Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2012, 02:06 PM   #151
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Indeed, but Jon Carlson could have been the tiniest bit more enthusiastic about the current and the upcoming products. In this interview (at least) he came across as someone VERY uninterested and uninformed. ...

It's not about the message itself (we all understand that Pentax/Ricoh currently is in a special transition phase) but the way the message is told. And Pentax USA has chosen the worst possible way to do so.

No, I will not cut Jon Carlson some slack. He really has to work harder to make us Pentaxians happy. It is his work, dammit!
+1. Two weeks ago at our monthly Port Townsend Photoclub meeting, a senior photographer gave an hour's presentation on composition. She is in her 80's with some health problems, but yet showed tons more enthusiasm and energy for her photography (her career was doing set design for Saturday Night Live and similar shows) than i've seen at CES from JC or from Pentax/Ricoh since October.

I was in management for a number of years, and so i would look higher for solutions. Ned - get busy and fix these problems! And for pity sake, move out to your headquarters - like yesterday.

My fanboy attitude started to crack when i saw JC's remarks about remote tethering. Unengaged and patronizing. Maybe i'm wrong, but i think its part of a VP of sales job to carry back the message that there's an irritated mob out there that wants tethering; can we do anything for them? JC - be a conduit, not an insulator for feedback.

Its not that i care that much about tethering at the moment, but whenever i see a camera company limit capabilities, i hear the sound - ka ching, ka ching - of some other brand's cash registers ringing up sales from prior Pentax owners. Each photography interest area carries with it a segment of the owners - ignore any of them and you lose sales - don't care about video performanice - ka ching - don't care about tethering - ka ching - don't care about flash performance - ka ching, etc. 4% of sales - wow, we did good this year.

If Pentax/Ricoh doesn't care about what their customers want, then as Fontan said, its a free country and customers are FREE to spend their money anywhere they want. Check out the Other Brands forum and there's a ton of enthusiasm for the new models being produced by companies that apparently really care about what the consumers want.

Last edited by philbaum; 01-13-2012 at 02:36 PM.
01-13-2012, 02:14 PM   #152
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yep, I completely agree, with so many Pentaxian's already contemplating jumping ship and seeing what was said at that interview would be enough to push people to jump.

Ka-ching!

That tiny Pentax booth with nothing to show except for a Ricoh product, the toilet shenanigans and that rubbish interview, its no wonder Pentax are the laughing stock in photography.

Last edited by TOUGEFC; 01-13-2012 at 07:45 PM.
01-13-2012, 02:18 PM   #153

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
Ok, let me get this straight.

1) You don't know the guy
2) You never heard of him
3) Is it safe to assume that you do not know his exact job description is, correct?
4) Is it safe to assume that you do not know what his constraints are within his job description, correct?
5) And in your "humble" opinion, you think he sucks

Yeah, he may well suck badly, and I don't know where you live, but it is a free country in America, and yes there is a thing called freedom of speech and all that. But I see no "humbleness" in you opinion though, not that I was expecting much of it around here. All this trash talk about JC just flabbergast me. If this is the kind of crowd that Pentax has to cater to in order to achieve success, I see nothing good in Pentax's future endeavors.

Maybe it makes complete sense that they don't spend a whole lot on advertising. It is a lost cause.
Oh please! Pentax is in a highly competitive market and every brand here is fighting for attention. You saw the Sony commercials for NEX? The Canon ads that seem to be everywhere?

Now, in this case, the fact is the guy here have an opportunity to speak the virtues of Pentax and get the news out. For free! Medias online and in paper are reporting from the show, existing users are listening and some prospective customers will take notice of what's happening.

So let's say you are an editor of one of those magazines and is writing a wrap up of the show. This is where your readers find an outline of the current trends, info on what's cooking in the labs at Nikon, a glimpse into the amazing tech behind Sony's sensor etc. What are you, the editor, going to do with this interview in order to make a feature the your readers will find interesting? Tough luck, I say, you would have to make it up yourself because there is nothing to hang your article on. I think my headline would be: "Pentax call for a time out!"

