Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2012, 02:34 PM   #61
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
They should do a DA* 600/5.6. Much more useful IMHO!

(I used my F* 250-600 mainly at 600mm so I know how small is the difference between even 250 and 600mm...)
Perhaps they should do a deal with NASA and get a wireless tether going to connect up to Hubble. Now THAT is a telephoto lens!

01-12-2012, 02:36 PM   #62
Veteran Member

I agree on that and I definetly like the Q, but I can't afford it...
01-12-2012, 02:44 PM   #63
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Most people seem to like the Q, but it's priced too high.

It's priced because it's rugged (with a magnesium alloy body) and better built than the (mainly plastic) competition. And, it's fun to use (I like my Q more than my K-5, go figure...)
01-12-2012, 02:45 PM   #64

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
I know John Carlson has said before that he thinks this forum is full of nasty people, so I don't want to add to that reputation, but when I see him do interviews I always wonder if he knows as little about what people want from Pentax as it seems like he does, or if he's just toeing the company line, so to speak.
That's the first I've heard that ... but, really? If the guy doesn't like the people in this forum, who the hell does he think he's marketing to?

"Now, things would be perfect if we could just get rid of our user base ..."

01-12-2012, 03:01 PM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Most people seem to like the Q, but it's priced too high.

It's priced because it's rugged (with a magnesium alloy body) and better built than the (mainly plastic) competition. And, it's fun to use (I like my Q more than my K-5, go figure...)
Can you give me a blog, flickr or portfolio of yours to see some of the q-pictures?
01-12-2012, 03:09 PM   #66
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mister Horrible Quote
That's the first I've heard that ... but, really? If the guy doesn't like the people in this forum, who the hell does he think he's marketing to?

"Now, things would be perfect if we could just get rid of our user base ..."
It was a loaded situation. I think he came in good faith around the time when the K-7 came out, when people were freaking out about how the K-7's noise performance was worse than the K20D/K-x. So I can I see where he was coming from. Still, if you see what people are saying here, it's pretty much the same on Dpreview, and if you want to learn you've got to take the good with the bad. If anything, I think the comments on the Pentax Facebook page are the most vicious.

Also, as someone who works for a corporation, I sympathize with not being able to say all that you'd like to say in an interview.
01-12-2012, 03:12 PM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
It certainly doesn't sound like that.
It's standard procedure, to stop making cameras soon-to-be-replaced; they did it with every model. And the K-r will be replaced by another DSLR.

But on this forum, everything is a sign they'll go full-mirrorless
Perhaps i'm reading too much into the JC's comments, but:
1. the interviewer asked about a replacement for that "model"
2. JC comes back with we've discontinued that "product" which sounded more global to me "model"
3. later JC says: as to a replacement: he couldn't comment on that. Whats so controversial about a replacment model, except if there is no exact replacement being considered.
4. If Pentax were going to try out a mirrorless design, it makes more sense to try something out on a entry level model line than to to it first on the flagship model line.
5. IMO, the Km-Kr product line is more vulnerable to the appeal of mirrorless cameras than the K5 for a variety of reasons,e.g. the compact nature of the KmKr was always one of the appeals-precisely the appeal of the mirrorless compact.

01-12-2012, 03:29 PM   #68
Pentaxian

Yes, I'd say you're reading too much; "product" means the K-r and of course he won't comment on it's replacement before the official announcement.
Future Pentax DSLRs should be even smaller (which is not necessarily a good thing).
01-12-2012, 03:34 PM   #69
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
It certainly doesn't sound like that.
It's standard procedure, to stop making cameras soon-to-be-replaced; they did it with every model. And the K-r will be replaced by another DSLR.

But on this forum, everything is a sign they'll go full-mirrorless
How about the K-r being replace by a FF camera at the same price and size. :-)

Dave
01-12-2012, 05:26 PM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Sux when your very own customers critically, rationally and very publicly rebuke your company's business strategy, doesn't it? I recall JC had a member profile here where he would answer questions - as long as we adhered to the admonishment that we be polite, not overly critical and not expect timely repsonses to our questions.

That lasted about - what? - a week?
Its very hard to market to people that know more about your product than you do.
01-12-2012, 05:48 PM   #71
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oof, all I see is Pentax keeping with the nominal flow under Hoya. From my perspective, that interview was a bust for expecting innovation in the future - quite the opposite in fact. Hopefully that rep was clueless, but I doubt it.
01-12-2012, 05:48 PM   #72
Veteran Member

To be honest, someone like JC coming into this forum was a bad move to start. There's no way that he'd be able to answer questions, requests for new features, and demands for changes in any way that would satisfy the folks here or on any forum. As others said, what he can say is determined by others, not himself. For example, how could he answer the question "Why is my K-7 noisier at high ISO than the K20d?" to anyone's real satisfaction?

What he could and should do is offer an exclusive interview to PentaxForums, where forum members could vote on 5 questions to ask him, and he can respond to them specifically. A more controlled environment might have made everyone happier.
01-12-2012, 05:52 PM   #73
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
It was a loaded situation. I think he came in good faith around the time when the K-7 came out, when people were freaking out about how the K-7's noise performance was worse than the K20D/K-x. So I can I see where he was coming from. Still, if you see what people are saying here, it's pretty much the same on Dpreview, and if you want to learn you've got to take the good with the bad. If anything, I think the comments on the Pentax Facebook page are the most vicious.

Also, as someone who works for a corporation, I sympathize with not being able to say all that you'd like to say in an interview.
Look at what other people in the industry are doing.

Panasonic - lens road map
Sony - lens road map
Olympus - lens road map
Fuji - lens road map

Pentax - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Pentax users just want a company that can communicate. They want a company that has direction. I am a multi-brand user and not really tied to any one brand, but Pentax's core user group is a passionate, proud group who want to see the brand be successful. Pentax has let them down on many occasions. If JC does not like that passion then he is in the wrong business. He better be happy to see it.

Last edited by Winder; 01-12-2012 at 06:18 PM.
01-12-2012, 05:59 PM   #74
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
Falk:
Thanks for the link to such an interesting article. Purely in the interest of ornithological accuracy (I'm an ornithologist), and please don't be offended, but the bird in the photo isn't a goshawk (habicht, Accipter gentilis). It is a kestrel (turmfalk, Falco tinnunculus).
- Tony Lang
OT:

Tony, thank you so much for the info. I tried and failed to identify the bird. It is hunting in the trees next to my office on a regular base and if I am not mistaken, it is one of three youngsters born that year or the year before. It is still in the county of Munich but quite rural. It is somewhat hard to take a photo of because this kestrel seems to avoid nearby humans. And in flight, it is pretty fast.

Of course, given my avatar name, I should be able to recognize a falcon
01-12-2012, 06:28 PM   #75

I am with Falconeye and ogl in this one, 200-500/5,6 is quite versatile and with a longe reach. A good sealing and a faster Autofocus might wrap it up and with a pricing around 2-3k it is "affordable"
300/f2,8 is someting "special", for some really rare occasions...

I think today a good TC is absolutly useful, because it "doubles" your Lens-Lineup....

And i think with the Q they did it the wrong way around, they should have based the body for around 399€, maybee 499€ with a standart lens, and the additional lenses maybe a bit more expensive, or with the same price(as they are now), but sorry, why should ANYONE buy this cute thing when he can have almost everything the Q offers for less then half the price?

Ok it is small, it is cute, it does have some functions other P&S lag, but seriously?!