Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 26 Likes Search this Thread
01-12-2012, 11:19 PM   #91
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
I was pretty upset by the interview, to be honest. I honestly think I am going to get to the point where it is necessary for me to switch brands. I'm in the film production business, and there is something to be said for using an "acceptable" brand of equipment. There are instances right now in which someone will get a gig because they use a certain camera (i.e. Canon 7D).

From what Carlson said, it doesn't look like Pentax is even interested in being a part of the conversation when it comes to video production. And he is kidding himself if he thinks many professionals would prefer to have to set an auto-i.s.o. range, then switch modes to video, then hope the auto i.s.o. is set to the i.s.o. they want to use, rather than simply being able to set the i.s.o. themselves. That is a joke, and it is embarrassing to have to work that way.

The fact that Pentax would send a representative to a show without giving any positive news seems ridiculous to me. What are they hoping to achieve, showing up and saying "well, we have nothing to tell our you." Saying that they're "looking at" longer lenses for the Q and K mounts, and that full frame "is out there," or whatever he said?

It all seems ridiculous to me. I can't believe they wouldn't send him out with a message like "we are doing our best to make the most dynamic, exciting, high-quality imaging products we can make," or "we are working to become a leader in the photographic industry over the next few years."

They are literally not giving us any indication that they are interested in being a leader in APS-C. Nothing. 645? yes, absolutely. The Q? Interesting. APS-C? We don't even know what the next camera will be. And, aside from the degree of quality, is there anything particularly innovative about the K5?

If that guy is there senior manager of sales and marketing, it is no wonder they are not selling better or marketing at all. I can't believe they would be happy with this guy.

To put it another way: do you think there is anyone out there who uses another brand who would read that interview, then say "wow, Pentax sounds interesting -I'd like to check out some their cameras."

Excitement is contagious. There is no better way to induce excitement about your products than to be excited yourself. Carlson actually says he's "cautiously optimistic" about industry, but not that he's excited about anything.

In contrast: Canon announced that their C300 was going to be a landmark event in the history of cinema. Fuji marketed a $1200 fixed lens as some sort of classy step forward in camera development. Same thing with the X-Pro 1. Hasselblad and Leica market themselves as premium brands. Sony markets themselves as "the future."

Pentax says "a high quality lens is going to give you better results than a compact camera where it's all combined together..."

"think we're pretty confident with our current direction with the APS-C and the 645, because we're addressing the consumer market as well the professional market."

"Obviously, there's material or product available out there, and it's still a great camera. It's still a very capable camera."

"You just look at what we have available, that's definitely where I would say we have a hole that I hope we explore."

[about video control features]"...I think what's important is to realize that while that stuff is... would be nice to have, it's not absolutely necessary."

"...our cameras are definitely very capable."

These are not the types of message the industry leaders are sending.
Completely agree, that interview gave no excitement for the future whatsoever.

Last edited by jeffshaddix; 01-12-2012 at 11:34 PM.
01-12-2012, 11:26 PM   #92
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm with Fuent on this one. This interview gives me no confidence that Pentax has any idea what they are going to do or become next.
Having worked at the sales end of large organizations for many years, I have never seen such a poorly prepared set of responses ever come out of someone with a title of Senior Manager of Sales and Marketing.
It is almost as if he doesn't really give a care, perhaps he is on his way out. Has he actually been running sales and marketing in the US for Pentax? No wonder it has no presence.
- You never mention competitors or their products unless pressed, yet he casually compares Pentax to Sony?
- You don't guess at what market results mean, you do market research to understand what the market and your customers want/need and create products that fulfill those.
- Even if you do expect customers to have to use bubble gum and scotch tape to work around a product shortfall, you don't advertise that as such and tout it as the modus operandi.
- You confidently and enthusiastically proclaim the superiority of your features and products, you don't confirm that a new product was not accepted by the market and you are hopeful that they will come to terms with your idea of why it may be a good product.
-Even if you don't know what the company's direction is, you pretend to know, indicate that it is the best thing ever and say you are not authorized to disclose it.

