Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 26 Likes Search this Thread
01-12-2012, 08:13 AM   #1

Interview with Pentax Japan Executive

This looks interesting.

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/interview/20120113_504147.html

They seem to talk about Q, 645D and K-mount lenses (I guess).

However, I can hardly understand a word with G*** translation.

Maybe somebody who reads Japanese can give us the key topics?

01-12-2012, 08:42 AM   #2
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
it seems to me it's Interview about nothing: nothing any hints about new cameras and lenses....
01-12-2012, 09:01 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Here is the original:
――スマートフォンとの競合を意識する発言もありましたが、通信機能、ソーシャル対応、あるいはスマートフォン連携などで何か考えていることは?
「どういう方法がベストなのかを考えています。カメラ自身にSNSへのアクセス機能を入れるのがいいのか、それともカメラに徹してスマート フォンに画像を転送する仕組みだけを提供するのか。SNS対応だけでなく、コンパクトデジタルカメラでチャレンジしている画質・機能両面での様々なアイ ディアは、すべてPENTAX Qの中に織り込んでいけると考えていますから、注目しておいてください」

Here is the google translation of the section specific to the K lenses:
- The expansion would also have been desirable for the K-mount lenses, plans for the future? "Of course, we have planned as well as lenses of K Q. However, to some extent as a system, the lens is aligned so necessary, and Q is mounted at a different point value. Because it allows the system prior to go out and cut a different lens. for K mount lens goes out of character. it takes time to develop than absolute refinement of an existing lens, can not say that is rapidly turning Ikima is not, since we are challenging the new type of lens, please wait a little "

I THINK what is being said is that the K lens lineup is pretty established and not in need of anything radical so its taking a back seat to Q lens development and K owners need to be patient.
01-12-2012, 09:04 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That translation is hilarious!

01-12-2012, 09:09 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Here is the google translation of the section specific to the K lenses:
- The expansion would also have been desirable for the K-mount lenses, plans for the future? "Of course, we have planned as well as lenses of K Q. However, to some extent as a system, the lens is aligned so necessary, and Q is mounted at a different point value. Because it allows the system prior to go out and cut a different lens. for K mount lens goes out of character. it takes time to develop than absolute refinement of an existing lens, can not say that is rapidly turning Ikima is not, since we are challenging the new type of lens, please wait a little "
If this is going to be true, I'll be disappointed. No new lenses? No DA*400? No new wheathersealed lenses? Well, good times for Fuji and Canikon then in my case...
01-12-2012, 09:10 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sinister Quote
If this is going to be true, I'll be disappointed. No new lenses? No DA*400? No new wheathersealed lenses? Well, good times for Fuji and Canikon then in my case...
I imagine it means that they are currently working on the Q and for K-mount people to just hang on a little bit more.
01-12-2012, 09:14 AM   #7
Veteran Member

How much longer? The most recent lens has been a DA-L! I want to have an indication where they are heading in order to evaluate where I am heading to...

01-12-2012, 09:30 AM - 4 Likes   #8
Veteran Member

Interview with John Carlson

Imaging Resource Interview:*John Carlson, Pentax - Imaging Resource
01-12-2012, 09:39 AM   #9
Veteran Member

thank you for this!

accursed. the one time I wanted to actually express my enthusiasm with full caps, and noooooo~ the forum edits it for me.
01-12-2012, 09:54 AM   #10
Veteran Member

While as one would expect, he isn't in a position to completely confirm specifics about Pentax, there is a lot of info there which should help alleviate all the rumor mill here. Thanks for posting!
01-12-2012, 09:57 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Thanks for sharing! Interesting, yet not really providing a clear direction...
01-12-2012, 09:57 AM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

John Carlson, Senior Manager of Sales and Marketing at Pentax Ricoh Imaging Americas Corp. says:
"...we have the Pentax resources, and then obviously the Ricoh resources.
They are interested in growing and expanding the Pentax brand."
One doesn't "grow and expand" a brand by killing it. Case closed. Back to the cheese.
01-12-2012, 09:57 AM   #13
Veteran Member

How to say virtually nothing in ten easy steps
He kept any hint of new very close to his chest.
At least they acknowledge a 300 2.8 specifically
01-12-2012, 10:00 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
John Carlson, Senior Manager of Sales and Marketing at Pentax Ricoh Imaging Americas Corp. says:
...we have the Pentax resources, and then obviously the Ricoh resources. They are interested in growing and expanding the Pentax brand.
One doesn't "grow and expand" a brand by killing it. Case closed. Back to the cheese.
Not a new statement though, that was said as soon as the purchase was announced

anyway where is that cheese again

aahhhh there it is

01-12-2012, 10:25 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

Awesome interview. Good to know Pentax is still wondering what to do, and considering options.

Several times he mentions "resources" and implies they don't have any. They don't have the resources to develop tethering? Really? Hoping a 3rd party will do it for them for free I'm sure.

Lens line up is complete? No 85mm, no 135mm (which are both very usable on APS-C). I really hope this guy doesn't have a clue what is going on. That would be more reassuring.