rapid tech changes. in what was essentially a brand new product category. 10 years + on the category is much more mature and the tech changes are slowing down somewhat.
01-11-2012, 08:53 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote

Just my guess... It could be Ricoh G700SE's style EVIL with rugged and WR lenses.
Pentax' weather resistant DSLR's made no real impression on the DSLR market. Because they did not really put the focus on the weather resistantness (in their advertising materials). I understand why (they don't want complaints from customers that their Pentax cameras died while being submerged in shallow water) but it would have been looked much more better in comparison to Canon and Nikon. Focus on what you can with a Pentax and not with a Canon or Nikon (from the same class). But they never did that really well...
01-11-2012, 08:55 AM   #19
ogl
Banned

Pentax' weather resistant DSLR's made no real impression on the DSLR market. Because they did not really put the focus on the weather resistantness (in their advertising materials). I understand why (they don't want complaints from customers that their Pentax cameras died while being submerged in shallow water) but it would have been looked much more better in comparison to Canon and Nikon. Focus on what you can with a Pentax and not with a Canon or Nikon (from the same class). But they never did that really well...
Canon L lenses and some Nikon lenses have WR too.

01-11-2012, 08:57 AM   #20
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
CES is traditionally at best a P&S arena and video cameras. PMA which was struggling joined in the hopes of raising their profile. Given the delay in the Kr replacement i had hoped to see that at CES but am not surprised it's not. CP= in February does have a history of big announcements (645D was first announced there for instance) Given the huge press focus on the Fuji perhaps waiting for CP+ is a smart thing.
One bird said me that we should wait for 2-3 weeks...Not till February, 9.
01-11-2012, 08:59 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yup, but the sealing in their consumer bodies is half-arsed compared to the Canon 1 series and Nikon D3/D4.
01-11-2012, 08:59 AM   #22
Veteran Member

One bird said me that we should wait for 2-3 weeks...Not till February, 9.
Feb 9th is only 4 weeks, perhaps the leaks will start on the 1st leading to the big announcement on day 1 of CP+

01-11-2012, 08:59 AM   #23

Not all Canon L lenses are WR. Someone wrote a quick list here:
Which Canon Lenses are Dust & Weather Resistant?
01-11-2012, 09:07 AM   #24
Pentaxian

We should soon see an Olympus, as the last announced 43 zoom is WR...
01-11-2012, 09:41 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Yup, but the sealing in their consumer bodies is half-arsed compared to the Canon 1 series and Nikon D3/D4.
But even those can't shake a stick at the K-7/5 weathersealing. I've shot in wet, constantly splashing conditions and watched D3's go down around while not getting splashed nearly as much as my K-5 was. THe K-5 is virtually waterproof. If Pentax/Ricoh turns their back on the weathersealing, it would be a terrible move. The K-5 body is amazing, and just need some beefier functionality, and a way better marketing push. Ricoh doesn't need to reinvent the wheel, they just need to funnel lots of money into marketing and R&D to make their bodies competitive in AF and Video.
01-11-2012, 10:43 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I understand the concerns but know that I keep using my K5 & K-x and having a great time learning more with each of them. Ricoh has had only a couple months to take charge so I think its reasonable to give them a couple weeks/months more.
01-11-2012, 04:38 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Ricoh doesn't need to reinvent the wheel, they just need to funnel lots of money into marketing and R&D to make their bodies competitive in AF and Video.
Touche.
01-13-2012, 07:50 AM   #28
Banned

G700SE / Digital Cameras | Ricoh Global
Shock resistance
Water resistance
Dust and cold resistance
Chemical resistance
Operation controls easy to use even wearing gloves
Ricoh G700SE GPS Bundle $1,750 :
SDG Systems eStore - Ricoh G700SE GPS Bundle

Pentax Optio WG-1 GPS Kit Digital Camera $246.95 w/free shipping :
Amazon.com: Pentax Optio WG-1 GPS Kit Digital Camera: Camera & Photo
01-13-2012, 08:25 AM   #29
Veteran Member

01-13-2012, 08:29 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
To be fair the Ricoh camera does come with integrated Bluetooth and 802.11 b/g. And the price quoted includes a bundle of extras:
GP-1 GPS attachment
GPS Photolink:GIS Pro software
1 year GPS Photolink software support and updates
Wall battery charger
Battery
Spare battery
Soft camera bag
4GB SD card