Sigh.

I love my Pentax DSLRS, but I am disappointed in the organization. They should have sent someone who cares about Pentax and its customers to do this interview instead.
01-12-2012, 11:57 PM   #93
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
If anything I think that for the sake of your blood pressure you ought to switch brands today.

I guess that was quite the rant on my part.
01-13-2012, 12:15 AM - 1 Like   #94
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
Q. Nor does this strategy address the thousands of consumers/enthusiasts looking for a system with an upgrade path (which K -> 645 is not). And this strategy certainly doesn't mitigate the constant turnover in the Pentax user-base for systems with a FF option. .
But with a lens line up that is composed for at least two third of the optics being strictly for APS-C, neither a FF is an upgrade path. FF is for owners of old K lens. An upgrade path is a professional APS-C camera, the like of the old Nikon D2H and X.

I am sure there would be no market for it, exactly as for a Pentax FF.

People invested in pricey K lenses (A*, F*, FA* and limiteds) are very few. People invested in APS-C Pentax lenses are very few.People invested in Pentax at all are very few. The only way for Ricoh Pentax to get many people interested into its products would be with something totally missing from the market, like a full frame mirrorless, a really cheap digital medium format, or a underwater APS-C system camera. Anything else would be of interest only to longtime K users and Pentax fanboys. And long time K users and Pentax fanboys are an exceedingly tiny fraction of the market.

01-13-2012, 12:19 AM   #95
TAP
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I hope I am wrong. I hope the reason Pentax is so quiet is because they have something so cool and revolutionary ready to launch that they are laying low and plan on stealing the show next month
I really hope this is the case. I really hope they give us something worth the wait and silence we've patiently, or rather impatiently endured.
01-13-2012, 12:35 AM   #96
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
I guess that was quite the rant on my part.
It is quite alright. It is to me however not worth getting mad about. We are talking about gadgets.
01-13-2012, 01:06 AM   #97
Pentaxian

I wish people would stop trying to read between lines when JC says something.

He is just a salesman. He does not know what the real Pentax is planning/doing. The problem is not that he isn't at liberty to disclose information, he just doesn't know anything (that isn't commonly known anyhow).

It is a mistake to conclude the absence of any plan or passion at Pentax from the cluelessness of JC. The real Pentax surely will positively surprise us. Pentax marketing USA is not the real Pentax.

If only JC were a good salesman, but unfortunately his appearances typically turn out to be a disservice to Pentax. I wish him all the best personally but his real talent must lie in another area.

Last edited by Class A; 01-13-2012 at 01:13 AM.
01-13-2012, 01:11 AM   #98
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote

He is just a salesman. He does not know what the real Pentax is planning/doing. The problem is not that he isn't at liberty to disclose information, he just doesn't know anything (that isn't commonly known anyhow).

If only he were a good salesman, but unfortunately his appearances typically turn out to be a disservice to Pentax. I wish him all the best personally but his real talent must lie in another area.
You are definitely right - he is not a good salesman. I wonder what made them post it even on facebook to a large community. People complain there a lot as well - this gives not the best picture...
01-13-2012, 01:19 AM   #99
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How the hell do you guys know that he is a bad salesman? You guys are crazy. Even if he was (or not), I doubt he has any say in anything of importance whatsoever regarding sales strategy.
01-13-2012, 01:22 AM   #100
Veteran Member

I guess he is meant to sell me at least something. His medium was this interview, and he was not successful. However, you are right, I should be more precise. I didn't mean to say, that he is in general a bad salesman, but rather to me he's not a good one.
01-13-2012, 01:33 AM   #101
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote

That's not right I think. When new cameras and/or lenses are coming he must know way in advance in order to have the marketing materials ready. Magazine ad space needs to be reserved, bodies and lenses must be provided to the press for reviewing, etc.

