Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2012, 03:36 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
1/10/12 - CES: Mystery rugged-looking K-mount no-VF camera spotted

January 10, 2012

Mystery rugged-looking K-mount no-VF (maybe mirrorless) camera spotted at CES?

P3 News and Reviews is covering the CES/PMA 2012 trade show in Las Vegas and they have just posted an alert about a mysterious camera sighting at CES (text-only, no pictures), they describe it as:
"...rugged appearing, possibly mirrorless, viewfinderless camera sporting what looked like a k-mount limited or pancake lens..."
You can follow their CES/PMA 2012 coverage at P3 News & Reviews.

01-10-2012, 03:49 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Back to the starting point. Too funny!

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/170511-ces-time-8.html#post1774421
01-10-2012, 04:07 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The successor to the (now discontinued) optio WG-1? Rugged and mirrorless- fits the bill

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-10-2012, 04:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sorry thought I had read that thread but missed that reference.

01-10-2012, 11:45 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The successor to the (now discontinued) optio WG-1? Rugged and mirrorless- fits the bill
What - the wg-1 is discontinued too?
01-11-2012, 12:05 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The point-and-shoots have had a 1-year life cycle for the most part, so it's not surprising on its own, but I guess if you combine it with the fact that there's nothing new/current, then it might be a little bit alarming.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-11-2012, 12:35 AM   #7
Pentaxian

My fear in one question : where have the Pentax R&D brains landed ; or which part of them stayed in the sold "imaging division", further to the Hoya/Ricoh split ?

01-11-2012, 01:41 AM   #8
Pentaxian

The "endoscope" hemisphere of the brain is with Hoya; the "camera" hemisphere, with Ricoh.
01-11-2012, 06:55 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The point-and-shoots have had a 1-year life cycle for the most part, so it's not surprising on its own, but I guess if you combine it with the fact that there's nothing new/current, then it might be a little bit alarming.

What a way to do their first big show after buying Pentax.

1. K-r is listed as discontinued by B&H, their biggest retailer in the USA.
2. Rumors of the K-5 production ending.
3. One of their best selling Optic models (WG1)discontinued without a replacement announced.
4. Their side door to their meeting room being next to the bathroom with a big pentax sign next to a door with a big bathroom sign above it. Along with a Pentax welcome mat.
5. A both where no visitors has mentioned any products being shown. I am guessing there must be a few products there, but no visitor to the booth has mention products.
6. The only mention of a potential new product was one that was quickly hidden away when a person was going to visit the booth.

The performance of Pentax/Ricoh at PMA@CES really does not excite me into buying anthing Pentax. In fact it makes me want to hold off purchasing Pentax products.

Way to go for their first big show as PRIC.

Dave
01-11-2012, 07:39 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveBlack Quote
5. A both where no visitors has mentioned any products being shown. I am guessing there must be a few products there, but no visitor to the booth has mention products.
I posted in the other CES thread a link to a video, where they are presenting the Ricoh GXR M mount unit. So they DO have something, albeit not Pentax branded. But I agree that this is a very lame CES for PRIC.
01-11-2012, 08:35 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
PMA is not much for Pentax Style of Showing new products. I believe that Pentax will bring it's new gear by September (Photokina).
01-11-2012, 08:37 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kenn100D Quote
PMA is not much for Pentax Style of Showing new products. I believe that Pentax will bring it's new gear by September (Photokina).
That's way too late in the current market.
01-11-2012, 08:39 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hmm...didn't I start a "Revolt" thread a few months back? I hope to be completely wrong..but I'm getting tired of hitting the refresh on this browser and looking over at Rice's blog for new information!
01-11-2012, 08:45 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
That's way too late in the current market.
Well, at least for replacing all the discontinued products, let's really hope they do that no later than at cp+.
01-11-2012, 08:46 AM   #15
ogl
Banned

where is picture proof?