It gets emotional in Pentax-land and maybe people are unneccessarily hard on John. But I think we are concerned that it really points to deep structural problems in how Pentax relates not only to their customers but also to their partners.
01-13-2012, 03:16 PM   #154
Site Supporter

I agree, the content of this interview is just appalling.
At a certain stage, better keep silent than issue such a "bar-corner" and low-cost intervention.

Last edited by Zygonyx; 01-14-2012 at 01:09 AM.
01-13-2012, 04:33 PM   #155
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by H. Sapiens Quote
Oh please! Pentax is in a highly competitive market and every brand here is fighting for attention. You saw the Sony commercials for NEX? The Canon ads that seem to be everywhere?

Now, in this case, the fact is the guy here have an opportunity to speak the virtues of Pentax and get the news out. For free! Medias online and in paper are reporting from the show, existing users are listening and some prospective customers will take notice of what's happening.

So let's say you are an editor of one of those magazines and is writing a wrap up of the show. This is where your readers find an outline of the current trends, info on what's cooking in the labs at Nikon, a glimpse into the amazing tech behind Sony's sensor etc. What are you, the editor, going to do with this interview in order to make a feature the your readers will find interesting? Tough luck, I say, you would have to make it up yourself because there is nothing to hang your article on. I think my headline would be: "Pentax call for a time out!"

It gets emotional in Pentax-land and maybe people are unneccessarily hard on John. But I think we are concerned that it really points to deep structural problems in how Pentax relates not only to their customers but also to their partners.
Oh please. We are talking about cameras and lenses. Gadgets. Nobody's dying here. It is not worth being judgmental.
01-13-2012, 07:03 PM   #156
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by H. Sapiens Quote

I liked your reply, too bad you quoted him though because then I had to read his post (he's the only one on my ignore list).
01-13-2012, 08:08 PM   #157
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I liked your reply, too bad you quoted him though because then I had to read his post (he's the only one on my ignore list).
Not surprising at all that the ignore list is the best you can do. Not surprising at all.
01-13-2012, 08:11 PM   #158
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
On a lot of ignore lists it seems...

Last edited by panoguy; 01-13-2012 at 08:18 PM.
01-13-2012, 08:15 PM   #159
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
(What was that? Crickets? Or just a tiny little violin somewhere.)
Sure. Let the cheap shots fly. I am sure it is easier doing that than justifying embarrassing behaviors. Great job.
01-13-2012, 08:26 PM   #160
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Yeah, I use it sparingly.
01-13-2012, 10:41 PM   #161
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
That tiny Pentax booth with nothing to show except for a Ricoh product, the toilet shenanigans and that rubbish interview, its no wonder Pentax are the laughing stock in photography.
Did we suffer these same types of comments when Hoya took over Pentax?
01-13-2012, 10:51 PM   #162
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clinton Quote
Did we suffer these same types of comments when Hoya took over Pentax?
Actually, yes. In 2010 they didn't have a boot at PDN and other trade shows. And last year they were there, but with something less than a booth - more of a display case in the middle of the floor. So despite the misgivings, there is an upwards trajectory.
01-13-2012, 10:54 PM   #163

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
Let the cheap shots fly.
as the ying to all the other yang ... I looked at some of your photo's on flikr and I was impressed.

It may not mean much from a photographer that has more to learn than you, but I had something nice to say so I did what my mother taught me and said it
01-13-2012, 11:00 PM   #164
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
the USA is ... still the world's most optimistic, creative and forward thinking people.
As this thread so amply demonstrates.
01-13-2012, 11:21 PM   #165
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by drugal Quote
as the ying to all the other yang ... I looked at some of your photo's on flikr and I was impressed.

It may not mean much from a photographer that has more to learn than you, but I had something nice to say so I did what my mother taught me and said it

Thank you. It means a great deal. I have also looked at your photos, and I think you know far more than you think you know about photography. I say you keep on shooting. We all have a long way to go. More importantly, I think you understand decency, which is infinitely more important.

I just think that to hang one's hat (not yours!) on preconceived notions and lame assumptions only make one look stupid and mediocre. Once pushed and questioned, these people run from it with "ignore list" instead of having meaningful come backs. But, it is what it is. Mediocrity drives mediocrity, and it feels like that is what happens around here many of the times.

Sad.