If Jon Carlson is really clueless about future Pentax products then that says something about Pentax USA in the world scheme of Pentax things. Anyone have sales data based on continents (Americas, Europe, Asia etc.)?
01-13-2012, 05:02 AM   #102
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
That's not right I think. When new cameras and/or lenses are coming he must know way in advance in order to have the marketing materials ready. Magazine ad space needs to be reserved, bodies and lenses must be provided to the press for reviewing, etc.

If Jon Carlson is really clueless about future Pentax products then that says something about Pentax USA in the world scheme of Pentax things. Anyone have sales data based on continents (Americas, Europe, Asia etc.)?
He doesn't exactly come across as a guy who is really" on top of it" in the interview.

The interview is a complete waste of time. If he has nothing to say then don't do the interview. I don't see the point in sitting down for an interview if you have nothing to say. You want to think that you have to be a pretty capable/competent person to hold his position, but when you read his interviews he does not come across that way. Of course when you look at how awesome Pentax marketing has been in the USA you can't help but be amazed at the job he has done (wish there was a sarcasm font).

I do think that Japanese companies keep their non-Japanese divisions in the dark. He probably is on a pretty short leash.
01-13-2012, 05:42 AM   #103
Veteran Member

Some of you folks won't be happy until Pentax becomes.... Nikon. Or Canon. Anything but Pentax.

Seriously, why are you folks choosing to live with constant and repeated disappointment? Swallow hard and pay the price to switch. Leave the sentimentality at the door. Get the camera system that fits your photographic needs and take some photos already.

Pentax is a camera company, not a puppy or high school sweetheart.

Now where's my coffee?

[end rant]
01-13-2012, 05:48 AM   #104
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Some of you folks won't be happy until Pentax becomes.... Nikon. Or Canon. Anything but Pentax.

Seriously, why are you folks choosing to live with constant and repeated disappointment? Swallow hard and pay the price to switch. Leave the sentimentality at the door. Get the camera system that fits your photographic needs and take some photos already.

Pentax is a camera company, not a puppy or high school sweetheart.

Now where's my coffee?

[end rant]
I just like information -- particularly to know a general direction the company is taking. Do I need to start saving for full frame? Is a sweet mirrorless APS-C on the way?

A lens road map would be a good start.

It has been a long time since the kr and K5 were released, we are due for new cameras and I'd like to know what is next.

The US Pentax division is completely clueless as to where Ricoh is going to take Pentax and so, interviewing any of them is pretty silly.
01-13-2012, 06:01 AM   #105
Veteran Member

Rondec see below. this is the reality.

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Chill out fellas. The Ricoh purchase was just a couple of months ago. It takes some time to assess where the skillsets and assets and skunkworks and product roadmaps come together. Ricoh probably has some ideas on where the camera industry is going and where they want to be. Likewise Pentax. It takes a while to figure where they should go together. They're thinking about strategic decisions, product lines, org charts, and financial and resource projections, supply chain integration, sales and marketing coordination, etc... all while holding down their day jobs running businesses. The decisions they make now will impact the company's course heading for the next 5 years. It is not a decision to be made in haste.

To think that they could be acquired in October and have done all of that and given product teams time to develop and announce new gear is a bit far-fetched. In the meantime, if your needs aren't currently being met by Pentax, do not hesitate to look elsewhere, especially if those needs put food on the table.
Well put John. in reality even if he knows the entire next years marketing he wouldn't be at liberty to discuss it until Japan has announced. And 3 months is a very short time fr Ricoh to have had any impact on a pending release. So in reality if a new camera comes at CP+ It will be as much the swansong of Hoya as it is Ricoh's new face
now there is still the chance they will launch a roadmap and show they will have big things for photokina (no need to show specs or even a prototype just a planned launch time frame - but be prepared to meet those dates or have chicken little appear again)