Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 26 Likes Search this Thread
01-13-2012, 11:43 PM   #166
Veteran Member

Did anyone actually look in the toilet to see if Pentax were doing a demo in there?

01-14-2012, 09:02 AM   #167

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
4. If Pentax were going to try out a mirrorless design, it makes more sense to try something out on a entry level model line than to to it first on the flagship model line.
Didn't they already do that with the Q? I see the Q as partly a learning experience, Pentax experimenting with a mirrorless interchangeable lens camera in a format that won't hurt their K-mount ranges. What they have learnt will inform an eventual mirrorless APS-C mount, but I think it would be premature for anyone to come out with such a mount right now.

Meanwhile the Q has been successful enough in Asian markets to pay for itself. I expect they'll bring out a new Q-mount camera in a year or two, with improved (and probably larger) sensors.
01-14-2012, 10:43 AM   #168
Inactive Account

This seems to indicate that Pentax is going to focus on their DSLR line across the board.

CES 2012 final day photography news blog (update) news - Amateur Photographer - news, camera reviews, lens reviews, camera equipment guides, photography courses, competitions, photography forums
01-14-2012, 12:41 PM   #169
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Brangdon Quote
Didn't they already do that with the Q? I see the Q as partly a learning experience, Pentax experimenting with a mirrorless interchangeable lens camera in a format that won't hurt their K-mount ranges. What they have learnt will inform an eventual mirrorless APS-C mount, but I think it would be premature for anyone to come out with such a mount right now.

Meanwhile the Q has been successful enough in Asian markets to pay for itself. I expect they'll bring out a new Q-mount camera in a year or two, with improved (and probably larger) sensors.
I would agree.If looking at the Q I would accentuate some details:
1. Q-System: Pentax is able to build a new system with some lenses from scratch (well, of course)
2. magnesium body: it's a very well designed body wich lays empasis on solidity and good ergonomy
3. Interface: despite the size it does not compromise the functions and usability
4. Technology: it has some unique and innovative features, like built in lens shutter and electronic shutter, ND-filter, shake reduction
(Edit)5. Processing: well, most people agree, that Pentax did a good job on IQ for this sensor size; extrapolating from K5 (also in comparison to other man. with same sensor) this reconfirmes that they know what they are doing here

All of this is very encouraging and promising regarding a bigger brother which would also smooth out the small sensor, which is part of the concept for the Q-System, but does not suit everybody.

And I also tend to agree with your prognosis: when looking at the photozone tests of the lenses and their lack of vignetting and the fact that they have almost no falloff to the corners could indicate that a slightly larger sensor could also be covered with this lenses/mount. And maybe there could be special editions, no, not glitter and pink, but with a foveon sensor or some other new technology, which could be affordable first in this sensor size, who knows.

So here my predictions:
this year: larger mirrorless, new superzoom-bridge cam with some gimmicks, new entry K-r-type camera, (new K5-type)... other things may come, but later.
Cheers, D

Last edited by MMVIII; 01-14-2012 at 01:20 PM.
01-14-2012, 01:03 PM   #170
Veteran Member

Over the course of the last two days I have lost my pessism. Using my K5 strengthens the good gut feeling, it is for my purposes just an incredible camera. And what you're saying about the Q (a perspektive I did not have before) sounds good and is interesting.
01-14-2012, 01:20 PM   #171
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for that link. It's good news.

"Pentax hints at new DSLR
Pentax wants to develop its range of consumer DSLRs. A spokesman was tight-lipped over what we can expect but insisted its range must cater for all levels of consumer, including the lower-end. Pentax also admitted that the Thailand floods have caused a shortage of DSLR components. "
01-14-2012, 01:57 PM   #172
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I know that I am on the ignore list of many, but I just had to say it; it would be funniest thing I have ever heard if this tight lipped spokesperson happens to be JC.

01-14-2012, 03:04 PM   #173
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Is there really an "ignore" list?
01-14-2012, 03:24 PM   #174

lol so we might get a

K-low 200-400€
Q
K-r successor 500-700€
K-5 in production till end 2012 for 800€

and if that is not enough you can (as the next direct step)

645D for 10.000€

We do absolutly need more "low" end, cause the K5 eat away the 645D margins.....
01-14-2012, 06:24 PM   #175
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
Is there really an "ignore" list?
Yes. Click on the persons name at the top of their post. The box that opens has a list in red but to the upper right are two greyed out options - Friend - Ignore. Make your selection and confirm and you are done. Good luck.
01-14-2012, 10:21 PM   #176
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mehlsack Quote
lol so we might get a

K-low 200-400€
Q
K-r successor 500-700€
K-5 in production till end 2012 for 800€

and if that is not enough you can (as the next direct step)

645D for 10.000€

We do absolutly need more "low" end, cause the K5 eat away the 645D margins.....
You sir, hit the nail on the head.

I sincerely hope that the larger mirrorless that is rumored will both happen and be succesful. Give me an X1 Pro with SR and manual focus assists and I'll be happy. Make it fullframe and I will pay the difference and you'll really "be different", and perhaps lessen your userbase turnover.
01-14-2012, 11:25 PM   #177
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Yes. Click on the persons name at the top of their post. The box that opens has a list in red but to the upper right are two greyed out options - Friend - Ignore. Make your selection and confirm and you are done. Good luck.
Right. But, what many people do is to log off and read the thread. So it is always infinitely a chicken- sh*t move.
01-15-2012, 12:02 AM   #178

Frankly, I don't even know where to put this since so many of these threads become the same thing over and over.

If Pentax for sure is sticking to only APS-C... they better be the best damn APS-C cameras in the industry. The K-5 is very good, but let's see Pentax give some serious functionality upgrades. I'm talking about using Continuous and Exposure Bracketing. How about also throwing in tethering.

Top it off with a shiny new sensor and a DA* 35mm, 85mm and spike the football in the end zone.
01-15-2012, 12:44 AM   #179
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kryscendo Quote
Top it off with a shiny new sensor and a DA* 35mm, 85mm and spike the football in the end zone.
In other words, stop being Tim Tebow and start being Tom Brady?

01-15-2012, 12:48 AM   #180
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mehlsack Quote
"We" don't need it, but probably Ricoh does. Big income by Canon and Nikon is done with the lower end DSRLs, and Pentax has not one in their line up. And sadly the game is about profit, non fulfilling forum dreams.